• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Android - ELM327 OBDII Dongle Bluetooth Connection

MrAlt

Lurker
Feb 3, 2012
Hello All,

I am working on an application to connect to an ELM327 OBDII bluetooth dongle. My main problem is that I am trying to use the BluetoothChat example from the developers website, and I cannot get the device to connect. I have gotten it to connect with other applications, ELM327 Terminal, and torque, but cannot get my own to connect, any suggestions?

MrAlt and fabioolp,
I am connecting n7 with cheap chinesse dongle (10 bucks in Ebay) using Torque Pro.It looks to work well. At the begining when I didnt know the elm327 and I was trying to hook up the system, elm327 lost bluetooth connection with n7 and pc, When they scanned didnt see it. My solution was to turn off the car key and pull the elm327 from the socket, wait a minute and connected it back , turn on the car key and scan again and everything began to work ok.,n7 and laptop scanned and saw the dongle. I did the pairing with the car key on but not running the car engine. Remember that first thing that you must do in n7 sett ings is to turn blutooth on, check that n7 sees the dongle and pair it, in my case the password is 1234. After that you must go to the program, in my case (torque pro) I must open torque go to torque setting and again allow the comunication with the elm327, I dont know in your case.
You must be very carefull about your dongle , because I have read in others forums that the chinesses are selling clones that doesnt work at all . I tried to connect with my laptop using scantool_net113win and I coudnt, I think because I need connection with internet and didnt have it. I didnt try more with scantool_net113win, because the free option doesnt give all the options in real time that you get with the Torque Pro that are the ones that I really want and the scantool_net113win is expensive.
Hope that help you out

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones