• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android tablets=fail

VisionMobile :: blog :: Is Android Evil?

Try reading that for starters. Anything not directly approved by Google will not feature most of its services including the Android market. Need more proof, try Googling Android market on tablets.

You do realize, this has nothing to do with tablets... don't you?

Also, Google has a vested interest in not allowing handsets with horrible implementations of android. A little quality control on the handset side, is not a fault of Google.

Now, if you can show me where they've locked someone out of Android for reasons other than Quality, then we'll talk.

Upvote 0
This thread is about the failure of ANDROID tablets to run the ANDROID market, not a thread about iPad vs netbook. Please stay on topic :) So which one of you are gonna line up to buy an Android tablet when you cant access the market? Anyone?

You don't think Google has worked up a version of Android to run on Tablets?

You think HP has worked up an Android Tablet without market support?

You're either naive, or blind. I don't know which.

Upvote 0
You don't think Google has worked up a version of Android to run on Tablets?

You think HP has worked up an Android Tablet without market support?

You're either naive, or blind. I don't know which.

Where is it then? Shouldnt it be out by now? Or were all these companies waiting for the iPad to be released and then try to take ideas from it as they have done with the iPhone?

Upvote 0
Where is it then? Oh yea. As usual, they are waiting for Apple to release their device and then trying to copy it or at least most of its features. I like Google and Android and would for sure buy a tablet from them but its pretty obvious they are playing follow the leader on this one as with the iPhone. Copied alot of it (hence the Apple lawsuit) and then improved upon it. We'll see

look just because it say apple on it doesn't mean it's the best and we all know most of the features been out before apple decided to add the phone features to their ipod.Apple as a brand is well establish so many going to be drawn to them,the issue i have with alot of iphone users not all but some they act real arrogant and when face with another product that is better or just as good, they either shut up or they like to point out i have a app for this.
and yes i own a macbook but i can honestly say i like it but i don't love it and it's way over price for what you can get with a pc that offer more for less the cost..

Upvote 0
So with android being open source and all I found an .apk of the android market and instaled it on my Archos 5 android tablet. So I have a "with Google" tablet. Gmail, maps, talk, market, and all. I didn't have to root either. just a simple instal.

Just saying

Unless something changed, that workaround doesnt allow for access to protected apps in the market, thus making it pretty much useless.

Upvote 0
Neither does the leaked version of 2.1 for my eris but I haven't lost sleep over it. Name some apps that are protected and I can confirm if this is true.

I have been able to download and use many apps. Not having protected apps had not made it useless, it is not even noticeable

try downloading some you cant get on your leaked version of 2.1

BTW, I dont consider the Archos 5 a true tablet at 5 inches. Its just an oversized phone that doesnt make calls basically. Just like the iPad is a big iPhone right? :)

Upvote 0

BTW, I dont consider the Archos 5 a true tablet at 5 inches. Its just an oversized phone that doesnt make calls basically. Just like the iPad is a big iPhone right? :)

good thing you don't decide what is and isn't a tablet. If it didn't have am apple logo it, you'd fail it.

Upvote 0
Where is it then? Shouldnt it be out by now? Or were all these companies waiting for the iPad to be released and then try to take ideas from it as they have done with the iPhone?

You do realize that the Android OS was being designed before Apple started working on the iPhone OS...

that's one reason that the Android OS was such a full OS when it was released, instead of a crippled OS, like the iPhone OS.

The iPhone OS was released with many standard features (even for non-smartphones) missing (MMS anyone). Sure they eventually caught up with some of these features. However, Google's updates to the Android OS have been about bettering the OS, not about adding features that other phones have had since the beginning.

Short of the story, Google does things right the first time. Not release a product, and then make it what it should've been... later (multitasking for the iPad anyone...?)

Reactions: IOWA
Upvote 0
Unless something changed, that workaround doesnt allow for access to protected apps in the market, thus making it pretty much useless.

Ok let's compare

Google:If you install a custom rom you can not get protected apps.

Apple: If you stay with Apple, you can not get apps that they say you can't. If you install a custom rom, you can install all apps, but Apple actively tries to break your phone.

Yep... let's compare that one.

Reactions: IOWA
Upvote 0

How about Freescales tablet? The one that was announced before the iPad was announced. How about all the tablets that were demoed in January?

The iPad isn't revolutionary... it's just Apple. Same stuff, but with an Apple logo.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones