• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Android Dev vs Java Desktop Dev

Hie guys I am a complete newbie to android. I want to start learning android but would just like a better understanding of the platform before I throw myself in.

I can already programme in Java, C++, Python, PHP and Pearl. However, Java is my area of expertise.

My question is how does Java desktop development compare with Android development? Are there things you can do in Android that you could not do in Java traditional development, or the other way round (thing you can do in tradition Java but not on android)

Are there any bottlenecks that get on your nerves or things that are more difficult on android. What about time, is it faster or slower developing for android?

I am not a script kiddie so I would prefer responses that are technical rather than something general like simply saying "android is slower."

I really just want to get a feel of this so please just throw in your experiences and thoughts, I would be ever so grateful.

Many thanks in advance for you help.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones