• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Almost a year...what is going to be your next phone?

yikes i just read the inc hd will probably not be released untill march 2011 and will be an lte device! im searching for the link and will post. this leak was first posted on droid life and is circulating.

edit: Might the Droid Incredible HD be a Verizon Android LTE device? | Android Central
or
Our Twitter Conversation Reveals Incredible HD as an LTE Device - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

a tweet from the source of the leak

Twitter / Black_Man_x: As for timeframe of device ...#

No...this was a souce of great confusion. It has been shored up (somewhat) and looks like there is a 3G version coming out this year (Nov 23rd?...with unlimited data w/ current pricing) and a 4G version coming out around March (tiered pricing which sucks IMO). I'm on Wifi so much that I only use 1-2GB of Verizon's data per month anyway. Work, home, restaurants, friend's houses...there is wifi everywhere. 4G would be nice but I don't know that it will be worth the extra $10-$15 per line per month. If you have a 4G phone...it seems as though you will have to pay the additional fee (just like with the EVO).

Now, in terms of significant improvements from the D1, The Droid Incredible HD looks like it will have a 2nd Generation Snapdragon (i.e. Scorpion processor) clocked at either 1GHz or 1.2GHz (the G2 has the same processor clocked at 800MHz and that phone sounds like it flies). On top of that, the DINC HD will have 786MB of RAM (3x that of the D1). That will be pretty significant IMO...then of course you are talking about a 4.3" screen vs. a 3.7" screen....also significant (and one of the most important features for me).

Upvote 0
OK so i just left my local Verizon store a few hours ago and had an interesting talk with a salesman there. i told him i had a couple upgrades and was looking at phones.
after a while he came back and asked if i had seen anything i liked to which i replied "i think my next phone is coming out on the 23 of November". he looked at me confused and i said "you know the new incredible. i think it is called the incredible hd".
at this point he was really looking at me funny and asked "are you with corporate "?
i awkwardly said ""no haha". he said well how do you know about that phone? and i just smiled.
he said let me check on something and walked over to the manager they looked up something on the computer and talked for a second. he came back and said that this phone will indeed be released on 11-23 and he took my phone number and told me that he will call me when they get them in and put two back for me if i still want them! he also gave me his card.

i know how vzw reps sometimes get their wires crossed so here's hoping this guy is right!

Upvote 0
OK so i just left my local Verizon store a few hours ago and had an interesting talk with a salesman there. i told him i had a couple upgrades and was looking at phones.
after a while he came back and asked if i had seen anything i liked to which i replied "i think my next phone is coming out on the 23 of November". he looked at me confused and i said "you know the new incredible. i think it is called the incredible hd".
at this point he was really looking at me funny and asked "are you with corporate "?
i awkwardly said ""no haha". he said well how do you know about that phone? and i just smiled.
he said let me check on something and walked over to the manager they looked up something on the computer and talked for a second. he came back and said that this phone will indeed be released on 11-23 and he took my phone number and told me that he will call me when they get them in and put two back for me if i still want them! he also gave me his card.

i know how vzw reps sometimes get their wires crossed so here's hoping this guy is right!

Haha, that's a pretty cool rep right there!

Yeah, I'm also reluctant to get a 4G phone because of the extra $10-15 a month, as UBRocked stated, with virtually no initial coverage. Which makes the DInc HD look all the more enticing.

Upvote 0
Its almost been a year since the Droid came out and I think it has lived up to its billing. I'm ready for a new phone though. The Droid has been running slow for whatever reason and the new phones look exciting.
I am going to wait until a new great phone comes out like the rumored 'Nexus 2' or a phone running the Tegra 2 chip.
Is everyone else ready for a new phone and what phone are they waiting for..or are you happy to stick with the original Droid????

I must agree. I can't seem to find a Froyo ROM that runs well on my Droid. It has become very clear to me that not all Droids were created equal. I'm really hoping that I can soon get an upgrade with better specs. It just seems like a waste to have a phone with so much capability that I constantly have problems with such as slow downs, force close messages, random strange problems occurring, etc.

Upvote 0

Yeah, I'm hoping this holds true. Info should be dropping soon...early this week.

One of the admin at DF seems to have an in with some high ups at Verizon. He has supposedly signed a NDA and cannot release the info, pics, etc. until the NDA says he is allowed to (which he can't disclose the date when that is allowed...but I'm assuming early this week). The thread there is about 1600 comments long and I've been watching it for about 2-3 weeks now. I'll create a discussion thread (pics, specs, release info, etc.) here on AF as soon as relevant info surfaces if one of our dedicated members doesn't beat me to it :D

Upvote 0
So here's my deal...

I have a friend who works for Verizon Wireless. I had lamented a bit after getting my Droid last Jan/Feb that it sucked the Incredible, with double the clockspeed and RAM was dropping in a month or so. However this has been my most favorite cell ever to date.

It runs well still, however lately (maybe just since 2.2) it's been getting super laggy. I'm stock, unrooted. The only two things i use that may slow it down a tad are Launcher Home and Watchdog (to see app spikes, of which there are really few!) My friend has actually SENT me an Incredible AND a Droid X for free. I've been kinda beating myself up on if I should deactivate this Droid and move on to one of the other two devices.

My mental battle is whether i can deal with Moto(Ninja)Blur or the SenseUI. I was not huge on either and have played around with both phones. I would lean towards the X, except carrying it around may prove a little difficult :) I would then give the Incredible to my Eris-toting gf. (She's getting frustrated with the slowness of that phone)

I love Stock Android like on my Droid, although it looks doubtful we'll ever see an incarnation like that again. Any recommendations?

Upvote 0
Yeah I recommend that you introduce me to your friend! :D:D:D

If the DX will be an issue because of screen real estate or un-pocketability (is that a real word?) then I'm not sure you'd be happy with it for very long. I know I don't think I'd be happy in the long run with a phone that large. The Dinc should prove a great phone, too. Easily rooted and modified to get rid of Sense... if that's the route you want to take. It depends, I guess, on what you will DO with the phone. If you're going to watch movies a lot or take video and NEED a screen that big, go DX. If not, pass it on to the girlfriend, knowing that you both have great phones. My 0.02

Upvote 0
With my Droid I played a few games, and watched a few videos (I like to download Youtube flvs or MP4s and watch later) but the main usage was text messages, email, some Pandora and basically using it as a phone!

The speed and lag was a large factor in not using it more as a multimedia device. With more horsepower behind it I will likely use it a ton more.

I think what I may do is carry around the X for a few days and the Incredible, unactivated of course, but just see how it would be in daily use. I've got Handcent on both lol so I can pretend to send a message or two. My biggest concern is that I lose some weight and wear tighter jeans now (38s down from 4s!) so the pocket real estate is less. The Droid was really sturdy and I had no worries of really breaking it etc.

Can you root the Droid X to be stockish like the OG Droid?

Upvote 0
That would indeed suck. My big decision now is basically "what phone will float me until I upgrade next September."

I figure if my OG Droid is giving me slowdown issues and I'm not getting as MUCH use as I really should with unlimited data etc I should use one of the other devices I have that I'm NOT using!

Now is it as easy as just using *228 to deactivate my Droid and the same to activate the Incredible or X?

Upvote 0
Yeah, I saw that...just mostly the same speculation and rumors found elsewhere at this point. I will be creating a new thread there once confirmed...and I'm sure I'll be spending more time in that forum come 11/23 :D

Same here! I checked the thread that I believe you mentioned earlier but I think it has been closed. However there was a lot of good info there. It made me want this phone even more lol!

Upvote 0
So here's my deal...

I have a friend who works for Verizon Wireless. I had lamented a bit after getting my Droid last Jan/Feb that it sucked the Incredible, with double the clockspeed and RAM was dropping in a month or so. However this has been my most favorite cell ever to date.

It runs well still, however lately (maybe just since 2.2) it's been getting super laggy. I'm stock, unrooted. The only two things i use that may slow it down a tad are Launcher Home and Watchdog (to see app spikes, of which there are really few!) My friend has actually SENT me an Incredible AND a Droid X for free. I've been kinda beating myself up on if I should deactivate this Droid and move on to one of the other two devices.

My mental battle is whether i can deal with Moto(Ninja)Blur or the SenseUI. I was not huge on either and have played around with both phones. I would lean towards the X, except carrying it around may prove a little difficult :) I would then give the Incredible to my Eris-toting gf. (She's getting frustrated with the slowness of that phone)

I love Stock Android like on my Droid, although it looks doubtful we'll ever see an incarnation like that again. Any recommendations?

The Droid is an amazing phone, the only problem is Android releases are getting more and more complex, and the Droid just doesn't have the specs to keep up. I've grown used to lag on my Froyo Droid, but I'm certainly not happy about it. I really need to get a faster phone asap :)
With my Droid I played a few games, and watched a few videos (I like to download Youtube flvs or MP4s and watch later) but the main usage was text messages, email, some Pandora and basically using it as a phone!

The speed and lag was a large factor in not using it more as a multimedia device. With more horsepower behind it I will likely use it a ton more.

I think what I may do is carry around the X for a few days and the Incredible, unactivated of course, but just see how it would be in daily use. I've got Handcent on both lol so I can pretend to send a message or two. My biggest concern is that I lose some weight and wear tighter jeans now (38s down from 4s!) so the pocket real estate is less. The Droid was really sturdy and I had no worries of really breaking it etc.

Can you root the Droid X to be stockish like the OG Droid?

Yo dude, install Google Voice on your unactivated Incredible. You can send text messages over WiFi! No cell service needed. At least that way you can try it out. And it definitely comes in handy to be able to text on unactivated phones.

Btw: Howed you end up with an X and Incredible if you haven't upgraded yet? I don't suppose you happen to live in NC and want to sell one of them either? jw o_O

Upvote 0
Honestly, if I were to get an upgrade now (on of the lines on my plan has an upgrade due! Surprise WIN), I'd go with the HTC merge. It there any way to replace their bing apps with google though? I don't care if bing is on the phone, but I would want to simply replace the widgets and apps (like maps and navigation) with the google ones.

Root and install an AOSP ROM if one is available.

Upvote 0
Now, in terms of significant improvements from the D1, The Droid Incredible HD looks like it will have a 2nd Generation Snapdragon (i.e. Scorpion processor) clocked at either 1GHz or 1.2GHz (the G2 has the same processor clocked at 800MHz and that phone sounds like it flies). On top of that, the DINC HD will have 786MB of RAM (3x that of the D1). That will be pretty significant IMO...then of course you are talking about a 4.3" screen vs. a 3.7" screen....also significant (and one of the most important features for me).

Dang! Just when I thought I had my mind made up, UBRocked managed to sell me on the Dinc HD. My early upgrade comes December, and I imagine I'll be picking this phone up pretty quick. Screw Motorola and their eFuse bullshit!

Upvote 0
Okay... front facing camera, kickstand... this is the phone most of us have seen in the leaked pic that went by the name Lexicon... yeah, it's THAT one, or so it seems to be. At any rate, this is going to be Verizon's EVO and is the exact phone I wanted if I was going to buy an HTC product.

If preorders are starting this Friday, I'm gonna have a real hard time waiting for my early upgrade in December.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones