• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android 2.1 Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it possible that they are pushing this update in preparation for the 2.1 update? Maybe they are splitting the update into two separate updates because it is rather large for the network to handle. Users get the first update with no change and then the second update upgrades to 2.1. What do you think?

I'm with Jay. Maybe this is the Foreplay Update before the big prize. Maybe this is merely the lube to mitigate soreness.

Upvote 0
Users get the first update with no change
Why would there be an update with no change? I don't understand what you are getting at here :thinking:
I nor my son got the update notification but when we do I hope there is some more concrete info about it!

I'm with Jay. Maybe this is the Foreplay Update before the big prize. Maybe this is merely the lube to mitigate soreness.
Or that. LOL

Upvote 0
Why would there be an update with no change? I don't understand what you are getting at here :thinking:
I nor my son got the update notification but when we do I hope there is some more concrete info about it!

What I meant is that a preliminary update comes OTA and sits idle in the Droid, but the firmware and build versions stay the same. This is the first half of the 2.1 update. When the second half is received, it is combined with the first half and the 2.1 update is complete.

Upvote 0
My feelings exactly friend.

On another note, most reps you will get a hold of would know if there was an actual update rolling out. This is very suspicious. I would advise anyone else who gets a notification to hold out to accept the update and I might even hold out on re-signing into Facebook.

uch! well, that's great. i've already accepted the great "break my droid" bogus OTA of 2010. could someone actually perpetrate some sort of weird virus push or something? and TODAY is the end of my 30 day window. i'm going to go hide under the desk now. sigh.

Upvote 0
What I meant is that a preliminary update comes OTA and sits idle in the Droid, but the firmware and build versions stay the same. This is the first half of the 2.1 update. When the second half is received, it is combined with the first half and the 2.1 update is complete.
Thanks, I understand your theory now. I did not understand why they would push nothing.

Upvote 0
uch! well, that's great. i've already accepted the great "break my droid" bogus OTA of 2010. could someone actually perpetuate some sort of weird virus push or something? and TODAY is the end of my 30 day window. i'm going to go hide under the desk now. sigh.

Gidget do not worry. I was just speculating...I did not mean to freak you out. If something goes wrong you willbe covered by vzw

Upvote 0
Man you guys are over analyzing this. First off they can't send out a update like 2.1 in 2 pieces, it needs to be in one part for it to work, that is just how Android is. For a 2 piece update to work it would have to store the first half on your SD card and then when the 2nd half came the phone would install them together, if that's the case then whoever has gotten this can check your SD card for any large unknown files. This could *possibly* be some type of update that blocks/fixes the root exploit, I don't have any idea if it really is BUT that is definitely something they would do in silence and not want to tell us about. It may just be a simple update to who knows what that had a side effect of requiring you to sign into facebook again without actually updating facebook.

Upvote 0

Is that like a sleeper cell, in this case a sleeper update? In the case of the droid does that make it a cylon awaiting activation. Google is taking over.
J.

Upvote 0
this is actually quite funny to read... there are a few people who claim to have received an update notification but no actual update... fishy? yes...

i cant imagine that an update would be released for facebook alone since its available from the app market and can be updated that way. wouldnt you just received an app notification...?

2.1 wouldnt come in 2 parts. if this update was a prelim, what would be the purpose...? i didnt realize we had to preload 2.1 in order to load 2.1. seems strange. unless its similar to having to format a floppy disk before using it or something. which still doesnt make sense because all your settings are still there.

if someone could post exactly what changed after they downloaded this so called update, that would be cool. if you dont have any changes, it doesnt make sense that it was an actual update. especially when there is no information (as of 1:46pst 18-jan) on any tech blogs, vzw, or motorola. seems like fanboy hype to me.

Upvote 0
if someone could post exactly what changed after they downloaded this so called update, that would be cool. if you dont have any changes, it doesnt make sense that it was an actual update. especially when there is no information (as of 1:46pst 18-jan) on any tech blogs, vzw, or motorola. seems like fanboy hype to me.

yes, i am quite the fanboy. that explains everything. absolutely nothing has changed on the phone that i can tell, other than i had to resignin to my fb (not bloo, just fb), and i only realized that because the OP talked about it, so i checked (i don't even use that app, i use bloo). i can't find anything new on my sd card, either. i'm not trying to somehow pull some sort of crazy hoax here, and i never said this was a 2.1 two part OTA. all i know is that sometime last night, i got what looked, walked and quacked like an OTA, and it either did or did not install, and that is the end of my knowledge of this circular topic. why would some people say this happened? did we all wake up today and decide to see if we could fool the boards? we are crafty, us fanboys. really, really pointlessly crafty.

Upvote 0
I think this is the answer to your guys questions, I got this from another forum:

Quote "
JFDroid Says: 01-15-2010, 04:16 PM

Some people who got 2.0.1 got an old version of Facebook when they initially updated from 2.0 to 2.0.1.

I know at least 15,000 people were affected, they started pushing the update yesterday and all affected people should be getting the update within the next few days.

If you are on 2.0.1 and it says there is an update to install 2.0.1, I would hit yes and install it as the chances are 99% that you got a bad version of 2.0.1 with an old version of Facebook.
Quote"

Maybe the update will take place tonite, I'm not sure were they're getting this information from. I just know the last time that we saw an update people were able to sniff out prematurely the Verizon 2.01 update page. So, I wonder if we will see the same thing, before the 2.1 update is rolled out.

AC

Upvote 0
yes, i am quite the fanboy. that explains everything. absolutely nothing has changed on the phone that i can tell, other than i had to resignin to my fb (not bloo, just fb), and i only realized that because the OP talked about it, so i checked (i don't even use that app, i use bloo). i can't find anything new on my sd card, either. i'm not trying to somehow pull some sort of crazy hoax here, and i never said this was a 2.1 two part OTA. all i know is that sometime last night, i got what looked, walked and quacked like an OTA, and it either did or did not install, and that is the end of my knowledge of this circular topic. why would some people say this happened? did we all wake up today and decide to see if we could fool the boards? we are crafty, us fanboys. really, really pointlessly crafty.

didnt mean to imply you were the fanboy. was more referring to the hype that has come of this post. im sure you got some type of notification or something. its just odd that you didnt actually get an update.

Upvote 0
I'm not saying anyone is lying here, I totally believe some people got updates. It is just most of the theories here as to what it is are rather bogus.

sorry, i know. most everyone has been cool about it and just as perplexed as those of us who got this. but when some people come on and act like we're just making stuff up for...i actually can't think of a reason...that's crazy making. anyhow, sorry. this board has been the single most helpful resource i've found for my new toy...um, phone. it's been really cool all the things i've found here and all the support. (but i really did get an OTA last night and i will cut you if you argue with me.) ;-)

Upvote 0
I think this is the answer to your guys questions, I got this from another forum:

Quote "
JFDroid Says: 01-15-2010, 04:16 PM

Some people who got 2.0.1 got an old version of Facebook when they initially updated from 2.0 to 2.0.1.

I know at least 15,000 people were affected, they started pushing the update yesterday and all affected people should be getting the update within the next few days.

If you are on 2.0.1 and it says there is an update to install 2.0.1, I would hit yes and install it as the chances are 99% that you got a bad version of 2.0.1 with an old version of Facebook.
Quote"

Maybe the update will take place tonite, I'm not sure were they're getting this information from. I just know the last time that we saw an update people were able to sniff out prematurely the Verizon 2.01 update page. So, I wonder if we will see the same thing, before the 2.1 update is rolled out.

AC

Odd...this still sounds funny. Releasing an app update like this seems quite over the top, they could simply address it in the upcoming update (2.02 or 2.1, whichever is next) rather than putting out this in the interim.

They expose themselves to more potential problems and customer support issues by adding another update like this.

Still doesn't make sense to me...only reason I could see to "fix" those 15,000 phones, assuming above is generally accurate, would be if those phones would not accept the next update properly unless they were fixed first.

Speculation is its own reward, I guess... ;)

Upvote 0
i told you guys, it was an firmware refresh to update facebook.

yes you can update facebook, maps, etc.. (built in apps) through the market but the problem with the people who probably got this update (including myself) is that we COULDNT update facebook through the market.

no matter what i did, facebook would not update through the market. the second i got this OTA upgrade last night i went right to the market and it was able to download and install.

this update is probably what fixed that since people "shouldnt" be rooted and cant fix it themselves.

Upvote 0
i told you guys, it was an firmware refresh to update facebook.

yes you can update facebook, maps, etc.. (built in apps) through the market but the problem with the people who probably got this update (including myself) is that we COULDNT update facebook through the market.

no matter what i did, facebook would not update through the market. the second i got this OTA upgrade last night i went right to the market and it was able to download and install.

this update is probably what fixed that since people "shouldnt" be rooted and cant fix it themselves.

They must have had a LOT of calls/pressure to put this out just to fix Facebook so close to the expected (by many) update this month.

Or...maybe the 1/22 update isn't happening for 2.1/2.02/whatever, and we really aren't that close. I know that won't make folks very happy. <evil grin>

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones