• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is this a poll?

• Yes, it looks like a poll.

Votes: 42 26.3%
  • No, there is no way this is a poll.

Votes: 31 19.4%
  • Why in the world is there a poll here?

Votes: 87 54.4%

• Total voters
These are my thoughts, yours are welcome.

I had issues right after I bought my Captivate with the GPS. I read a few posts on different forums and resolved my issue I believe. In another thread someone explained how to enter a code to make some setting changes. On the site mentioned in that thread it made a point to mention that the fix worked fine as long as someone wasn't moving.

My GPS takes a few minutes to sync up. Once it syncs up it puts me within 1 house of where I live and when I am at another place, within 30 meters or so.

What people need to realize is that this is radio signal. The same or similar things are factors just as they have been with AM/FM, CB and Satellite radio/TV. Metal structures, clouds and overall weather conditions have a lot to do with your reception. It's a finer point that I think unhappy people are considering when ranting about GPS signal.

If all I need to do for this to be effective for me is turn my GPS on a few minutes earlier than when I need it, I'll just go that route and be content.

:)

Upvote 0
I had to drive from Homestead to N. Ft. Myers (3 hour trip). Even though I knew where I was going, I went ahead and ran it through Navigator. I have found that the best place for me to put my phone is behind the steering wheel against the speedometer/odometer panel. I am not blocking anything, so no danger there.

I left it plugged into the charger the whole way and the whole way back. Even at rest stops, I just locked the display and stuck it in my pocket until I got back in the vehicle.

I had only one incident where it got confused and it took only about 10 seconds for it to get me back right back. The lock was great and kept me on the road and put me exactly where I needed to be. Locks tended to take around 30 seconds.

The only problem is that it gets really hot. I have a body glove case so I am sure it would be cooler if I did not have this case on it. I want to get a windshield mount, but haven't really found one that catches my eye.

I bought my Captivate day one, it is rooted but other than allowing apps outside the market to be installed, it has not been modded.

I thought at first the GPS issue had to do with the metal back plate, but I realized that the back plate is being used as an antenna. It has contacts to the internal parts. I have no idea.

Upvote 0
I ordered a Droid X to replace the Captivate I returned today. I immediately checked the GPS signal strength. The quality of the signal was definitely a few points better. It was enough to cross the line and help the Droid X to get a lock faster. I know this time can be variable depending on the satellite positions at the time, but my Captivate was clearly having problems in that area.

Joe Dunfee

Upvote 0
I fear that this:

Samsung Nexus S reappears at the FCC with a pair of new antennas -- Engadget

indicates we have a hardware antenna problem that is not fixable. :-(

I have been wondering/fearful of the same. Only not a general hardware problem, because the chip does work, I think the 16 ft accuracy cap must be a limitation and Google told then that it needs to be more precise (especially with the NFC features the phone has). The locking and spasm issues the GPS has are software, and that's why it works for some but not for others and why some ROMs work for some but not everyone- it depends on the setup initially.

Still, I would love to see someone write an article about how this is evidence that Samsung a hardware defect for their Galaxy S, just to light a fire under them and start some more angry calls/tweets/messages so we might actually get some answers...

Upvote 0
I used the Navigation app last week for a 10+ hour trip and it worked reasonably well when I could get it to lock. But if I ever got near another road or at a complicated intersection it would jump me all over the place. Really annoying - just FIX it! I'm also starting to worry that it's a hardware issue now. A family member bought me a cheap TomTom as an early Christmas present so I used that to navigate me back. Other than the annoying nav voice (and obvious GPS issues) I actually preferred the Nav app over the TomTom.

(running Cognition 2.3 beta-something)

Upvote 0
If it wasn't hardware, these "fixes" would work for everyone.

The software being identical, the only differing factor becomes hardware and physical environment/location.
I think the fixes don't work for everyone because 'everyone' has done so much modding and tinkering that no one single solution will work for all.

Upvote 0
If it's hardware, then why do so many report GPS success with the custom ROMs floating around?

There are some people reporting good results with the stock ROM too, and some still having trouble with the custom ones. I think this is down to two things:

1) some people just have lower standards/expectations for what is acceptable to them-- they don't care if it's off by 30' or so, or they don't use it while moving and only care about getting a "fast lock" standing still, etc
2) it *can* work if the conditions are right. The antenna may be poor, but it's not completely absent, so in the right environment where the signal is strong, it may work better. I've certainly noticed that mine works better (though not particularly well) in my car (a small sedan with a sunroof) than in my wife's minivan, which has so much metal around you that it might as well be a Faraday cage.

I suspect there's no physical difference between the ones that "work" and those that don't, it's more likely down to the environment they're used in and the expectations of the user.

That said, JH7 definitely improved the speed of locking while stationary for me, so I do believe that there were software bugs prior to that. And there may still be more, so perhaps it is still possible to improve it further in software. Perhaps the leaked 2.2 builds incorporate some such fixes. But the fact that the google version is getting new antennae seems mighty suspicious to me. They're not changing that just because they were looking for something to do on a rainy afternoon....

Upvote 0
As I mentioned above and has obviously been overlooked, weather conditions play a serious part in how accurate your signal is. I locked mine in 2 nights ago. It put me about 7 houses off, then as I refreshed it put me much closer. A GPS isn't guaranteed to pinpoint your exact location but it does happen. My car GPS didn't put me dead on each time either. I'm finished ranting about it though. :)

Upvote 0
I switched from a Blackberry Torch to the Captivate, mainly because of screen size and the bulkiness of the Torch. I love the Captivate, but the GPS is a joke. I've had the Blackjack, Blackjack II, Jack, then went to the Blackberry Bold 9700, then the Torch. ALL of those phones GPS's were instant and within 5-6 meters.
My Captivate, never locks (unless the back cover is off...how stupid), and when it finally finds me, while driving, is 1/2 to 1 mile behind! WHENVER Froyo 2.2 hits the US, it better fix it, or I'm going to have to go to a different phone.

Upvote 0
I switched from a Blackberry Torch to the Captivate, mainly because of screen size and the bulkiness of the Torch. I love the Captivate, but the GPS is a joke. I've had the Blackjack, Blackjack II, Jack, then went to the Blackberry Bold 9700, then the Torch. ALL of those phones GPS's were instant and within 5-6 meters.
My Captivate, never locks (unless the back cover is off...how stupid), and when it finally finds me, while driving, is 1/2 to 1 mile behind! WHENVER Froyo 2.2 hits the US, it better fix it, or I'm going to have to go to a different phone.

Read the forums and find a fix that works for you. Or read more into this thread even.

Upvote 0
From Samsung on Facebook:

Hey Captivate and Vibrant owners! We've created an app to help optimize GPS. Go to the Android Market & search for GPSSamsungRestore. Here's a direct link for the Captivate: http://ow.ly/3hF1g & a direct link for the Vibrant: http://ow.ly/3hF2s Be sure to update this in an area with a clear view of the sky. Let us know if you have any questions!

Edit: I haven't tried it yet so I can't say anything about it.

Upvote 0
Saw this on their Facebook, have yet to try it. Here's the link: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/SamsungService

"Hey Captivate and Vibrant owners! We've created an app to help optimize GPS. Go to the Android Market & search for GPSSamsungRestore. Here's a direct link for the Captivate: I Am Having Difficulties Obtaining An Accurate Location Fix. How Can I Increase The Accuracy On My SGH-i897 (Captivate) Phone? & a direct link for the Vibrant: I Am Having Difficulties Obtaining An Accurate Location Fix. How Can I Increase The Accuracy On My SGH-t959 (Vibrant) Phone? Be sure to update this in an area with a clear view of the sky. Let us know if you have any questions!"

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones