• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Am i being ridiclous? Droid 2 OVER the X?

While the "my phone is better than yours" threads will continue, the X and the D2 are both great phones. The comparison is mostly user preference. Some want the larger screen, some the physical keyboard and smaller footprint. These phones, the Inc (sense for those that like it) are all excellent choices. The phones will come and go quickly for a while- there is lots of competition here, unlike the iPhone where there is always just 1 current model on 1 carrier.
The choices of model/carrier, along with the openness of the OS make variation and competition faster and shorten the life cycle of these phones as improvements to both the OS and the hardware available move at blazing speeds. The choices are there- some will be great devices, other so-so, but there will be choices. You can wait forever or consider the phone in use for 3 months is worth more than waiting for the next best thing. My wife loves her Droid- and yes- the D2 is better, but the D1 is still a great phone and she has been using it since launch day. I have had my DX since launch day and couldnt be happier. I'll still be happy with it in March when something better is out.
Personal preference- get the one you like best now. Don't worry about what's on the horizon- you could wait forever like that.

Upvote 0
I have the DX. I traded in my Dinc for it. Honestly? They are all three superlative phones. (BTW, the DX fits fine in my pocket.) It is a benefit to us that we can have the choice of so many great phones. Enjoy your D2. :)

Steven- I'm interested in hearing from you. I helped my dad and step mom (both in their early 60's) become Android owners this past week. I helped them upgrade to the Droid 2 and the Droid X. My dad is blind in one eye and very limited sight in the other, so we went with the X so he could have the largest screen to view. My step-mom went with the 2 b/c she has long nails and needed a physical keyboard.

Honestly after going over today and helping her set up her 2 (the X is not in yet on back order), I am COMPLETELY unimpressed with it. It was the 1st time that I'd ever played with a Moto since my Razr days. The fake MotoBlur or whatever UI that is on the 2, is terrible and not nearly as polished as my Incredible. I found myself looking for widgets that just weren't there. Clock? Nope, buy it. Calendar? Nope, buy it. Well, those exist, but not nearly as nice as on the Incredible. I now know why developers are making widgets like Beautiful Widgets and Pure Calendar, to help Moto owners that want a nice widget experience.

Anyway, my question is this, is there anything that I'm missing on her 2 or my dad's X that I should show them that is not on the Incredible? Things that I'd miss b/c I'm used the Sense and wouldn't think of to show them? You have a unique perspective since you have owned both and I remember you from the Incredible forums as being pretty impartial. Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
Steven-

Honestly after going over today and helping her set up her 2 (the X is not in yet on back order), I am COMPLETELY unimpressed with it. It was the 1st time that I'd ever played with a Moto since my Razr days. The fake MotoBlur or whatever UI that is on the 2, is terrible and not nearly as polished as my Incredible. I found myself looking for widgets that just weren't there. Clock? Nope, buy it. Calendar? Nope, buy it. Well, those exist, but not nearly as nice as on the Incredible. I now know why developers are making widgets like Beautiful Widgets and Pure Calendar, to help Moto owners that want a nice widget experience.

Anyway, my question is this, is there anything that I'm missing on her 2 or my dad's X that I should show them that is not on the Incredible? Things that I'd miss b/c I'm used the Sense and wouldn't think of to show them? You have a unique perspective since you have owned both and I remember you from the Incredible forums as being pretty impartial. Thanks in advance.

I can get over the 2 not having an amazing clock and calendar. I didn't buy it for any of those reasons. :D

Upvote 0
I honestly don't see how anyone, who ISN'T vision impaired, can complain about needing a clock widget. It's really not that hard to glance up at the status bar. And for the record, there IS a clock widget built into Blur; it's an analog clock, right at the top of the widgets list when you long press on a home screen.

I can't comment on the calendar since I don't use one, but I find it hard to believe there aren't any decent, free ones available in the market. Also, couldn't you just add a shortcut to google calendar?

I bought the D2 at launch and it's the first Android phone, not to mention smart phone, I've owned. My last phone was a Samsung Messager (Yes, messager, not messenger) and its built in keyboard is a tad better than the D2s, though it has less keys. Overall, I can't come up with a single thing to complain about.

The battery life is fine once you adjust a few settings like blue tooth, gps, data, wifi, and screen brightness. Also you need to cycle the battery a few times. I get about 20 hours off a charge.

Everything's very responsive, especially after you switch to launcherpro and even more so once you root and get rid of the bloat. Signal strength and call quality have been as good, if not better, than any phone I've owned in the past.

All things said and done, I love my D2.

Upvote 0
<snip>

Everything's very responsive, especially after you switch to launcherpro and even more so once you root and get rid of the bloat. Signal strength and call quality have been as good, if not better, than any phone I've owned in the past.

All things said and done, I love my D2.

OK, I had a long weekend and have been off-line for almost three days. Is the D2 rooted? How'd they break the lock?

Upvote 0
I've had my DX for almost a week now. I honestly couldn't wait for the thing to arrive, having ordered it while it was on backorder. I was a very avid BlackBerry user and I lived by that thing. The keyboard was amazing. So, having gone from my BlackBerry to a DX was a huge jump. I'm sure I could use to not having a keyboard if I forced myself, but it can be a pain at times.

I was in a meeting yesterday and was trying to take efficient notes. I couldn't because I kept having to fix typos. It became frustrating to say the least. Having said that, I dearly want a keyboard.

As well, when in landscape view, the keyboard takes up so much real estate that you can see much else. For example, when replying to a text message or email, it completely covers up all of the text you're writing in response to. You may need to refer to it from time to time. Same thing for Twitter and Facebook. D2 having the slide out keyboard allows for much more screen real estate.

The improved D-pad is a plus too, especially when making edits. Doing it completely on-screen can be cumbersome. So, when it comes to the DX vs the D2, its a matter of efficiency, ease of use, and user-friendlieness when typing.

Another thing I quickly grew disappointed with were the 4 hardware keys at the bottom of the phone. Being that the phone is touch, I prefer to have a complete touch experience when "surfing" through the phone. I don't like having to press (with some force) the hardware keys to move through menus and what not. I just want to be able to lightly touch a button and keep it moving; a seamless touch experience.

When it comes to the camera, all I need is something that takes great photos and great video. D2 does that. I've done the research. Am I looking to wow my friends and family with amazing video footage? No. Am I trying to make a movie or perform a professional photo shoot? No. Then why act like I need that little "extra" to make a buying decision. The most I ever did with my photos was upload them to Twitter and Facebook on my BlackBerry, and occasionally make a photo my wallpaper. I never uploaded a video to YouTube. And most who do capture video are usually capturing something VERY random and uploading it to YouTube. Does anyone care if it's in HD or not? Not really. LOL! And will I ever use the HDMI port? I highly doubt it. So the camera and HDMI slot are selling points that don't impress me.

A few other things: The speaker phone on the DX has been very disappointing. It's not loud enough. The D2's is louder. The phone is too big for my taste as well. I thought I'd like a bigger screen, but I don't. I feel like I'm carrying a scientific calculator. Being a business professional, the form factor and sleek design of the D2 is right up my alley. Also, the keyboard makes it easier to type and perform other tasks. Onscreen keyboards require much more concentration.

I know after this lengthy write-up it may sound like I hate my DX, but I don't. But I'm a huge geek freak and I just like certain things a certain way. And honestly, these small issues with the DX's build bother me (its not the software per se, because they both have Android, and DX will have 2.2 soon).

Hope that helps anyone see why someone would go form a DX to a D2.

Reactions: CaptainObvious
Upvote 0
Depends how much you prefer a real keyboard. Overall size is similar in volume space to X. The one thing that bugs me about the Moto's is the odd screen size (in relation to the rest of devices). This distorts some apps or puts black bars on them. Game emulators are squished more as well.

Inc with a keyboard would be nice, IMO... Then again, the device would be a chunk with the 3500 mah battery I use. Yikes.

Upvote 0
Love my D2. The only issue I have with it is that my browser will freeze for about 10 seconds every now and then.

I did manage to freeze my wife's yesterday. I come from blackberry and since they are such slow web browsers I have gotten in the habit of launching a webpage then going to do something else on the phone while the page loads. This resulted in the whole device locking up and I had to power it off. I hope this isn't a common occurance because I like to start it in the background and still be able to text or email.

Upvote 0
I had a Droid1 and just switched to the Droid 2 last week. I've played with both the 2 and the X.. and the only difference (as far as I've seen..) is the size, keyboard and camera. I don't need an 8mp camera on my phone since I have a 12.2mp digital camera (although my 5mp droid 2 takes better pics haha) ... but the UI on both phones is the same.. I loved them both but went with the Droid 2 because I like having a physical keyboard..

Upvote 0
To all of you participating in this thread I wanted to say congrats on keeping the comments at professional levels. Im a Blackberry user, fixing to make the leap UP to droid, because BlackBerry has left me high and dry without a smartphone that even begins to keep up with technology.

If this conversation was held at CrackBerry.com there would be a fist fight over how much better phone A is than phone B. Thats not the case here, and I like that.

Im also struggling between the D2 and the X, and am leaning towards the D2 simply because I think the X seems a little too large for a phone. I dont want to fracture my hip sitting on it!

Just kidding, but thanks for a great discussion.

Reactions: jroc
Upvote 0
When my Blackberry/AT&T contract expired, I got me and my wife D2's, and so far, I have nothing but great things to say about them. With a minimum of twiddling and tweaking, I've gotten them both to do everything that we need them to do (and more), and personally, I love the physical keyboard -- being able bang out a legitimate work-related email multiplies the usefulness of the phone so much for me. But if you want a big screen for video's and games, go for the DX!

Upvote 0
To all of you participating in this thread I wanted to say congrats on keeping the comments at professional levels. Im a Blackberry user, fixing to make the leap UP to droid, because BlackBerry has left me high and dry without a smartphone that even begins to keep up with technology.

If this conversation was held at CrackBerry.com there would be a fist fight over how much better phone A is than phone B. Thats not the case here, and I like that.

Im also struggling between the D2 and the X, and am leaning towards the D2 simply because I think the X seems a little too large for a phone. I dont want to fracture my hip sitting on it!

Just kidding, but thanks for a great discussion.

The community here has been great. I am/was a BB user and my DX should be here tomorrow. I must say it wasn't an easy decision.

Upvote 0
Mine has never frozen.

Well then, it obviously doesn't happen then! Case closed. Ahhh. Time for lunch?
Side rant and this isn't really directed at you: one of my pet peeves is telling the board I have an issue expecting help with it, only to get replies like "doesn't happen to me". Oh really now?! That's cool. Next time I have a flat tire on the side of the road I'll be sure to survey the other people driving by to see how they're doing with their perfectly unflat tires. I'd like to know their opinion on how it is to have a working tire vs my broken one.

maybe I've dealt with customer service's bs dismissiveness (a word?) Too much, but its just irritating. Its like they're either a)trivializing my problem like my issue is some rare freak of nature that only happens every solar eclipse or b) they're telling me I'm lying. Either way...grrr. sorry. That was an unnecessary rant and will probably get taken down; but I'm at work pretending to be productive so I thought....meh. you know. That i'd try out the keyboard some more on my d2!

End rant

I've had the same browser lag a few times. My theory at first was that it had to do with launcher pro stumbling all over my resources, but it could be something else. When it happens, I just move my finger all over the screen like I'm scrolling and it goes back to normal

Upvote 0
..my buddie has the X and we switched phones for a half day at work and now he wants the D2..

That exact thing happened between my friend and his wife; they swapped phones for a day, after a discussion as to which was "better," and now she wants to return her X for a Droid 2.

I'm enjoying this thread (most of it ;)) quite a bit because I'm gathering info this way, among other ways, before purchasing my next device. My Eris has been perfect since I got it, through 1.5, 2.1 and some 2.2 ROMs, thus I am spoiled, so quality is a huge consideration.

My next step is to play with the three candidate phones in the store: X, 2 and Fascinate.. at the moment, X is ahead of the pack for its nice big screen, as I read about it. But, like many, the Droid 2 could win, although I'll have to be convinced of needing a slide out keyboard (as some have been ;)).

Upvote 0
Interesting reading. I have an EVO so I'm only over here because my Mom just got the D2 and I was helping her with it yesterday setting it up. It sure was hard for me to deal with the small screen but that's probably just cause I've been spoiled by the real estate on my own phone. She needed the regular keyboard because of physical problems and it worked ok for me. Especially after I removed the case the store sold them that made it hard to type on the top row of keys. Overall, it seemed like the D2 is kind of clunky, especially in the widget department. Hopefully she'll get used to it. I tried to set it up so she could do the things she really needs to do without getting stuck. Not the usual demographic for a smartphone but I couldn't talk them out of it. Fortunately my Dad got frustrated with it before I got there so he's not getting one.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones