• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
I installed lookout security quickly after reading this thread. I'm wondering if the green lookout icon is set to stay on the top notification by default. Doesn't bother me just hope it doesnt drain my battery if it were running in the background.

it uses no battery at all i think its the equivalent of a 30 second phone call in a full days use

Upvote 0
Looks like the point in time for which it is needed has come. Just installed Lookout upon reading this (even tho I have 2.2.2 on my phone and this particular exploit can not potentially impact me).

Regardless, this is somewhat scary- Google Pulls 21 Malware Apps Posing as Bogus Versions of Real Apps | Android Phone Fans

What I am curious of is if you were one of the unlucky users to download one of these apps, or the other bunch that lookout reported earlier does Google notify you, or force the uninstall of the app from your phone? Or is it the users responsibility to check and if they have downloaded that app remove it themselves? I would think Google would have some sort of notification process even if just a gmail to the users that downloaded the removed app(s).

I am carefully weighting the idea of trying lookout, I just don't want my battery life to suffer for something that I am not quite sure is absolutely needed.

Upvote 0
Nah I wasn't affected, just the scare of these apps making it into the marketplace had me worried. Honestly, I don't think the battery usage is much to worry about (at least I couldn't notice any difference) but it can eat memory (my Liquid is only 256MB of RAM an Android 2.2.2 and I could notice apps running slow causing me to uninstall it). But a monster like the Inspire with 768MB of RAM, it should be smooth. Hopefully Norton or somebody releases their antivirus software soon.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones