• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android 2.1 Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
meh, doesn't bug me, if i get it, i won't download til i hear more of what it does, no one seems to have fixes or anything. from the post above it sounds like it fixes some things for 2.1, but hell, i dunno! they could be speculating as well. so til i know more, i won't, that is if i get it, i have had no FB probs or ANY probs, and this is the second droid i've had.

Upvote 0
Anyone who wants root better do it now BEFORE they send out the 2.1 update. Anyone who HAS root and is wondering if they will still get the OTA, yes you will get it unless you renamed or deleted otacerts.zip OR have flashed certain custom ROM's. The real 2.1 update will fix the root exploit we are using now so be aware of that before you allow the update.

Upvote 0
DanSan, your theory isn't looking so hot anymore.

Droid Forum - Covering all Verizon Droid Phones & the Motorola Droid

"We were expecting an update to happen this week beginning on January 22nd but folks its arriving early! Verizon is pushing out a 61.4 MB maintenance release today ahead of schedule that should get users excited for whats soon to come. We haven't seen reports of the version / build number change, although we believe there is still something going on behind the scenes and soon, that will update to 2.0.1 ESD59.

Our sources have indicated Android 2.1 has passed all internal testing on the Droid and a target is to have all Droids updated before the end of the month. This patch had added some minor fixes and preps the phone for a smooth Android 2.1 RELEASE. To be clear, the forthcoming immediate update is not 2.1, but a precursor to smooth the transition to 2.1 which will follow within the next couple of weeks. Stay Tuned, more details to come!

Check out the discussion already in progress here: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-general-discussions/16618-droid-update-morning.html"

Looks like Droidophile was right... it's the lube.

Upvote 0
and for those who HAVE NOT received the update, do you have any problems with facebook? you using the current version?

have not gotten update yet, am having issues with facebook not updating notifications...last notification i got is from 1/7/10...although my news feeds are up to the minute...but we still can't check status updates...so i use m.facebook.com for that

Upvote 0
so....i had FB 1.1.1, no OTA update, notifications issues....as previously stated...went to market DL'd FB 1.1.2, it installed fine, just fine...and my notifications now update...what i don't get is that i DIDN'T get the OTA and my FB was F'd up....unless it updated without prompting me...and that my friends is a scary proposition...

I'm not rooted, although I toyed with the idea yesterday as I sat at home on MLK day, playing with my droid....THE PHONE SICKOS!!!!!!...I was so tempted, but with 2.1 coming on the horizon, and still not 100% comfortable with the concept of rooting and backups and everything involved...i figured I'd wait for 2.1 to get rooted after i'm running it...by then maybe I'll know what I would do with the rooted droid...

Upvote 0
I have version 112 and it's busted. My notifications won't refresh.

Still to this day? I used to get that "...unexpected '-' at line..." error. Is that what you're still getting? Eventually, my notifications started working by itself sometime on Thursday or Friday.

I was on v111 until I saw this thread yesterday. I thought the one on the market was an older version than what came on the Droid, so I never downloaded it. I did the forced update for 2.0.1 rather than the OTA, so I wonder if that accounts for some of the differences in versions. When I did the fb update it went through smoothly.

On a side note, I did notice my GPS indicator was acting funny around the time of the last update, and it happened again around the time this "phantom update" thread popped up. Something is happening.

True story, bro.

Upvote 0
Sounds great! Do I have to manually install this update since my droid is rooted? If so where can I get the update from?

As far as the rooting deal goes I'm not sure, I'm a big Linux/Unix geek but didn't see any reason to root since all I wanted was 2.1 and I knew it was coming soon.
As far as I know it's being pushed OTA from Verizon so I'm not sure if anyone's posted the download yet. Let me get back to you on that one.

Upvote 0
Sounds great! Do I have to manually install this update since my droid is rooted? If so where can I get the update from?

Do a search for OTA and Root ... From everything I've seen go by, the answer is YES, you will have to manually install the update since rooting your Droid disables the OTA updater. The reason being that no one actually knows what is inside the OTA update and may conflict with something you've done during the root-ing process.

As far as where to get the update from, you will have to wait until someone creates a 2.1 update for your currently rooted 2.0.1 version. I'm sure it will only be a few days after the real 2.1 OTA update is released.

Although you could do a search for "stock Droid from root" and read all the articles that have been written about how to turn your Droid back into a stock one after it has already been rooted. Then you could simply wait for the 2.1 OTA update.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones