• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android OS Battery Drain

karmac-

Try Juice Defender. It has sure done a nice job for me!

I also discovered that the wireless charger option I installed on my S5 (not the Samsung unit) was charging when on the charge-pad BUT discharging when not on the pad! I threw it away and bought the Samsung Wireless Charging Back, and all is well now! :)

Upvote 0
I'm new to the forum. Have had the S5 for a few months. Been pretty reliable and consistent, until Sept. 26th. I could usually go all day with anywhere from 65-85% remaining after 16 hours, unless I was doing a lot of travelling in poor reception areas.

I have a Samsung Network Extender in the house, no cell for miles otherwise, so, if I'm at home most of the day, it's wi-fi and cell at about 10 ft range. That gave me forever battery life, even with my defaults. BT, Wi-fi, sync, auto screen, messaging and email active. Since the .36GB force update, (which came thru on the network extender, eating my data plan, even tho it's tied into the same internet modem that's the wifi unit. Grrr.) But since that time, I've had battery hit 8% 0% tonite, 14% and so on. Used to be rare to hit 50%. The battery page for today shows Android OS at 54%, And. System at 18% Sasung push at 6%, screen 6%, and 5 other tasks at 2%. Never used to see the two Android up so high.

I'm pretty convinced that the update has a lot to do with this, as that's all that had changed. Even swapped out battery/cold start. Finally got rid of that stupid visual voice thing, which also popped up after the update.

I see that at least one other user has batt issues in late Sept. Couple apps were broken, xfinity connect and that voice thing. I deleted both and reinstalled, seemed to get them working again, at least, but they've never shown hi on the batt list. Do use location services with GPS mon and Waze, but they've never trashed the battery before. (2% waze, today.)

Anyone else noticed odd things since the update? Today's the first time my phone's actually died on me, after about 11 hours.

Anyway, thanks for 'listening'. Any further info I can provide, please ask. I've been repairing this kind of stuff since car phones had tubes in them, and a 20 minute talk session with the engine off meant a tow call... Li-ion batteries are close to magic, but even they can't do everything. I'm hoping I don't have to strap a car battery to this thing!

signing off, Dstuart

Upvote 0
i have a xperia c and i noticed that from some weeks my battery is decreasing day by day and when i tried to figure out that was causes this problem, i found that it's the android os which sucks this phone's battery so much about to 73 % which is not funny!
Please Help!!! Please Help!!!
Screenshot_2015-01-22-10-06-40.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
My phone just updated to LolliFLOP a couple days ago.

So far, I cannot tell that battery life is better or worse, and the way I use it has not changed at all... ie, when the Screen is Locked, the Radios are OFF. This allows for extremely long time spans between battery recharge cycles.

My wife's S5 will go about 14-15 days between charges... she only uses it as a telephone.

My S5 does about 2 or 3 days between charges...

Occasionally, if I am traveling away from home, and using the GPS a lot with CoPilot maps the battery will run down in about 6 or 8 hours... I bought a special dock to hold the phone and keep it on the car's power which helps a lot... but you have to keep the screen dark... if you don't the S5 gets really hot.

My signature tells the story.
MacroDroid can help extend battery life
MacroDroid senses Screen off, turns Wifi & Data OFF
MacroDroid senses Screen UnLock, turns Data ON
PureVPN when using a public WiFi

Upvote 0
My Galaxy S5 is a little over a year old, and usully went a couple of days between charges. For the last week or so, it doesn't make it for one day. I always close all apps when done, generally use the phone very little. Possibly related: Avast! installed come kind of magic battery saver recently, and I noticed much longer battery life for a while, but now it's gone in the toilet. Tonight, 11 hours after taking off the charger, remaining life was 9% and Android OS was responsible for 37% of the usage.

Upvote 0
My Galaxy S5 is a little over a year old, and usully went a couple of days between charges. For the last week or so, it doesn't make it for one day. I always close all apps when done, generally use the phone very little. Possibly related: Avast! installed come kind of magic battery saver recently, and I noticed much longer battery life for a while, but now it's gone in the toilet. Tonight, 11 hours after taking off the charger, remaining life was 9% and Android OS was responsible for 37% of the usage.

Do you use FaceBook, Messenger, Spotify or Instagram?

Upvote 0
I have three andriod devices all are experiencing rapid battery drain beyond their normal rate, all within the last two weeks. My Sony Z tablet is the most noticeable. I never charged it over the weekend and by Monday it would be at the most 75%, but the last weekend every morning I found it at less than 20% no different in usage no settings were changed.

Upvote 0
I turn off all services I don't need at any given time: bluetooth, location. Location is a HUGE battery zapper.
I then uninstalled Facebook and FB Messenger and my battery went from 24 hours to at least 48 hours.
If you install Greenify you'l see what apps are constantly running and can setup Greenify to kill them automatically. People say you don't need to do this as Android kills off what shouldn't be running but it does not do a great job.
It also showed that no matter what you do FB and FB Messenger cannot be killed, or rather they start themselves right back up again. Not blaming FB entirely (maybe I am) but Greenify will show you what's always running.

Upvote 0
I turn off all services I don't need at any given time: bluetooth, location. Location is a HUGE battery zapper.
I then uninstalled Facebook and FB Messenger

Location hardly shows up for me but there again, I don't use FaceBook or Messenger which both use location continually... hence the exaggerated usage for location. You should find that Android OS goes down when you turn that two apps off.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones