• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

All this talk about 2.0/2.1 - what exactly will be on it?

JCUMV

Jan 17, 2010
I've seen so much here about 2.x coming out. People seem to be salivating for it. I got a Moto Droid for Xmas and took it back 2 weeks ago and traded it for an Eris. And the Eris is so much better! (See my other thread from a week ago for details comparing the two).

So why the hype about this new OS? The only thing I'll be looking forward to on 2.x will be GoogleNav, it's the only thing I miss about the Droid. I'm sure there's gonna be other fixes and performance enhancements, but what else? I will go so far to say that if Eris NEVER got 2.x I would still have traded my moto for an Eris.

Somebody help me understand the madness...

If you bought the phone to use as a phone, you will never understand. If you appreciate what phones have become now, you'll understand right away how different 1.5 is from 2.0 and projected 2.1. You can live with 1.5 for the rest of your life, it isn't a necessity to get the upgrade. But for those who really enjoy what phones do these days, it's a whole new set of features.

If you want to know what the features are, check Android's site and watch the video. That's just a few of the things it can do.

Upvote 0
Smacky, you're right. Judging by your sig you do much more "lifestyle" type things on your phone than I do. I rarely watch youtube on, because why strain my eyes when I could watch it my PC or laptop on a giant monitor. There is nothing on youtube that I can't wait till a little later to see on a bigger screen. I also don't have a single song loaded on my Eris either. I use my smaller more compact MP3 at the gym, and I'm not a Ellen DeGeneres type that walks around listening to music of my phone. But... I know there are LOTS of people out there that do do that and to each there own. That's totally cool.

But having said that, you don't need 2.x to do either of those things. So what gives?

BTW, I see the link to post ^^ to the videos you were referring to. I'll be looking at those next.

Upvote 0
I would love google goggles and googlenav to a lesser extent. But if we end up stuck on 1.5 ( I would think we would at least get 1.6?) I'll just wait until my next phone upgrade and get a really nice android phone. This was my first Android and smartphone and I'm really loving it.

Up to date android would just be icing on the cake.

Upvote 0
There are 4 reasons I am interested in a 2.x update.

1 - GoogleNav. I have played with it on friends phones and it is very impressive.

2 - Google Goggles. The whole concept is just cool to me.

3 - Updated market. Better search, pictures in the reviews and access to new/better/updated/more applications.

4 - The additions to Sense UI. I am excited to see what HTC has added and improved.

Upvote 0
I would love google goggles and googlenav to a lesser extent. But if we end up stuck on 1.5 ( I would think we would at least get 1.6?) I'll just wait until my next phone upgrade and get a really nice android phone. This was my first Android and smartphone and I'm really loving it.

Up to date android would just be icing on the cake.

No, no. We are getting 2.1, it's just a matter of when. And the two things you mentioned are two of my most anticipated things too. As Goggles gets better at identifying things, it's gonna be loads of fun and pretty useful.

Maps is self-explanatory, it's just adding more features to the current Google Maps app.

You already have a "nice" Android phone. Don't let the price tag or the shiny looks of the N1 and Droid fool you. Just because a Ferrari has less horsepower, costs less, and is slower than a Veyron, it doesn't mean the Ferrari is a lump of turd.

Upvote 0
Yeah smacky I know the Eris is a nice phone. I guess I said it wrong. I meant that I would just get the most up to date phone.

Honestly I can't find a mean thing to say about the Eris. I love the fact that it has the two physical send and end button which is something the eris has on the N1 (visually)

Upvote 0
Yeah smacky I know the Eris is a nice phone. I guess I said it wrong. I meant that I would just get the most up to date phone.

Honestly I can't find a mean thing to say about the Eris. I love the fact that it has the two physical send and end button which is something the eris has on the N1 (visually)

I've always found that when I'm put in a situation where I either don't know or don't care what others around me are choosing, I tend to choose the more unique thing, the one that doesn't have as much support as it's more popular relative, but still gets the important stuff and leaves the frivolous to the more popular one. I could give examples, but I could go on.

This phone is no different. When others told me the Droid would kick the Eris's ass, I told them the Droid wasn't worth the extra $150 ( I got my phone for $50 with the contract renewal bonus and whatnot) and today, I still maintain that. 2.0 is/was not worth $150, and neither is 2.1. I'll wait, and learn to appreciate it. Oh wait, I already have 2.1. :)

Upvote 0
There are 4 reasons I am interested in a 2.x update.

1 - GoogleNav. I have played with it on friends phones and it is very impressive.

2 - Google Goggles. The whole concept is just cool to me.

3 - Updated market. Better search, pictures in the reviews and access to new/better/updated/more applications.

4 - The additions to Sense UI. I am excited to see what HTC has added and improved.
All of that for me, too, but also speech to text.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones