• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Annoying Message "Prevention Information"

Mine is UBMJ1... how can I get those updates?
If you're not getting the Over the Air (OTA) updates download KIES 3 on your computer and hook up your Note 3. When you connect your phone or tablet to Kies via a USB cable, you will be automatically notified of any available software updates for your device.

Reactions: syook
Upvote 0
Gotcha.

That's also the version Verizon sent out in its update last week.

Now we just need to find out what version those that still have the error are running.

Here you are, dial *#1234# from the dialler to get this :

Screenshot_2013-11-12-08-34-10_zpsfe94c976.png

Upvote 0
Just to clear something up. Here in the UK we only have the Note 3 SM-N9005 (Qualcom) as far as I know all international Note 3s (which mine and everyone sold in the UK is) are not carrier locked. I can pop in any UK carriers SIM and it will work. If you get your Note 3 via a carrier it usually comes with added carrier bloatware. For instance my CSC has the letters VF (for Vodafone) GB (Great Britain) because I got mine "free" with a 24 month contract, and it has their version of the firmware on it. Apart from the extra bloat and waiting longer for my carrier to add their bloat to new firmware it operates exactly like one bought from Samsung.

I understand in the US there are different versions of the Note 3. All the versions look the same but yours are different to an international version, are SIM locked to your carriers and not all are LTE (4G) capable.

We appear to have all versions of the Note 3 having this "bug", probably because Knox is identical on all phones. I suspect that if you have the problem/bug mentioned it matters not who your carrier is, what model Note 3 you have, or what firmware you are running.

It would be interesting to know if you have the bug, then recieve an update and the bug dissapears exactly what *#1234# produces (a screen shot us ideal, but not essential), and what model you have.

Upvote 0
Just to clear something up. Here in the UK we only have the Note 3 SM-N9005 (Qualcom) as far as I know all international Note 3s (which mine and everyone sold in the UK is) are not carrier locked. I can pop in any UK carriers SIM and it will work.

Hmm.

Are you sure that is true? It's rather surprising if it is and they certainly don't do that with iPhones. They don't bother locking feature phones or cheaper any more. But a Note 3?

You think you can go to Paris and put a French SIM in your UK carrier Note 3? Or a competing UK network?

I don't necessarily disbelieve you but have you tried it? (I can't try it as mine came from Samsung.)

Upvote 0
Hmm.

Are you sure that is true? It's rather surprising if it is and they certainly don't do that with iPhones. They don't bother locking feature phones or cheaper any more. But a Note 3?

You think you can go to Paris and put a French SIM in your UK carrier Note 3? Or a competing UK network?

I don't necessarily disbelieve you but have you tried it? (I can't try it as mine came from Samsung.)

Yep I have my contract SIM with Vodafone, a Tesco mobile SIM (O2 network) a T-mobile SIM and an Orange SIM all work (never tried a '3' SIM).

Vodafone I know for sure don't SIM lock and haven't done for years. The last contract phone I had off of them that was SIM locked was my Nokia N95, and they changed policy half way through my contract. I called them and got the unlock code from them for free. I've never had a SIM locked phone from them since. I belive it is the same for all networks in the UK. Now as for a French SIM, I wouldn't know, I know the Note 3 is supposed to be region locked to stop "grey" imports but I would imagine it would work.

Phones in the UK are nearly always carrier branded but not locked. The exception is to buy a contact from an independent like Phones4U or Car Phone Warehouse, from them you'll get a stock unbranded device.

Upvote 0
I'm on Sprint and received a notification of an automatic installation of a Security Update over the Veteran's Day weekend.

Have not had that "Prevention..." notification since.

Build No. ...PUBMJ4

I received the same notification last night. I figured I'll give it a few days to see if that fixes this annoying message I'm getting as well. I'm on Sprint and also have MJ4.

dave

Upvote 0
I have one Note 3 from AT&T and one from T-Mobile. When going into Settings / General / App Mgr / KNOX, Uninstall is greyed out.

So I selected the option to download it, Install it, then set it up. Once completed now the Uninstall choice was available. Next I selected Uninstall and followed Samsung's directions precisely. The result? While it was uninstalled it still appears as before in the list of apps and the error message persists.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind we will have to wait for Samsung to fix this.

Knox is part of the firmware and hardware. You downloaded the application to make it work as a "device within a device", the knox application, and then uninstalled it. Knox, the inbuilt security is still there and cannot be removed. Tap on the Knox shield in the apps drawer and it will want to download and install it's app again.

Knox is much, much more than an app you can unistall and forget about I'm afraid.

Upvote 0
Knox is part of the firmware and hardware. You downloaded the application to make it work as a "device within a device", the knox application, and then uninstalled it. Knox, the inbuilt security is still there and cannot be removed. Tap on the Knox shield in the apps drawer and it will want to download and install it's app again.

Knox is much, much more than an app you can unistall and forget about I'm afraid.

You've brought up a very good point. Since my last post I have done further research which confirms your assessment.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones