• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android 2.2 on Eris

This is just a shot in the dark but Eris skipped 1.6 and 2.0 for a reason. Maybe they will skip 2.2 and go to the next major release. Just my 2 cents.
Speculation: 1.5 to 1.6 offered nothing substantial, as far as HTC was concerned. They aimed for the 2.x release instead. 2.0 to 2.1 may also have been minor, so they waited for 2.1.

How much CORE differences are there from 2.1 to 2.2 ? I don't know.

Upvote 0
Speculation: 1.5 to 1.6 offered nothing substantial, as far as HTC was concerned. They aimed for the 2.x release instead. 2.0 to 2.1 may also have been minor, so they waited for 2.1.

How much CORE differences are there from 2.1 to 2.2 ? I don't know.

Another thing to add on top of this is that once Google gets a release done, then HTC has to put their branding on it, Sense UI, etc, and its not easy, nor cheap. So unless there are huge differences between 2.2 and 2.1, I dont see an "official" release coming but I do see future support for a major release. But thats just me.

Upvote 0
Probably never. It is my understanding that the Eris will not have the hardware to run 2.2. And Eris is EOL, so I don't see them spending time/money to make 2.2 run with the Eris.

dont they have it running on the g1? ... i know they have the same insides basically but it is my understanding that the eris is [slightly] better so wouldnt it be able to run on the eris.

i know we probably wont when considering the eol but i mean we can if it gets ported i would think

Upvote 0
And as jcase and other devs have said. If you are rooted, you will be able to use 2.2 and any other future release. Look at the G1, first device and Google went on record to say it will not be able to have 2.2; the devs over there got it up and working and its a functional ROM. Mind you, a lot of features are missing because they had to gut it to fit on the phone, but it does work.

Unfortunately, it may take until 2012 or longer for anyone to figure out how to actually root the Eris...

Upvote 0
It doesn't have the hardware to run 2.1... oh wait. nm.

But seriously, 2.2 is supposed to be much better for both the carrier, manufacturer, app devs, and google themselves. It decentralizes the OS from the enhancements like Sense UI so that the OS can upgrade without having to wait for the manufacturer then carrier to roll out the update. So I really think Verizon would like to upgrade all their phones to 2.2 for the benefit that all their phones will be easy to maintain.

So Sense UI will be one app, not customized for Droid Eris, Droid Incredible, and whatever else it runs on and needed to be coded individually for. So what I'm saying is that Verizon won't have to invest much/any money to update the phone.

From a carrier's point of view, having upgrades come directly from Google would not be thrilling to them. Large companies like to have absolute control over distribution to ensure the safety and proprietary nature of their product.

I doubt we will ever see 2.2 on anything other than root.

Upvote 0
I love how there's so many people stating that the Eris isn't getting 2.2, when in reality nobody knows for sure until HTC/Verizon give us an answer.
It's "unlikely," but could happen. I'm doubting Verizon is chomping at the bit to release another major version after this fiasco.

Think of how many phones have been returned (either dissatisfied upgraders or leakers)

Upvote 0
It's "unlikely," but could happen. I'm doubting Verizon is chomping at the bit to release another major version after this fiasco.

Think of how many phones have been returned (either dissatisfied upgraders or leakers)

Android websites and forums are a bad way to gauge the impact of something like the OTA. We're a very tiny minority of users. I would imagine that the returns and leakers are probably not enough for Verizon to really notice, beyond the Twitter account that maybe 6-8 of us were dealing with.

If HTC puts the work into making a ROM for the Eris, VZW will most likely push it out.

Upvote 0
Umm... People seem to forget this is a FORUM. If we cant converse here, then why have a forum to begin with? There's nothing wrong with this thread. Relax
:D:D:D:D

Yes this is a forum and everyone has a right to their rants but starting a new thread that has already been started 100 times is not needed. This is why this forum has gone to crap. People dont search and feel entitled to do as they please.

Upvote 0
Android websites and forums are a bad way to gauge the impact of something like the OTA. We're a very tiny minority of users. I would imagine that the returns and leakers are probably not enough for Verizon to really notice, beyond the Twitter account that maybe 6-8 of us were dealing with.

If HTC puts the work into making a ROM for the Eris, VZW will most likely push it out.
It shows a sample of the entire Eris community. We are the most likely to be heard (or most globally vocal) because of the forum, and it is highly unlikely that the problems we face here are not shared by the community as a whole. If we see the response and the solution, then it is likely many others have chosen the path to return their phones as well.

The one major difference, is that compared to the rest of the community, we likely have far more here (and on the xdv forums) that are running leak than anywhere else in the community.

Upvote 0
Yes this is a forum and everyone has a right to their rants but starting a new thread that has already been started 100 times is not needed. This is why this forum has gone to crap. People dont search and feel entitled to do as they please.

This is also why you have ten times the lurkers on here than posters, because about every third poster gets ripped a new one for posting some subject that the established users don't feel is necessary. Some people need to lighten up.

(Okay, I will shut up now and go back to my lurking).

Upvote 0
This is also why you have ten times the lurkers on here than posters, because about every third poster gets ripped a new one for posting some subject that the established users don't feel is necessary. Some people need to lighten up.

Right... If people don't like a topic, they don't have to read it. Seeing 2.2 in the header should have been a dead give-away.

Upvote 0

My first post was not a jab at the OP. It was simply a note and kind of a joke. Hence the kittens speak. But to what you said, just because you are a lurker and post here and there doesnt mean its ok for you or anyone to not read or search before posting. They have a great feature on this board for when you try to create a thread, it does the searching for you. But do people say, hey, there is already a thread about this, let me just add on to that? No, they ignore and create a whole new thread. Or think that because theirs is just a lil different, they need to open a new one. As stated above, this is a forum and everyone has a right to their op. So why is mine any different?

Sorry for going off subject of the 2.2

Upvote 0
I love how there's so many people stating that the Eris isn't getting 2.2, when in reality nobody knows for sure until HTC/Verizon give us an answer.

True, but I think that HTC has already given an answer. They said that they plan on updating most phones that were released in 2010 to FroYo in the second half of 2010. Did they say that they were not going to update the 2009 (and 2008) phones? No, but I'll take their statement as meaning that they are working on updates only for this year's phones, and the Eris just misses that cut.

Here is what they said (from Android Central):

[...] if your phone was launched this year, we will most likely offer an upgrade for it to the Froyo version. This includes popular models like the Desire and Droid Incredible as well as hotly anticipated phones like the Evo 4G, MyTouch slide and upcoming models. We will announce a full list of phones and dates once we are closer to launching the upgrades. We are working closely with Google and our other partners to ensure we have the earliest access to everything we need to provide a complete and solid Sense experience on Froyo. We expect to release all updates in the second half of this year but can't be more specific yet.

Upvote 0
True, but I think that HTC has already given an answer. They said that they plan on updating most phones that were released in 2010 to FroYo in the second half of 2010. Did they say that they were not going to update the 2009 (and 2008) phones? No, but I'll take their statement as meaning that they are working on updates only for this year's phones, and the Eris just misses that cut.

Here is what they said (from Android Central):
Based on that quote, that's exactly what they said.

Upvote 0
ok 2.2 is ALREADY flashed onto eris. a dev has already made this possibly and it works FINE. it has a lot of bugs and the likes since they just got this up and running about a week ago but that means that 2.2 DOES work on the eris so stop saying it doesnt support it and if verizon and htc decide to push it to us only time will tell. but if you google 2.2 for the eris you will find the ROM for it on the xda site and you can keep looking back to see when it will be running with no bugs.

Upvote 0
ok 2.2 is ALREADY flashed onto eris. a dev has already made this possibly and it works FINE. it has a lot of bugs and the likes since they just got this up and running about a week ago but that means that 2.2 DOES work on the eris so stop saying it doesnt support it and if verizon and htc decide to push it to us only time will tell. but if you google 2.2 for the eris you will find the ROM for it on the xda site and you can keep looking back to see when it will be running with no bugs.

I think the problem is Sense. None of the 2.2 ROMs have been compatible with Sense so far. They have to be vanilla Android. Theoretically HTC will have to create a 2.2-compatible Sense for the Incredible, though, since that's a Sense phone released in 2010.

Upvote 0

They haven't given any answers. They put out a fairly standard non-committal P.R. quote. Until they put out a definitive list, it's all speculation at this point. Either way, it's too soon to really tell if the Eris is going to get updated or not.

Upvote 0
Sorry if you don't like the answers you're given. I guess I could make a post, claim I e-mailed HTC about future Android updates, and make up an answer that I say is from them. Hehe, I could say something like "customers will be able to receive free CPU upgrades and that HTC will support our phones with future Android updates forever". Would that make you happy ?

Haha, i have no problem with the answers my fellow forum members are giving me. I realize what HTC is doing, doesn't make it any less right on there part.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones