• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Another Bluetooth Thread - Flaky Bluetooth Operation and Performance

monkeyfunky

Lurker
Nov 26, 2011
Although I'm in Canada and on the Telus Network it's the same phone as T-Mobile and since Bluetooth is the issue I thought this would be the right place. My previous phone was an LG something or rather (not too important as it worked) and my wife had a Blackberry 8830. Both phones worked with our in-car bluetooth (Mazda 5). Ever since we got our Samsung phones Bluetooth has been flaky and unreliable. I got them both paired to the Mazda and mine paired to my computer so pairing is not the issue.

When connected in the car it will stay paired for 30 - 60 seconds then it will just drop the pairing. Sometimes it won't even pair and will require a reboot. This morning I tried to just turn the bluetooth on to pair with my PC and it wouldn't even turn on until I rebooted.

Considering most places now have laws against cell phone use and driving I don't think rebooting my phone on the highway to get bluetooth is an option.

Any help is greatly appreciated and I would've called Telus but 1. the support dept is closed today and 2. I don't think they will be able to help other than telling me to reboot.

When I read the thread title I thought it would be the same problem as me. We have similar, but slightly different issues. My SIIX is paired and stays paired, but if I turn off Bluetooth (when I go see a client) and turn it back on when getting back into my car, sometimes it just won't do it and I need to reboot the phone. I have also noticed poor (choppy) sound during some calls. I don't believe it is the network as the call without BT is fine. EDIT: This same Motorola BT710 worked with no issues with my previous phone.

If you get any news from Telus, let me know, and if there are other Telus users (or even T-Mobile), that have similar issues, it would be nice to have you post them here to use as a tool when calling Telus or T-Mobile support.

Upvote 0
Hey Monkey, I have the exact same problem as you. I was an iphone user and bluetooth works seamlessly between my car and the iphone.

I love my S2x but it's having a smiliar problem as you. It pairs with my car but it seems bluetooth becomes unavailable after a while. The person I am talking to can be still on the line but the connectivity can be lost.

When I try to turn bluetooth back on under setting, it wouldn't turn on.

I really don't want to root the phone as I am happy with it the way it is now. Hopefully, the ICS update will fix this problem.

Upvote 0
When I read the thread title I thought it would be the same problem as me. We have similar, but slightly different issues. My SIIX is paired and stays paired, but if I turn off Bluetooth (when I go see a client) and turn it back on when getting back into my car, sometimes it just won't do it and I need to reboot the phone. I have also noticed poor (choppy) sound during some calls. I don't believe it is the network as the call without BT is fine. EDIT: This same Motorola BT710 worked with no issues with my previous phone.

If you get any news from Telus, let me know, and if there are other Telus users (or even T-Mobile), that have similar issues, it would be nice to have you post them here to use as a tool when calling Telus or T-Mobile support.
You only get one bluetooth connection per re-boot & that re-boot means removing the battery. I can't believe this is par for the course for a flagship Android. My 6 year old Symbian can handle the simple tech that is bluetooth. The phone can't even get my album art right. Find it hard to believe that Androids are so popular with all the inconsistencies & glitches

Upvote 0
You only get one bluetooth connection per re-boot & that re-boot means removing the battery. I can't believe this is par for the course for a flagship Android. My 6 year old Symbian can handle the simple tech that is bluetooth. The phone can't even get my album art right. Find it hard to believe that Androids are so popular with all the inconsistencies & glitches

That's not really a fair comment. My iphone 4s had lots of issues with bluetooth pairing on my headset and car. Yet, it remains a very popular phone.

Not everyone will have bluetooth issues-I don't with my S2. It depends on a variety of factors and you can't just blame the device. :(

As for album art, there a ton of great music apps that do a lot better job at cataloguing music and art than the stock one. That's why I love Android-you get choice

Upvote 0
I have the same problems that both monkeyfunky and Xerses have. Here's a post I just made on it in the S2 international forum. I guess I should have posted it here:

My problem with my t-mobile galaxy s2 is that 50 percent of the time it won't auto connect to my factory stereo on my 2004 Acura TL. I'm certain it's not the stereo. My Nexus One worked flawlessly with it.

What's really frustrating, is when it doesn't auto connect, I usually can't force the connection. In fact, when I try to turn bluetooth off and back on, it won't turn back on! I have to reboot the phone to get everything to work... Errrr!!! All this messing around with the phone while I'm driving defeats one of the main reasons for bluetooth... safety.

I really hate this. Everything else on my phone works great, but having a good bluetooth connection in my car is probably the most important feature on a phone that I need to work.
Oh yeah, one more thing... like others, my BT connection will often drop about 60 seconds after it connects.

I really hope this is something Samsung is aware of and can fix with an update.

Upvote 0
I just got the Galaxy 2 phone from TMobile and I love the phone but the contacts will not show up in my car (2011 Hyundai Sonata). I've spoken to the dealer about the problem and they say it's not the car. I've spoken to tech support at both TMobile and Samsung but to no good. So if anyone got any ideas, I would love to hear them. That BT system in the car is the most important thing to me.

Upvote 0
I've been having the same problem with my TMo Galaxy S2 acting flaky when connected to my Lexus audio system but I believe I finally resolved it.

The issue seems to be related to another poorly written bloatware by TMo or Samsung.
As my Nexus One didn't ever have issues with Bluetooth I compared all running services using Titanium Backup (it does require your phone to be rooted). Nexus one had only one running service (Bluetooth Share 2.3.6 ) while ATT had 6: Bluetooth PBAP 2.3.6, Bluetooth Share 2.3.6, BluetoothAvrcp 2.3.6, BluetoothTest 1.0, BrcmBluetoothServices 2.3.6). I froze all Bluetooth services but Bluetooth Share 2.3.6 and I haven't had any issues since then (which is about a week, hence I felt confident to report back on this thread).

Upvote 0
Aww man, I'm having this exact same problem with the bluetooth on my S2X, and from all the posts I was hoping that at least one would have a solution :(.

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to installed a modded kernel or upgrade to ICS to try and fix this.
I have stopped looking into this issue on my SIIX since (A) the problem has mysteriously diminished in frequncy and (B) ICS is scheduled for early June according to Telus.

See my post about it here.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones