• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any (Physical) Problems With Your Evos?

I have to admit that I'm fairly shocked at the level of tolerance that many of you have. I wouldn't hesitate to replace a phone with some of the problems listed here.

And, I'm impressed! I commend you all for being patient and for realizing that a case, or a piece of tape, or a little denial, make all of these issues not as glaring. If everything else works and there is no danger from the loose back or "T" falling off, then . . . it might just be okay.

I belonged to a BB forum for many years and the level of irritability over at that place was intense. A cricked this and a squeaky that. Take the phone apart and put this here, gum will solve this squeak, electrical tape will fix that thing. Didn't seem to bother them that they were exposing fragile phone innards in the process. Oh yes, and the white dots? They are some kind of safety dot thing that tells repair and warranty people if the phone had been opened. On that forum, they even had a plan for foiling the white dot deal. . . oh my.

I appreciate the patience of this forum as well as the deman for excellence. Some of the phone quality issues are not acceptable and should be fixed or replaced. I appreciate that most folks here can tell the diff.

Upvote 0
i had white spot in the middle of my screen (backlight shining through) and the rear speaker blew. i had best buys service repair it.

hardware 002 and everything else has been great.

wait, i also get crackling through the ear piece now.

Search for "B-Spot" on here. It's a hot spot that is usually found on the letter B on the standard keyboard.

I am currently on my third screen (replaced twice) due to this. I have the $7/month hardware protection plan so it was replaced for free both times. Just a fyi... part of the replaced screen is the whole front piece, including the volume rocker and power button... the whole glossy part... so if you have scratches those get replaced, too. :D

Upvote 0
Search for "B-Spot" on here. It's a hot spot that is usually found on the letter B on the standard keyboard.

I am currently on my third screen (replaced twice) due to this. I have the $7/month hardware protection plan so it was replaced for free both times. Just a fyi... part of the replaced screen is the whole front piece, including the volume rocker and power button... the whole glossy part... so if you have scratches those get replaced, too. :D

WTF I can't seem to get one of these replaced, as local stores keep claiming they are on Back Order.

Upvote 0
My wife dropped her EVO on our garage floor and shattered her screen... easy replacement thanks to warranty.

Mine has the b-spot problem, I'm on my second speaker, I've had the lens on the camera replaced (got a crack right down the middle), and I've got a bunch of dust in the top left corner. Sprint store wouldn't clean the dust for free, so I'm going to make them replace the screen for the b-spot issue.

Upvote 0
Have had my Evo for months now, only broke the screen once.

It fell out of my lap getting out of the car and onto to concrete. It hit right on the corner of the phone and cracked. Then later the same night it fell out of my hoodie pocket as I was going up the stairs to my apt. It actually fell through the stairs and down to the bottom floor and the screen SHATTERED. I thought I was gonna cry :p

Got it fixed for free. Now my only problem is charging. I have to position the phone just right for it to charge, but actually I think it's the cord that's messed up, not the phone.

Upvote 0
I had light leakage. Took it in, they said they'd replace the screen, came back, they lied and told me the new screen had light leakage too, so they were giving me a new phone. What actually happened was the tech damaged the chassis AND broke the search button light, and was covering his ass saying there was still leakage after the replacement. So after lying to me, they give me a refurb, that has WORSE light leakage. I go back in and demand a new phone, they tell me they can see the light leakage, but its not bad enough to change for another phone. I tell them give me my old phone then since the leakage wasn't as bad and I won't have to re-download everything. This is when I discovered they actually HAD fixed the leakage, but damaged it in other ways.

So now I get to take my phone with a broken search button to a different sprint store..

In the 2 months I've had my evo on sprint, I've averaged more time on the phone and in store with customer support per WEEK than I spent total during 3 years on tmobile.

I have to admit that I'm fairly shocked at the level of tolerance that many of you have. I wouldn't hesitate to replace a phone with some of the problems listed here.

Spending your only day off in a sprint store takes a lot of fight out of you, especially when your left with a broken phone still at the end of the day. I know I'm not the only person that can't seem to fix such a simple problem with just an hour trip to the sprint store.

Oh, and anyone who says sprint customer support is any better than the crap they've always been, is letting the sugar coated greeting, and demands to give them "very good" on surveys cloud what's really going on. FIVE people in customer support I talked to all acted like they had never heard of glass separation or light leakage on the EVO. One said she was gonna transfer me to tech to "enter some codes" and "do some updates." I was like, do one of these codes magically put my phone back together? I also had 2 people accuse me of doing physical damage(over the phone by the way) to the refurb in the 10 minutes I had it, because that's the ONLY reason a store wouldn't replace or fix it.

Upvote 0
Suffered from light leakage, screen separation (causing light leakage), dusty upper left screen, crooked power button, clicky volume rocker, and the back cover doesn't fit flush.

Took my phone in to fix light leakage and screen separation, they replaced LCD and said it would fix it and it definitely did nothing lol. But while taking it apart they fixed the power button and volume rocker. Unfortunately the rest i will have to deal with, and because of this i doubt HTC will be a future purchase for me.

Upvote 0
I had to send my phone in, through BB, to get it to stop going to speakerphone. The tech made note of a light spot(letter B), dust in the screen(upper left) and a mangled charging port. BB got it back to me after three weeks and the only thing they fixed was the speakerphone issue. The Geeksquad techs couldn't figure out why they didn't fix all of the problems that they listed, they said that they have a full time person that just calls vendors and contractors to find out why they aren't doing what they are supposed to be doing(?). My phone was also filthy, it even had a few long hairs pinched in between the glass and the frame. Are they sending these phones to a third world country to get fixed?
I'm going to stop by the Sprint store and see if they can do anything for me.
Other than that, this phone has lasted longer than almost any phone I"ve had.

Adam

Upvote 0
I have to get my phone replaced tomorrow and I am not happy. It was working perfectly but the usb port won't charge consistently. Its a shame because my phone looks practically brand new, and I would hate to get a replacement like some of the ones reported on here.

I carry my evo without a case since I upgraded to a larger battery several months ago.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones