• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help An issue I have with GMail notification...

SBrooks1

Apr 27, 2010
Can someone tell me why when I get a notification for a new Gmail e-mail, I pull down the notification slider and click on it to view it. After that the notification still remains and I have to pull the slider down again to view it again. Then it clears it. Is the first one some type of preview that I can disable getting a notification for?

Don't have my phone with me right now to double check but I think it's because you're getting a notification for the gmail app and one for the messages app (all message types). I think you can disable notifications for the gmail and they'll still come through as notifications from the messaging app to eliminate doubles. If you don't have gmail unread count, it's a handy free app also BTW. Unread number shows up on the gmail icon.

Upvote 0
Actually here's what happens...

1. I get an e-mail notification
2. I slide down the notification slider and click on the e-mail to view it
3. I go back to the home screen, notification still remains
4. I slide down the notification slider again and click the e-mail again
5. It takes me to my GMail inbox showing everything

What's with the 2nd notification?

Upvote 0
Actually here's what happens...

1. I get an e-mail notification
2. I slide down the notification slider and click on the e-mail to view it
3. I go back to the home screen, notification still remains
4. I slide down the notification slider again and click the e-mail again
5. It takes me to my GMail inbox showing everything

What's with the 2nd notification?

can you post pics of the icons by chance??

Upvote 0
I use gmail unread count and I haven't had any issues. You also have the ability to change the icon. IT comes loaded with some nice choices.

As for the notification issue. I had one or two instances where I had a notification but when I slid it down, selected it, it took me to gmail but there wasn't a new message. I selected it again and then the new message was there. I wonder if its loading an old view from cache... otherwise its a very minor bug that has only happened once or twice.

Upvote 0
Can someone tell me why when I get a notification for a new Gmail e-mail, I pull down the notification slider and click on it to view it. After that the notification still remains and I have to pull the slider down again to view it again. Then it clears it. Is the first one some type of preview that I can disable getting a notification for?
More than likely you have both, the Google and HTC mail client notifications turned on. Meaning, you are getting a notification from each app. Open the app that you do not want to be your primary Gmail app, Click Menu, More/Setting, and turn Notifications off. Make sure to leave Notification on for the mail app you want as your active mail app.

Upvote 0
When I get a Gmail notification it does not clear unless I press back after viewing the email.

Interesting observation:

I use the Google Mail Checker with Chrome.

If the icon has an unread mail, and I open the email to read it, the icon does not update to reflect that the mail has been read. It is not until I click back into my inbox that the icon updates to reflect that I read the email.

If I wait long enough, it will eventually update. But it could be several minutes after I read the email.

Just interesting that it seems like similar behavior here. I wonder if a similar piece of code is used?

Upvote 0
More than likely you have both, the Google and HTC mail client notifications turned on. Meaning, you are getting a notification from each app. Open the app that you do not want to be your primary Gmail app, Click Menu, More/Setting, and turn Notifications off. Make sure to leave Notification on for the mail app you want as your active mail app.

My HTC Mail is set up for my work e-mail. My GMail is set up for my personal e-mail. So no GMail is coming through HTC Mail.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones