• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

AMAZING Battery Life..... Really?

Vicdude

Android Enthusiast
Jun 2, 2010
Nottingham UK
Hi All, I reckon I'm doing something massively wrong when it comes to battery life.
I've read and watched the reviews and I've heard you guys bang on about getting a days use out of the phone, I get nowhere near that and I can only assume that you guys must have it on settings that mean the screen is hardly ever on, that the thing is never connected to anything or even used other than for the odd text...
As you know, I came from the HTC Desire which really did have a spot of bother with battery life. Very poor. So much so, I ended up with chargers everywhere, Home, Work, car, friends houses, even the local pub.
Because of that, my charger disciplne is quite good and I am rarely without power. That is not the point for my questions though, it's not a fear of running out of juice, it's intrigue..... how do you "Heavy" users make it last from 07:00am until 10:00pm?

I think you kill all the cool stuff on the phone, thus rendering it an expensive paperweight ;)

What settings are you typically using for your powersave modes?

Here's my settings and like I say, unplugged with moderate use, I'll get maybe 5-6 hrs before my 15% warning comes up:
So, Menu>settings>Display>Screen Display>Wallpaper>LiveWallpaper
I like this because it means that when my phone is on my desk,table or sofa, it looks cool :D I could turn it off but that's dull. What's the point
Menu>settings>Display>Brightness>Automatic Brightness.... I've seen people with it turned right down to barely visable.....It's a great phone, show it off man :D
Menu>settings>Display>Screen Mode>Normal
Menu>settings>Display>Auto Rotate>Check
Menu>settings>Display>Animation>All animations. Again, why turn it off, it makes the Note dull...
Menu>settings>Display>Screen Timeout>10 mins....... 2 mins annoys me, it's too quick and why do I want it to shut down as soon as I've finished with it. I'm sure "Power users" keep the screen on for hours, watching videos, surfing, texting, emails, gaming, music etc so having the screen out time set at 10 mins shouldn't really be the reason my phone lasts 5-6 hours less than some of the claims

The list is endless, but I think you get the point. I think that anyone can turn everything off and claim eternal battery life but really, how long does it last if you are actually enjoying it properly :D

:D

how can you expect to have good battery life if you leave the screen on and on a live wallpaper all day?!?!

try these:

Hi All, I reckon I'm doing something massively wrong when it comes to battery life.
I've read and watched the reviews and I've heard you guys bang on about getting a days use out of the phone, I get nowhere near that and I can only assume that you guys must have it on settings that mean the screen is hardly ever on, that the thing is never connected to anything or even used other than for the odd text...
As you know, I came from the HTC Desire which really did have a spot of bother with battery life. Very poor. So much so, I ended up with chargers everywhere, Home, Work, car, friends houses, even the local pub.
Because of that, my charger disciplne is quite good and I am rarely without power. That is not the point for my questions though, it's not a fear of running out of juice, it's intrigue..... how do you "Heavy" users make it last from 07:00am until 10:00pm?

I think you kill all the cool stuff on the phone, thus rendering it an expensive paperweight ;)

What settings are you typically using for your powersave modes?

Here's my settings and like I say, unplugged with moderate use, I'll get maybe 5-6 hrs before my 15% warning comes up:
So, Menu>settings>Display>Screen Display>Wallpaper>LiveWallpaper OFF
I like this because it means that when my phone is on my desk,table or sofa, it looks cool :D I could turn it off but that's dull. What's the point OFF definately
Menu>settings>Display>Brightness>Automatic Brightness.... I've seen people with it turned right down to barely visable.....It's a great phone, show it off man :D SET IT TO 45%
Menu>settings>Display>Screen Mode>Normal
Menu>settings>Display>Auto Rotate>Check
Menu>settings>Display>Animation>All animations. Again, why turn it off, it makes the Note dull...
Menu>settings>Display>Screen Timeout>10 mins....... 2 mins annoys me, it's too quick and why do I want it to shut down as soon as I've finished with it. I'm sure "Power users" keep the screen on for hours, watching videos, surfing, texting, emails, gaming, music etc so having the screen out time set at 10 mins shouldn't really be the reason my phone lasts 5-6 hours less than some of the claims JEEZE 10 MINS?!

The list is endless, but I think you get the point. I think that anyone can turn everything off and claim eternal battery life but really, how long does it last if you are actually enjoying it properly :D

:D

I think you seriously need to reconsider usage of screen and timeouts - look at the battery monitor under settings and see how much of you battery drain is caused by ther screen.

Unless you want it on the charger all day, change you settings. I mean, 10 mins for timeout - do you sit all day looking at your screen????

Sorry but to be frank, get a grip man! / woman! :)

Upvote 0
LOL, I hope you don't literally mean that you leave the screen on all day just to see the live wallpaper. :)

This reminds me of someone I met the other week. She was complaining that her iPhone battery barely lasts the full day. I was surprised because I had an iPhone and the battery was very good. Turned out she intentionally disabled "sleep" mode, so the screen would always be on unless you physically turn it off. But here's the funny part... she never turns off the screen because she thinks it has to be "on" in order to get texts and phone calls! haha! :D

Upvote 0
I don't disable anything.

I get 14 hours+ each day with sync on, data on and wifi. Phone is using hspa only. No 2g. Some days I get even more.

Screen use is 3 hours on.

Anyone wanting battery life better than this is being greedy considering the size of the screen and the graphics power needed to render that many pixels.

See my posts to see I how I achieved this. Root is necessary and gives you total control over your device.

Upvote 0

I get 14 hours+ each day with sync on, data on and wifi. Phone is using hspa only. No 2g. Some days I get even more.

Anyone wanting battery life better than this is being greedy considering the size of the screen and the graphics power needed to render that many pixels.

See my posts to see I how I achieved this. Root is necessary and gives you total control over your device.

That's pretty much the same as what I get here. (You may get a little more, but I'm still running stock)

Here's how I have everything setup.

Live Wallpaper - Yes
Brightness - 60% (I don't use automatic brightness.)
Push notifications setup for Gmail, Facebook, G+
Weather - Set to auto refresh every hour using geolocation
I don't kill any apps or widgets (The OS does a good enough job.)
Data is always enabled (Bluetooth, and GPS stay off until needed.)

As of this moment I am sitting at 52% battery left, while using the device on battery for the last 8:30 hours. My display time says the screen has been on for 1:30 hours. My battery typically lasts around 12-16 hours until I switch to the spare. Usually around 12 hours because I use my phone a ton when I get off work.

Upvote 0

I've got a question about "screen use." You're stating you get 14 hours, but it seems like you're only "using" the phone for 3 hours. Am i confused? I'm considering getting an Android phone, but I'm worried about what kind of battery life I can get. On my iPhone 4, I get 5-6 hours of browsing in a day (charged at 6 am and at 30% or so by 10-11 pm). I've also read that the Note can only get a little over 3 hours of browsing from some of the reviews I've read. However, then I see people saying how great the battery is or that it's comparable to an iPhone.

Upvote 0
Not sure why my battery life has been awful. As an example, last night I took my phone off charger, fully charged. Slept 6 hrs and was down to 50%. Wifi is off, screen was off. When I look at battery usage the majority is from cell phone standby? Do I have something wrong?

Also when I went into running services I see a whol list of things running that I have no idea hat they are doing. I assume all of these are from AT&T. Also notice it gets hot and no apps pear to be running

Upvote 0
Not sure why my battery life has been awful. As an example, last night I took my phone off charger, fully charged. Slept 6 hrs and was down to 50%. Wifi is off, screen was off. When I look at battery usage the majority is from cell phone standby? Do I have something wrong?

Also when I went into running services I see a whol list of things running that I have no idea hat they are doing. I assume all of these are from AT&T. Also notice it gets hot and no apps pear to be running

You say that wifi was off but was your cell data also off? If not then it was probably your phone synching with something out on the net. I know that skype and my voip client can drain my battery if I leave them running in the background. Apparently steam IM is also a major battery killer (although I have not used it myself). Download batteryXL and make sure that your cell data is turned off overnight and see if that makes a difference to your battery usage.

The running services are mostly part of the OS and you can ignore them. There are some that are bloatware, but if you do not fancy rooting your phone you are not going to get rid of those. I just ignore them and they mostly don't get in my way. I have not signed up for a samsung account so the usual social hub battery killer does not seem to hit me.

I noticed that a reboot can sometimes help if my phone is draining quickly for apparently no reason, but in general if I use my phone then my battery drains. This is actually normal if you think about it. This is a phone with a screen with the resolution to better a netbook and the processor and GPU to match. How many netbooks run on battery for more than 4 hours?

My old Nokia feature phone could run for two weeks between charges, but it had a tiny display and I used it only for calls (very rarely). The iPhone has a smaller display and a very locked down OS. Neither of these compare to the functionallity of the Note, so why do people continually compare battery performance. Really does not make sense if you think about it.

Regards,
Eric Ritchie.

Upvote 0
How do I turn off cell phone data? What impact does that have when turned off? Does that mean emails stop? So, this is only something you do when go to sleep? I could just turn whole phone off or go to airplane mode and accomplish same thing, except now phone is off as well? I just downloaded the battery xl, hoping that does something. Thanks for your help and responses.

Upvote 0
How do I turn off cell phone data? What impact does that have when turned off? Does that mean emails stop? So, this is only something you do when go to sleep? I could just turn whole phone off or go to airplane mode and accomplish same thing, except now phone is off as well? I just downloaded the battery xl, hoping that does something. Thanks for your help and responses.

With cell data off you will not receive emails but you can still make and receive phone calls. You can manually do this by long holding the power button and selecting data network mode. BatteryXL is more friendly though and enables and disables data based on time of day.

Regards,
Eric Ritchie.

Upvote 0
BatteryXL gives me a big problem. If I have it set to disable Data on screen off, then if I manually disable Wifi for some reason, then my Data never gets enabled. It's a whole workaround to get my Data back. Ended up uninstalling, because i'm just afraid i'm going to do something that will mess up my phone settings.

Upvote 0
BatteryXL gives me a big problem. If I have it set to disable Data on screen off, then if I manually disable Wifi for some reason, then my Data never gets enabled. It's a whole workaround to get my Data back. Ended up uninstalling, because i'm just afraid i'm going to do something that will mess up my phone settings.

I don't disable Wifi manually as there is a setting which enables BatteryXL to remember my fav networks, so I never faced this problem. However, I would suggest you email the developer as the app is still in beta. As for me, I uninstalled Juice Defender which I had purchased since it lagged my phone, and I'm a happy camper with BatteryXL.

Upvote 0

Same Issue for me
I counldnt Enable it as a WiFi hot spot

so i had to Off the BatteryXL app

then only I can tether

Upvote 0
I don't disable Wifi manually as there is a setting which enables BatteryXL to remember my fav networks, so I never faced this problem. However, I would suggest you email the developer as the app is still in beta. As for me, I uninstalled Juice Defender which I had purchased since it lagged my phone, and I'm a happy camper with BatteryXL.

Hi
can you Please give
step by step instruction on how to do that
cos i tryed & it did not work for me :(
maybe im not doing it right

Please Help

Upvote 0

I also had an issue with a black screen of death. I took off BatteryXL and hey presto, problem seems to have gone away

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones