• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root All I want is Frodo 2.2 + root...but how???

lnong

Jun 4, 2010
All I want to do is upgrade to Froyo 2.2 and retain root so that I can use Wireless Tether. I've been reading several different EVO/Android forums but it seems like the more I read, the more confusing it gets. I'm still a noob, but here are my questions so I hope someone can lay it all out in the open for me.

Currently, my EVO has Unrevoked3 applied so I'm running on the "updated" 2.1, and I have root access and wireless tether is working as of now. Phone specs are:

Firmware version: 2.1-update1
Baseband version: 2.05.00.06.10
Build/Software number: 1.47.651.1
PRI version: 1.40_003
PRL version: 60665

1) What is the best/most reliable way for me to update to 2.2? Can I use Unrevoked Forever to do so? Or do I have to use some manual method? Toast's method? ROM Manager?

2) I read the steps for installing on the Unrevoked site, but I don't understand the terms it uses. It says to "flash from custom recovery". First of all, how do I access this custom recovery tool or whatever? Second, some ppl said they use a ROM Manager. Other sites say to "boot into recovery". Still, some instructions say boot into Clockwork....How do these method differ? Or are they the same? Which do I use???

3) One post says "After you unrevoke4, you can use your custom recovery image to flash a rooted 2.2 stock rom". I dont understand. A ROM is an image...so how can I use an image to flash another image?? makes no sense =\

4) Is "recovery" an app/tool that is already on the phone (or needs to be downloaded), and if so how do I access it? Or is it a ROM image?

5) After unrevoked is done, do I accept the OTA firmware update (i think it's the ugrade to Froyo update that keeps popping up)?

6) Which ROM needs to be installed? The zip that Unrevoked is going to install, or HTC Stock Froyo 3.26.651.6 [Rooted][Deodex'd], or both?

7) What is PRI and PRL and why are ppl so concerned about getting those updated? Will they get updated automatically once Frodo is installed?

8) Same deal with the Wimax and Radio updates (HTC OTA Froyo 2.2, *FINAL*, build 3.36.651.6 (Rooted) Odexed - xda-developers). What do they do? Why do ppl want to retain them so badly, and if they are so important, why don't the updated ROMs or OTAs have them included?

9) What's the difference b/t a Nandroid backup and a Titanium backup? And which one should I do?

Please help! Thanks!

My precious
gollum-smiling.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones