• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Android changing name of app

A

Android Question

I have an app say for eg: appA. Now I downloaded it from Plays tore and I am going to install it. While intalling it may ask my Location. Say for eg: I am selecting Location1. Based on the user input, the name of appA, which I am installing, has to be changed to appA-Location1.

Now I am going to download the app for another location say Location2. This time without effecting my previous download the app has to be installed as appA-Location2.

Is it possible in android development? Please help me.

If you're asking can an app be install with a different name (or even different package name) at installation time, then the answer is no, it cannot.

Might be able to get an custom launcher to allow you to rename what an app's icon is called when displayed on the screen, but that won't really change the name of the app or it's package name.

You also can't install the same app (that has the same package name) more than once on a device (unless / except the by-user provision, but I don't think that's what you're asking).

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
If you're asking can an app be install with a different name (or even different package name) at installation time, then the answer is no, it cannot.

Might be able to get an custom launcher to allow you to rename what an app's icon is called when displayed on the screen, but that won't really change the name of the app or it's package name.

You also can't install the same app (that has the same package name) more than once on a device (unless / except the by-user provision, but I don't think that's what you're asking).

Thanks for your reply. I guess, I have to do little more R&D on wats the APK installation process, Is there any role in Manifest, Can we change the manifest..etc..etc...

Upvote 0
Just out of curiosity, why is it you are asking to do this? If it is you just want to have two apps running two accounts, you can use the separate user modes. Or even 2 backups in TB Pro if rooted.
I assume though you are asking more into the tinkering side of the apps and I am just not seeing what the benefit would be or understanding the question. Scary probably has the best suggestion in this case.

Upvote 0
+1 @SavageRobot...

Also, I'm still a bit confused about what exactly "location" is (in the way the OP referenced it in the first post)?

The key/crux to this process is that/how the Play Store (or actually the package installation manager on your device) will install the app on your Android device--you have basically no control or ability to change that.

An app is built with a name and a package name. The package name is unique across ALL apps in the Play Store and on your device. An app gets installed with the name and package name as it has/exists in the Play Store--you can't have two apps with the same package name.

Upvote 0
Just out of curiosity, why is it you are asking to do this? If it is you just want to have two apps running two accounts, you can use the separate user modes. Or even 2 backups in TB Pro if rooted.
I assume though you are asking more into the tinkering side of the apps and I am just not seeing what the benefit would be or understanding the question. Scary probably has the best suggestion in this case.
Thanks Savage for your comment. It seems like Android development little far from idea realisation. May be Google monopoly is the reason. We are developing a system for local government bodies. There are hundreds of them but once a single framework is ready it will do for all. Thinking that way one thing came to our mind is like during the installation time one popup will appear and user can opt for the required local body name, according to that the app name and certain unique custom features has to change. I hope your curiosity ends now..:)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones