• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root any good stock froyo rom

Well that depends on what you want. Go over to XDA and look through the development section. If you want to get rid of Sense completely then CM6.1 is the way to go. With that said Since CM is an AOSP rom, 4G and HDMI do not work. If you want those then Vealpak is a good rom. It is considered Senseless, meaning it has most of the sense taken out but it is still built on top of sense. Like I said just cruise over to XDA and try some out. If you don't like then move to another! :)

Heres the link to XDA
EVO 4G Android Development - xda-developers

Upvote 0
If you're just talking about the sense launcher, you can use a different launcher like Launcherpro or ADW without switching roms.

If you mean you don't want sense in general, or as little as possible, you can find a comprehensive list of all Evo roms here:

HTC Supersonic/ROMs - XDA-Developers

You have two choices - go with a "senseless" sense rom, which is basically a sense based rom, but with as much AOSP added to it as possible. The reason to do this is to keep 4g and hdmi. In addition to any sense based rom, you can use calkulin's mod to remove the sense launcher, found here:

[ Mods ][ 11-3 ] Calkulin's Mods & Fixes for the EVO [MMS l USB Tether l Reboot Mod] - xda-developers

Your second option is to install a completely AOSP based rom, such as Cyanogenmod. While sense is not included at all, you will not be able to use 4g or hdmi.

Personally, I don't like sense much either. I'm running myn's warm with launcherpro and the sense launcher removed. It's sense based, so I still have 4g. It's pretty optomized too, so it's faster than the stock rom.

EDIT: wrapkgb beat me to it :)

Upvote 0
You should try out Vaelpak, then, as wrapkgb suggested. You will have the AOSP browser and it comes default with Launcherpro, I believe. I'm not sure the if the sense launcher is still there, but if it is, you can remove it with the mod I linked to earlier. Since it's still sense-based, you won't lose 4g. Give CM 6.1 a shot too to see if you like it.

EDIT: I just read the through the Vaelpak OP. It comes with Launcherpro and ADW, so you can chose whichever you like, and Sense UI and the Sense widgets have all been removed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones