• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android keyboard???

This is just weird.

An apk ought use services from Linux, but never downloads additional ones. Plus - they are supposed to be atomic, no reliance on code in other apks. (Despite carrier bloatware managing to do some really interesting things with shared memory, but that's another story.)

I wonder if your Dalvik cache is tangled and that's what is caused the crash?

Maybe time for Titanium Backup and a Dalvik clear?

Hey - before going to that extreme, it just hit me - at some point Google Translate wanted an updated voice service at some point - it prompted me for it and I downloaded it, it replaced whatever other voice service I had.

If it's trying to satisfy that same dependency on startup, a Translate update/install/voice-use might do the trick.

Worth a shot?

Upvote 0
The one that came with the phone doesn't have an update option. And I got rid of TMO visual voicemail. I use missed calls and got tired of spammers. Told TMO to turn off VM. I also don't have Google voice. Deleted it. Instructions on use were too confusing a year ago. I still do have it and the number in Google account on PC.

I cleaned the Dalvik cache, and I don't know what clear would do so I've never cleared it.. I do back up, so that- aside from messing with keyboards - should be current.

What I want is a keyboard where I can move the period, enter or delete key. They are all too close. I'd also love to have the arrow keys.

I did get rid of as much TMO crap as possible. Mostly stuff like Album, Visual Voicemail, etc. Any music downloaders. If I want to download an MP3, I use the Ubuntu desktop, then transfer.

I just looked at HK again, and it said it would work on the Coby 7024. Downloaded and it worked.

Therefore it's probably Samsung or Samsung Gingerbread update.although Market swears the Coby is a TMO device. (wifi only and Froyo 2.2)
Coby only has basic voice recorder anyway. Ain't the world's sexiest tablet, but I can get my Sci-fi fix from Feedbooks, and watch Superbowl 3.

Upvote 0
Might have to do that. Experimenting with keyboards all afternoon and AI type keyboard does the same as Hacker. Big Buttons and Super did download and work.

What kind of info about phone would developer want in particular?

Thanks for all your time and help.

Hey, my pleasure.

I find that most devs I've chatted with are pretty caring and will be happy for any details you can give. Maybe a synopsis and a link to this thread and then ask what else you can do to help debug?

Upvote 0
I did get an answer from the developer. I will be heading to his site to see if I can get the info he wants. If I have a problem, can you help explain?

Here's the text of the email:

Comment #1 on issue 144 by Klaus.We...@gmail.com: Will not run on Galaxy S 4G from TMobile.
Issue 144 - hackerskeyboard - Will not run on Galaxy S 4G from TMobile. - Hacker's Keyboard, a 5-row keyboard using full PC key layout for Android tablets or phones - Google Project Hosting

It does sound plausible that there's something confused on the phone, maybe the built-in keyboard isn't willing to relinquish control and spins in a loop.

Are you able to retrieve logs from the phone as a clue towards what's happening? You can use an app on the phone to do so or use USB with the "adb" developer tool, more here:
FrequentlyAskedQuestions - hackerskeyboard - Frequently Asked Questions - Hacker's Keyboard, a 5-row keyboard using full PC key layout for Android tablets or phones - Google Project Hosting.

Thanks again.

Upvote 0
You can use third-party tools such as the free aLogcat application to save and copy logs from your phone if needed. Alternatively, you can use "adb logcat" on your PC if you have the Android SDK and your system is set up for USB debugging. In either case, please verify that your logs don't contain sensitive information from other applications before sending them.

What kind of files do these save? It says edit out, so I hope they are txt or html. Something common that everything can read.
Any other caveats before I download aLogcat?

Thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones