• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android phone to replace iPod. (Good music quality)

No issues with a Nexus S here on stock Gingerbread. Hmm, still wondering whether I want to upgrade to ICS. Kinda don't want to lose USB Mass Storage support. MTP just doesn't work as well.

I'd do it. However I never tried Gingerbread. The day I got it I rooted and chucked on CM9. So I never got to try it, but I LOVE ICS. But its all about personal opinion don't you think?

Upvote 0
I'd do it. However I never tried Gingerbread. The day I got it I rooted and chucked on CM9. So I never got to try it, but I LOVE ICS. But its all about personal opinion don't you think?
I love ICS - on my HP TouchPad with dual-core 1.2GHz CPU and 1GB RAM that is. Really fast and smooth. Works a lot, lot better than webOS or CM7 (at least on the TouchPad's hardware). The MTP thing is mighty annoying though and given the lack of microSD, would cause me a ton of headaches on the Nexus S (for reasons too long to explain). Tempted to buy a Samsung Captivate for cheap to root and install ICS on but I think I'll just wait for dual-core phones (used or new) to drop to $300~350 off-contract. With people upgrading to quad-cores, should only be a few months now. :)

As you said though, vive la difference.

Upvote 0
No issues with a Nexus S here on stock Gingerbread. Hmm, still wondering whether I want to upgrade to ICS. Kinda don't want to lose USB Mass Storage support. MTP just doesn't work as well.

I dunno. I actually like MTP much more than USB Mass Storage. Losing access to the SD card partition when it was mounted was a huge pain. I hated having to select Mount, I hated losing access to data SD card (including certain apps) and I hated the inconvenience of waiting for "preparing to mount storage". So much so, that I avoided it if possible. I like being able to plug my phone into the computer and its immediately ready for file transfer. Only annoying thing is waiting for the file list for a couple seconds.

I mean, my Nexus doesn't mount in Windows 95 anymore, but I guess that's a price I'm willing to take.

Upvote 0
I dunno. I actually like MTP much more than USB Mass Storage. Losing access to the SD card partition when it was mounted was a huge pain. I hated having to select Mount, I hated losing access to data SD card (including certain apps) and I hated the inconvenience of waiting for "preparing to mount storage". So much so, that I avoided it if possible. I like being able to plug my phone into the computer and its immediately ready for file transfer. Only annoying thing is waiting for the file list for a couple seconds.

I mean, my Nexus doesn't mount in Windows 95 anymore, but I guess that's a price I'm willing to take.

No offence here, but you are actually the first person I have ever met to like MTP over USB Mass Storage. MTP is really slow and buggy (when I say slow I mean really slooooowwww, a few hundred kb/s is expected, as compared to 10 MB/s on my class 10 microSD card). Don't even think about copying a few gigabytes of movies and music to your phone, it is practically impossible (waiting a few hours for that transfer process is a big no no, and half way it will crash). My friend was so frustrated with that stupid MTP that he sold his Xperia S. Seriously, even syncing on iOS makes better sense than MTP.

Upvote 0
No offence here, but you are actually the first person I have ever met to like MTP over USB Mass Storage. MTP is really slow and buggy (when I say slow I mean really slooooowwww, a few hundred kb/s is expected, as compared to 10 MB/s on my class 10 microSD card). Don't even think about copying a few gigabytes of movies and music to your phone, it is practically impossible (waiting a few hours for that transfer process is a big no no, and half way it will crash). My friend was so frustrated with that stupid MTP that he sold his Xperia S. Seriously, even syncing on iOS makes better sense than MTP.

Hm, that's odd. I transferred a 720p version of the Matrix to my phone in about 5-7 minutes which was about 2 GB.

Yeah just tried it. 1 GB took about 1 minute 40 seconds. Methinks something was wrong with his PC (either that or MTP on the Xperia S was pretty crap). Works fine on my Nexus.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones