• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android Auto update has no ETA, alternate routes

rogerl50

Aug 17, 2015
I have an Audi A4, and a Pixel 6 running Android 13. The most recent update to Android auto appears to no longer show me ETA, nor the alternate routes button. Here is a screenshot:
PXL_20230930_191400662.jpg

What's going on here? (As a second question, what is the lower left icon, the thing that looks like four outward-pointing arrows?)

I had no alternate routes for years with standard Google Maps. A few years ago, I visited a park in Indiana, around 50 miles from my home. All roads clear. When I made my return trip, however, the only road back that I knew was closed, without any detour marked. Struggling to find a route via Google was no help, as she said 'Owensboro KY is possible via IN161, which is closed right now'. she offered zero alternate route. I ended up having to use a freaking compass and try any roads, mainly gravel farm roads, to find another that set me back a few miles, but on KY 60, which leads back to Owensboro. In the end, a compass, something that has been around since the 1400s, saved my butt, while the 'modern' approach failed miserably.

TL;DR, I don't trust Android Auto or most modern tech that depends so heavily on 'updates'. Some of which take important stuff away.

My own tip, always have a vintage solution to each problem. For me, at least, the look of a well-made compass or '60s stereo system not only has more character than a boring old soundbar or smartphone, but is more fun to use, you learn by using it, and to me the stereo from the '60s sounds better than a tinny little soundbar.

Upvote 0
Each vehicle is different. I know my Ridgeline has an entirely different UX than some posted here. However I have not used Maps since the compass incident. If anything it solidified using paper maps.
I have my paper maps as well. I generally know where I'm going, but I do like to see alternate route suggestions so I can decide based on traffic. Not having ETA is bad, however.

Reactions: AugieTN
Upvote 0
i have a standalone GPS when I need it, that doesn't need the internet for any of that. ETA is a built in feature. Garmin Nuvi from 2013. Out of date but still knows where it's going. Still finds the best route in Winston Salem to my girlfriend, when Google would often pick the worst, most dangerous highway of racers just to shave 3 minutes.

there are a lot of things where the internet just doesn't belong and has cloud-based issues like missing your ETA for a while. guarantee it was some server side bug. GPS doesn't need internet, one's toaster doesn't need wifi. we need to stop putting tech where tech doesn't belong. you shoud see what battery chargers have become. Too many points of failure where simplicity and minimalism actually fits better.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones