• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root (Answered) Keyboard choice automatically resets

PowerBomb

Android Enthusiast
Jul 7, 2010
Chicago
I've got the Gingerbread and Android keyboard that came from either 2.2 or Velocity, and then I still have an old APK for a keyboard called Shapewriter that was basically a Swype clone that I always liked using. Never had this problem until the most recent updates to my phone, but now when I uncheck Gingerbread and Android keyboards in the settings menu, select ShapeWriter, and then choose it as my Input Method in the text message settings, within a half hour or so, the Gingerbread keyboard is back to popping up instead of the one I want. I'd hate to have to uninstall the other keyboards, I'd just like them to stay turned off as I set it. ShapeWriter doesn't have any problems running, it still works perfectly fine and doesn't force close or anything, so I dunno why the phone would have a problem with it or if it's just something about the Gingerbread keyboard that overrides it or what.

+1 to fullhouse233. This problem happens with a lot of apps if they're installed on your sd card. Basically, if the app has a widget or a background service, or if it integrates with android settings (keyboards, sync, defaults, etc), it won't work right from the sd card.

This caused me some problems with SwiftKey as my keyboard, and with Facebook settings. Facebook won't reliably give you push notifications if it's on the sd card, plus the contact sync settings get reset on every reboot (or just every so often... not sure).

Also, if an app you've chosen as a default is on the sd card, it will typically forget that you set it as default and ask again.

Reactions: PowerBomb
Upvote 0
I have both Swype and Swiftkey installed on my phone (not SD card) and this still happens. It defaults back to the Gingerbread keyboard (I'm running Velocity 1). It doesn't happen every hour but usually at least once a day. I did move dalvic to SD and it may be happening more since then but I know it happened before that too.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones