• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is this a poll?

• Yes, it looks like a poll.

Votes: 42 26.3%
  • No, there is no way this is a poll.

Votes: 31 19.4%
  • Why in the world is there a poll here?

Votes: 87 54.4%

• Total voters
Dumb question...The externel reciever means using another device? or just downloaing the App will do?

It would be an external device. I think if you read the linked thread you'll get teh idea.

But as an exmple, I think I could put a piece of software on my old Tilt where I could use blue tooth to hook to it for its GPS to use on the Captivate.

Bunch of crap, huh...

A bit of encouraging news
I am not holding my breath...but today I installed Cognition 2.3b1 Froyo most recently leaked ROM. I rode home with my buddy, and the GPS worked great.

I wish I had done this test more for comparisons: I was on the 2.2b9.1.3, and the GPS was very poor. I tried loading GPS TEST, and watched, and it had best accuracy of 32.8', most often 49 somethink and frequently 82' or so. Crappy. I didn't pay attention to the SNRs

Today, I did the same thin with the new ROM: I had 16.2' accuracy mos of of the time, occasionally hitting 32.4. It hooked to 9-11 SATS all the way. Most SNRs were in mid 30's, with occasionally going to the GREEN 40 level. Woot!

Now, as usual, time will pass and it likely will change. But it gives me a flicker of hope.

Upvote 0
Not one single Samsung Phone i ever had has had a working GPS. i come from a Samsung Blackjack, Samsung Blackjack 2, Samsung Jack, and now a Samsung Captivate. Frankly I think that Samsung Doesn't care much about the way they manufacture the GPS receiver in their devices. Im used to it, I was gonna buy an EVO with sprint (still thinking about it since i still have time to return it) but decided to stay with AT&T since im one of the lucky ones who still has unlimited Data. I didn't read reviews on the captivate, Just skimed through video reviews on youtube, I bought mine 5 days ago, Expecting the worst as i experienced with Samsung in my past -_-. i admit i dont use the GPS. but Knowing i paid $200.00 hard earned dollars on a phone that states it has a GPS then i damn well expect a working GPS. PERIOD. if it didnt come with a GPS then i would not complain, period.

Upvote 0
reinbeau, when you say your GPS works one day and not the next--have you locked it into standalone mode? If not, you really don't know how well just the GPS is working. The difference could be from the assist networks.
By standalone, do you mean unassisted by cell towers and wireless? Yes, I have. I turned off both and only use the standalone GPS because I didn't want to eat data. Now that I upped my plan (I gave up) I'm going to turn it back on and see how it works.

Reactions: robhs
Upvote 0
reinbeau-
"By standalone, do you mean unassisted by cell towers and wireless?" Exactly. With or without assisted modes...dl GPSTest, see for yourself what the satellite signals are reported as when your phone is/isn't working. If the signal strength is marginal all the time (30-35db) then it is just "Well punk, do you feel lucky today?" as Dirty Harry put it.<G> If the signal strength is 30db on the bad days, and 50db on the good days--there's an intermittent problem in the phone. Heck, maybe Samsung is finding out what Sony found out years ago, that cheap assembly lines have a lot of physical problems.

fldude-
"My 2c: I think we need to get to a basis for what people accept as a functioning GPS on a cell device."
Why should be hold a cell phone to any different standard than any other GPS device?
"1: How long does it take to get a fix,"
Not device-dependent to any large degree. All GPSes of the same "generation", operating in the same conditions, generate the cold fix and hot fix in about the same amount of time. That could be as long as 45 minutes for a 1st-generation GPS getting a cold fix, out of the box, after being off and moved three thousand miles, or more typically a 3rd or 4th generation GPS gets a hot fix in under a minute when it was last used in the same local area. Doesn't matter who makes it--the hardware and the algorithms they run are all similar thanks to market competition. Nuvi, TomTom, Garmin, Magellan, even Timex, all remarkably similar today.

"and 2: Once it has obtained a fix, what is the accuracy."
Again, that is about the same for all units because the accuracy is determined by the GPS satellite system and the algorithms used, and all the players are at the same level. Granted, if you want to compute height (elevation) the formulas are more complex and take a little longer to run, or use more computing power. But same-for-same they all run about the same. The accuracy of "plain" GPS versus WAAS-enabled GPS (which I don't think any cell phone offers, although every dedicated GPS pretty much does offer it now) is all to published standards.
The only accuracy question with a cell phone GPS is "which assisted mode are you using?" because Skyhook-assissted GPS will gnerate one accuracy, cell tower assisted GPS another (sloppy) one, and standalone GPS comes back to the system itself.

"Mine passes on both accounts and I suspect most Captivates do the same."
Congrats on having a working phone! It would be nice if Samsung and AT&T could talk to us like adults discussing a technical piece of equipment, and confirm whether particular phones are or aren't working. And with a GPS, you do this by asking "How many satellites does it see? And what is the s/n ratio, the signal strength, it is seeing from them?"
So please! open your GPS menu, make sure you are in STANDALONE mode. Then run GPSTest or anything similar to see what the signal strength of the satellites is being reported as. If you are seeing 30-35db signals, your phone is not up to par. If you are seeing 40-55db signals, congratulations, you've proven at least one phone works well enough to be relied on as a GPS, and that the problem is one of quality control rather than design flaws.

Your experience and objective answers can help resolve this question for all of us!

We as users shouldn't have to do this. But like so many modern corporations, AT&T and Samsung only know how to have "tech" support reading from scripts and shipping replacements. "Throw it at the wall and see what sticks" is a lousy way to test spaghetti, even worse way to do product support.

Upvote 0
If you truly believe there are no corporate donations to Democrats you are truly delusional. A simple Google search turns up this list Top Contributors to Barack Obama | OpenSecrets and that just scratches the surface. Google itself is a well known liberal corporation, Micro$oft is run by one of the richest liberal Democrats of all time - I could go on and on. Don't believe for one minute that being rich is the domain of the Republicans. There are stinking rich people on both sides of the aisle, all trying to hang onto their money, and to make more. I live in a very affluent, very blue state, I'm surrounded by rich liberal Democrats (unfortunately). Me? I'm a poor Republican who wants to learn all she can about her Captivate. Small pleasures for small wallets.

:) Good post, thanks!

Reactions: reinbeau
Upvote 0
Im not really trying to get a perfect working gps at this time because i know it'll never happen but i do wanna try going into lbstestmode but i cant ! anyone know why? im typing in *#*#1472365#*#* on my keypad but when i press the last "*" instead of taking me to the LBS test mode my phone just clears what i just typed in the keypad and nothing happens. i wanna know why i cant get into LBS test mode and all you can ?

Upvote 0
Im not really trying to get a perfect working gps at this time because i know it'll never happen but i do wanna try going into lbstestmode but i cant ! anyone know why? im typing in *#*#1472365#*#* on my keypad but when i press the last "*" instead of taking me to the LBS test mode my phone just clears what i just typed in the keypad and nothing happens. i wanna know why i cant get into LBS test mode and all you can ?

If you've updated to JH7 that one doesn't work anymore. Read here for the new code: I897UCJH7 - CapFAQ

(Too slow it seems)

Upvote 0
I am thinking of getting the Captivate (I'm on iPhone 3GS right now). My question is: Does the GPS work in cellular mode alone? I ask this, because I'm happy with my 3GS "GPS". As you all know the 3GS does NOT have a GPS chip so it relies on the cellular network. And I'm happy with that...so I'm thinking if the Captivate's GPS works well on cellular mode then I'd be happy with that.

So, what is your experience in just cellular mode?

Upvote 0
I posted this in the All Things GPS section, but got no reply. So, I thought of starting a new thread. I really need your experience.

I am thinking of getting the Captivate (I'm on iPhone 3GS right now). My question is: Does the GPS work in cellular mode alone? I ask this, because I'm happy with my 3GS "GPS". As you all know the 3GS does NOT have a GPS chip so it relies on the cellular network. And I'm happy with that...so I'm thinking if the Captivate's GPS works well on cellular mode then I'd be happy with that too.

So, what is your experience with GPS in just cellular mode?

Upvote 0
I am thinking of getting the Captivate (I'm on iPhone 3GS right now). My question is: Does the GPS work in cellular mode alone? I ask this, because I'm happy with my 3GS "GPS". As you all know the 3GS does NOT have a GPS chip so it relies on the cellular network. And I'm happy with that...so I'm thinking if the Captivate's GPS works well on cellular mode then I'd be happy with that too.

So, what is your experience with GPS in just cellular mode?

GPS is different than cellular triangulation. GPS doesn't use cell towers... it uses satellites. Approximate positioning via cell towers isn't GPS.

And the 3GS does have a GPS chip, as did the 3G. It was only the original iPhone that didn't have GPS.

And positioning via cell towers is horribly inaccurate. Good for telling you what stuff is in the area and getting weather, that's about it. A lot of times I'm lucky to be seeing 1 tower... you can't position based on that.

Upvote 0
The Captivate does have a true GPS satellite receiver. It is also supposed to be able to use cell towers to get a more general location, which is supposed to help the GPS receiver to know what specific satellites to look for.

And to report on my own GPS experience; I have a refurbished Captivate that I just purchased this week. It has all updates available up to today. It has been hit-and-miss experience like others have been reporting.

Today I missed an appointment because settling my route took 15 minutes longer than it should have. Part of this was because the GPS wouldn't settle in quickly, and the other was because my phone was waiting for the directions to come up. I wonder if the latter problem was because the position kept changing because of a poor GPS lock?

Joe Dunfee

Upvote 0
I haven't read all the hyper-technical stuff about GPS here, so I may seem really dumb for this...

Are there better places for GPS performance? I mean, obviously, the more open the area, the better chance to "see" a satellite, but I'm wondering if different parts of the USA (or wherever, for that matter) get a better look at satellites? I'm in the Chicago area, and I find I lock up pretty quickly and the GPS sometimes moves me around but recovers quickly.

Anyone in the boonies (or more boonified areas than Chicago/burbs) that do better/worse?

Upvote 0
...Are there better places for GPS performance? I mean, obviously, the more open the area, the better chance to "see" a satellite, but I'm wondering if different parts of the USA (or wherever, for that matter) get a better look at satellites?...

The satellites are not geosynchronous. Their orbits cover the entire earth. You will see different numbers of satellites at different times, but there is no place on earth that is better or worse than any other over time. Locally, foliage, buildings, close-by hills/mountains, anything that blocks your view of the sky will affect your ability to "see" the satellites (receive the satellite signals). I've heard that heavy rains can affect GPS signals, but have never experienced GPS problems in rain.

Reactions: GreatBigDave
Upvote 0
Someone on XDA suggested testing the GPS without the back cover. I did it and found, at least on my Cappy, that the GPS locked almost immediately (5 seconds to lock, indoors near a window) finding 9 satellites (solid) with an average SNR of 37dBHz and a peak of 41dBHz. Upon putting to cover back on, the number of satellites dropped to 5 or 6 (one kept dropping out), with an average SNR of 31dBHz. The satellite which peaked at 41 was only at 35dBHz.

I realize this is just circumstantial, and isn't a realistic use of the phone, but it is curious. Alas, I don't have time to do a real DOE.

Reactions: jonnycat74
Upvote 0
Are there better places for GPS performance?

My experience:
* not inside a building
* when it is clear blue sky (no clouds)

Be patient. Give it at least a couple minutes to get a locked on.

Both GPS Status and GPS Test apps are very helpful when you're trying to get the lock on.

I also do this:
* launch GPS Test, GPS Status, Google Maps and/or Google Navigation.
* now that all four apps are launched, by long-pressing on the Home key, I can switch between these four apps without turning off the GPS and having to re-lock

I then switch between GPS Test / GPS Status until I get a good lock. Then I switch to Maps / Navigation.

Upvote 0
^^^I have the same experience..after struggling for more than a yr with the inaccurate GPS of the Nokia N97 I am fairly pleased with the GPS on the Captivate. Sometimes takes up to 2 minutes to fix, but very accurate for the most part once fixed on mine. I hate to say it, but I think most folks expectations are way high for a convergent device to have Garmin like GPS performance...p.s. I've experimented with the google supl server and find it's better than the stock spirent-lcs

Upvote 0
After the OTA update, my GPS still takes over 3 minutes just to get my relative location and is accurate to 200 meters. My Iphone 3G was faster and better than that, so I think it's ok for us to expect something better that's supposed to be 2 years newer, faster, and marketed as such.

If I go from google maps, to turn by turn navigation, it can take it almost 15 minutes to tell me where to go. That's not acceptable in my book.

My g/f got the same phone along with me and she seems to be one of the lucky ones with her phone locking in quick and can navigate right away from google maps. Sad to see 2 totally different results from the same device bought the same day from the same store.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones