1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Am I crazy to not get a case or screen protector

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by DaveG, May 20, 2010.

1. DaveG

DaveG Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2010
    I haven't used a touch screen device since the Good `ol days of the Palm Tungsten series...

If I get the EVO I would plan on NOT getting any type of case or screen protector. Am I crazy or should this thing hold up pretty well in my front pants pocket? (Obviously no spate change or keys in the same pocket.)

Advertisement

2. colburnr

colburnr Member

Nov 23, 2009
    Indiana
    I don't think your crazy. I am going to do the same! I had the Hero and the screen on that thing was bullet proof!!!

3. bbenny

bbenny Member

May 13, 2010
    i will be rolling naked as well... a few nicks and scratches are worth not having bulk in pocket to me. I've gone naked with every phone i've had... no big deal.

4. DUBious

DUBious Well-Known Member

May 19, 2010
    Houston TX
    theres really no reason not to have atleast a screen protector. if you consider 'bulk" to be about as thin as a piece of paper then... other then that why not keep resale value up and a beautiful VIEWABLE screen. these things are NOT bulletproof.

5. some.devil

some.devil Well-Known Member

May 12, 2010
    I bought 2 cases for my iPhone, after a few weeks I never used them again.

6. RiverOfIce

Mar 30, 2010
    In exile
    Going with the body protectors invisible shield thing. I am not nice to my devices.

7. devobail

devobail Active Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Riverside, CA
    My Hero's naked, and still looks good. I'll be going naked!

8. SMC333

SMC333 Member

May 18, 2010
    I'm going to try a screen protector from phantomskinz.. if i don't like it ill be rocking it completely naked

9. mobilemaniac

mobilemaniac Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2010
    You'll want to buy the rust protection, because these babies will rust up on you like that!
    [​IMG]

mrk likes this.
  10. Fireace22

Fireace22 Active Member

May 13, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    I currently use a case and screen protector but plan on going with just a screen protector for my Evo.

11. ImmaSlave4U

ImmaSlave4U Well-Known Member

I don't think I'll be bulking up my EVO with a case, either.

12. drksilenc

drksilenc Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2010
    Helpdesk and asset management
    Pittsburgh area
    the thing is you really dont need a screen protector for this phone because the screen is hardened glass

13. DUBious

DUBious Well-Known Member

May 19, 2010
    Houston TX

hardened GLASS. lol i hate to point out the obvious, jk.

14. 80s_kid

80s_kid Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Maryland
    i already order my stealth guard. you get two full body covers for 10 bucks.

15. ayman86

ayman86 Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    i always go naked with my phones. just easier that way.

16. nyijedi

nyijedi Active Member

Jan 8, 2010
    You're not crazy.

The screen protectors don't add bulk, but when you have a nice glass screen, they really take away from the nice feeling of using the device "naked." I've tried both Zagg's (which I hated because of the textured feeling and the "orange peel" appearance), and Bodyguardz, and they both feel crappy when compared to the glass. Plus, there always appears to be some streaking effect with the protectors, even if you don't get anything stuck underneath them.

The glass screens are incredibly durable, so I'll probably go naked, however, they can be scratched. I got a tiny scratch on my Moto Droid and I'm extremely careful with it. I have no idea how I did it, but I will say this - in my opinion, if you're careful with your phone, the benefits of going naked are worth it.

17. Tallest65

Tallest65 Member

Mar 2, 2010
    Queens, NY
    Don't think you're crazy but remember that the lens for the camera on the back isn't flush against the back of the phone, so it may get scratched. Just something to think about.

18. mangosinslo

mangosinslo Well-Known Member

May 15, 2010
    RadioShack Sales Associate
    slo
  19. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants

Dec 2, 2009
    Network Admin
    Chicago
    I always get at least a screen protector. I like phone condoms as well.

Tapatalk. Samsung Moment. Yep.

20. DaveG

DaveG Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Wow thanks so much for all the replies. I think I'll go without a case or screen protection. Good point about the lens of the camera being flush with the case, I remember seeing that on the Endadget review. I have a feeling that when the phone is not in my pocket I'll tend to use the kickstand to keep it propped up.

All the videos make it seem like the 'Sense UI' home screen with the time and weather only works in portrait mode. Is that correct or will it flip to landscape mode, too?

Tags: