• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root And another one bites the dust. Dead N7

ajdroidx

Android Expert
Oct 8, 2011
Colorado
My first Nexus 7 wifi gave up the ghost about 6-7 months after I got it, it was the wifi version. A few months later, I replaced it with an AT&T HSPA version (3g), had issues right out of the gate with it holding a charge but due to busy schedule, I was unable to confirm this to send it back. It worked, but ate battery like crazy, well, I guess this killed the battery because after I gave the device to my sister who could keep the thing charged better then I could.

Well, after doing a factory reset, unlocking the bootloader installing TWRP and root, she got the 4.3 update, and not knowing any better, she installed it. It failed, shut off and now will not power back up even plugged into the charger.

Thing is barely two months old.

I tried holding down power, power + down, power + up down etc. And will keep trying but it looks dead.

Any ideas? Another nexus device write off for me?

Edit: got into recovery.
Is it possible to update to 4.3 from twrp?

May have hung at boot?

Oh, got moved again (I thought dead nexus fell under the umbrella of general, but oh well, sorry about that :eek:)

Anyway, I did get it revived, but looks like the original factory image is toast (anyone know where I can get the full 4.2.2 or 4.3 image (not a rom) and how to install it. I suspect pushing it via ADB.

Mean while, I did put buttered aokp back on it (its not rooted, but that can be fixed easily) and I may need to locate the APN settings and put them in.

What a mess.

EDIT. I found the correct info and files to restore things back to factory. For now, though just going to ride on the rom.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones