• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ally barnacle wifi tether overheating

Darkstar8101

Oct 22, 2010
I use Barnacle Wifi Tether with my laptop. I charge my phone on my laptop while its on so my phone doesnt go dead. But after a while my phone overheats and shuts off. Is there any way I can keep it from overheating while I charge my phone, or is there any way I can keep it from eating my battery so fast.

Well if you live in a less insulated house you can always plug your phone into a wall outlet and put it near a window... if its cold where you live... also another alternative would be a icepack. anything to keep that battery cool but still working... i leave my phone by a wall in my house and i wake up in the morning and its cold. so idk. thats just a suggestion.

Upvote 0
i have used barnacle also, and charging with the laptop is almost useless. but an idea is to actually go and turn the phone upside down, and take off the battery cover and let it sit that way. that will keep the heat from going directly into your phone. another alternative is to slide open your phone and turn off the screen (having the screen on while this wastes the battery even more)

but something that ive found whenever im using a heavy data connection like with barnacle is that if you are plugged into the computer, have a data connection to your computer (wireless or cable) and have your screen on, it will show that the battery is still decreasing even though you are plugged in.

FIX= just turn off your phone screen and this will slowly charge your phone backup. but you are still better using the wall outlet for charging while doing this.

Upvote 0
First off if you charge you phone with your laptop it's not getting the voltage that it needs to charge efficiently. Your house is almost always giving off inbetween 110 and 120 voltz and the phone charges are designed to efficiently charge the devices off of that standard. So i would stick with the wall jack.

The over heating problem might be fixed because my phone personaly has never over heated due to barnical running. It has on the other hand over heated when using a plug not rated for the voltage that the phone is rated for. I don't know if it's due to the fact that it's over the voltage regulated for the phone or not.

If it does continue to over heat try what the others have suggested.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones