• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Amazon Prime Day July 11-12

ocnbrze

DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
  • May 13, 2010
    Los Angeles
    so Prime Day is starting in a few hours.

anybody planning on getting anything during the event?

for me i'm not sure, i'm just gonna see what is out there and what kind of deals can be had. i'm thinking something like a bluetooth meat thermometer.

what are you getting?

If anyone wants a new Android tablet, Amazon probably has discounts on the Fire tablets for Prime Day. But you'll have to install Google Play services yourself, because the Fire tablet doesn't come with them.
    If it hasn't changed in the last couple years, the process is dead simple and takes maybe 10 minutes.

Upvote 0
    I only have one item on my radar. Didn't expect it to be on sale, checked and it wasn't. Prefer to buy it from someone else anyway, so that's Prime Day done for me.

(I've never actually worked out what saving would justify the effort of joining Prime temporarily in order for me to get it, because that's pretty much how it goes every year).

Upvote 0
    I have a piece of Amazon marketing merchandise, an insulated coffee cup they sent me for some reason I've long forgotten, that's so old that the "swoosh" in their logo was the other way up (before someone thought "hey, if we turn it over it looks like a smile").

But I almost never need next day delivery, and don't watch a lot of TV, so for me Prime isn't actually worth the price. Plus I prefer to support smaller businesses for most things, so paying a subscription to the biggest retailer out there, which is also an incentive to use them in order more to get value from that subscription, doesn't really make sense for me.

Upvote 0
    I buy a great deal of stuff from Amazon and have been a Prime member for years. I enjoy their rental books that I use a great deal across the winter months. The next day shipping is not a biggie but Prime shipping adds up if you are a regular consumer. I likely save enough through a year in shipping costs to cover my Prime membership. I do watch some of their steams. Not a stand alone cost equalizer but it's there.
    Other merchants outside of Amazon are also having a Prime sale. The e-bike upgrade I've been fighting off is also having a prime sale. The bike I want (RipCurrent S) is $800 off today through tomorrow. They don't sell on Amazon but are taking advantage of the Prime sale by having one of their own.

Upvote 0
    Uh, that's just to add to my existing Array. Lol. I'm currently removing media I don't like to free up some space too. 4k eats a ton of space, and then I still need an additional 1080p copy so it doesn't have to transcode :). So 1 4k/1080p movie set can eat 100gb of space by itself.

Unless the movie is Lord of the Rings, which a single one of them in 4k is an eye watering 132GB
    mdp.jpg

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones