• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android Forums is now blocked in China.

Is AF on shared hosting or on its own IP address and server?

Does AF use CloudFlare?

Something in P&CA triggered the Chinese censoring?

@Phases & @Rob, I think this might need your attention.
I think China didn't ban AF but the other way around.

If you are accessing AF from an IP address that has been blacklisted, you can't access the site because the server won't let you in.

Do you someone located in different city in China who could help you to make a test ? Give that person the link to AF to see if he / she can see the site.

Reactions: Bg260 and mikedt
Upvote 0
I think China didn't ban AF but the other way around.

If only @Rob was that influential. ;)

If you are accessing AF from an IP address that has been blacklisted, you can't access the site because the server won't let you in.

No such IPs have been blocked recently afaics. It's possible that a block of addresses have made it onto one of the centralised blacklists that is used by AF for routine anti-spam checking, if this is implemented; maybe the [USERGROUP=3]@Administrative[/USERGROUP] staff can answer that?

Do you someone located in different city in China who could help you to make a test ?

As various wifi and cellular services have been tried with no success, I suspect the reason is more complex than a simple IP ban.

Upvote 0
Couldn't get AF at all last night except through my VPN. However this morning I can access it via cellular 4G with China Unicom. However still inaccessible via the home network, which is China Telecom cable Internet. And this is both using a browser and Tapatalk. When a site is blocked by the GFW, usually it either doesn't load at all, nothing is responding, AF is doing this, or there's an immediate connection reset and "page cannot be displayed" message, Facebook, Google, Amnesty International, etc. does this.

I'm sure if I was IP address banned by AF server, it would tell me wouldn't it. That's what some CloudFlare sites do, basically any IP address that originates from China, and sometimes Russia are automatically blacklisted, because of hacking attempts, spamming, etc.

I can't really use a VPN all the time, because it causes problems for the Chinese apps I use regularly, like Wechat can be very slow when it's in China, pinging the servers in China, while routed via the United States or Canada. Same with streaming music and videos from Chinese sites, things like QQ Music and Baidu Music..."Sorry, this service is only available in China", when I'm using the VPN.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bg260
Upvote 0
I can't really use a VPN all the time, because it causes problems for the Chinese apps I use regularly, like Wechat can be very slow when it's in China, pinging the servers in China, while routed via the United States or Canada. Same with streaming music and videos from Chinese sites, things like QQ Music and Baidu Music..."Sorry, this service is only available in China", when I'm using the VPN.

Perhaps overkill, but you could install a small machine on your network that connects to your VPN. Then simply add static routes on your machine (using the VPN host as a gateway) for AF and anything else that needs VPN access. Of course you can also use the VPN host as your default gateway and add static routes (using your router as a gateway) for anything within China. Choose whichever would result in the least static routes.

I just don't know how much admin work you are willing to do.

Regards,
Eric.

Upvote 0
Well, our hosting provider blocks some countries. Here are some blocked due to sanctions:

https://knowledgelayer.softlayer.com/faq/softlayer-network-wide-ip-blocking

If this is the cause they should be updating that soon.

If china or his range were blocked from AF, by me... yes he'd get to AF and see a banned message - if its a server or network style block he'd never make it this far.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones