• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any (Physical) Problems With Your Evos?

1.i've never dropped either of my phone i'm very careful with it thank you very much..

2.I don't use the power button to lock the phone most the time,because I have the screen off setup for 15 seconds. But it's still going down lower and lower slowly.

3.i'm not the only one having problems with sinking power button. There are links on here,xda and other sites.

I really do love my evo so i'm doing everything I can to take care of it. I never had this problem with my HTC HD2

I'm just saying I know 4-5 other people with the EVO. Not a single person has experienced this and they received their phones a few weeks after mine. The 5th phone was purchased in August. Some people are probably pressing down to hard on the device or they have dropped the phone.

If a power button is defective. You would have noticed it when they handed you the new EVO right out of the box. For someone to have the SAME problem with their device two times in a row is extremely suspicious to me. There is no way out of ALL the EVOs sold a person can get two phones back to back with jacked up power buttons. And oh, the problem doesn't show itself until after you have had the phone for a few weeks.

Reactions: BenChase7
Upvote 0
three EVO's on my plan (hardware 002, 003 and 004), none of which have any problems. And mine (the 003) goes on a 3 to 5 mi hike with me EVERY day in the rugged AZ terrain, GPS tracking and streaming music. When I get home, I wipe it down and call it good (no cover; completely "naked"). I'm the "picky" type with my phones, and still cant find any problems. :)

Upvote 0
I'm just saying I know 4-5 other people with the EVO. Not a single person has experienced this and they received their phones a few weeks after mine. The 5th phone was purchased in August. Some people are probably pressing down to hard on the device or they have dropped the phone.

If a power button is defective. You would have noticed it when they handed you the new EVO right out of the box. For someone to have the SAME problem with their device two times in a row is extremely suspicious to me. There is no way out of ALL the EVOs sold a person can get two phones back to back with jacked up power buttons. And oh, the problem doesn't show itself until after you have had the phone for a few weeks.

Ohhh so you know 5 people with EVOs. That obviously gives you the right to call him a liar or accuse him of breaking his phone. I think if you search you can find the guy that got 4 crappy EVOs in a row. You should go give him a good tongue lashing too and teach him how to properly handle a phone.

Have you ever heard of a refurb?

Upvote 0
Ohhh so you know 5 people with EVOs. That obviously gives you the right to call him a liar or accuse him of breaking his phone. I think if you search you can find the guy that got 4 crappy EVOs in a row. You should go give him a good tongue lashing too and teach him how to properly handle a phone.

Have you ever heard of a refurb?

The person you are talking about didn't receive a refurbished phone. His phone was BRAND NEW. Next question.

Having a refurbished phone with issues is understandable but not two brand new phones fresh out of the box.

Upvote 0
The person you are talking about didn't receive a refurbished phone. His phone was BRAND NEW. Next question.

Having a refurbished phone with issues is understandable but not two brand new phones fresh out of the box.

He never said if the replacement was new or not, and given the sheisty-ness of all the sprint stores I've gone too, I wouldn't be surprised if there are stores selling refurbs as new, they've tried to pass them off as new for me, so who knows...

But again, continue with your assumptions - do you have the angry mob and pitchforks ready? I say we really teach this guy a lesson. Nobody badmouths MY EVO!

Upvote 0
He never said if the replacement was new or not, and given the sheisty-ness of all the sprint stores I've gone too, I wouldn't be surprised if there are stores selling refurbs as new, they've tried to pass them off as new for me, so who knows...

But again, continue with your assumptions - do you have the angry mob and pitchforks ready? I say we really teach this guy a lesson. Nobody badmouths MY EVO!

If he had the "white EVO" for a week and a half they are not going to give him a refurbished phone. He said he returned his phone for a black one this past Thursday. Meaning he walked into a corporate store. If he received a refurbished phone he would have had to go through Sprint insurance. Sprint isn't going to give you a refurbished phone out of a corporate store!

Upvote 0
Sigh.... yes, they will.

edit:

In fact,

EVERY phone I've gotten from a sprint store(and yes it was corpo) has been refurbished, and
EVERY phone I've gotten from Asurion has been a new phone.

The fact of the matter is he didn't get a refurbished phone. And nobody on here is going to have a phone for a week and a half and go into Sprint and accept a refurbished phone for a phone they just purchased a week and a half ago.

Upvote 0
my daughter's and my evos both started giving us problems about a month ago. we could have them sitting on a counter, and the screen would power on by itself. it got to the point where it would run the battery completely down, even while they were on the chargers.

i'm very anal about keeping bare-bones apps and info on mine to keep plenty of free space, whereas my daughter (14 y/o) loads hers down.

we brought them both to the repair store last weekend, and were notified that there is a problem with some power circuit in some of the evos. apparently, both of ours were effected. the tech waived any fees that would have been incurred to replace the phones and we got new ones within a couple days.

now, we have our reliable work horse phones again.

Upvote 0
The biggest problem with my evo is that I can't seem to ever put it down. The second biggest problem is that even though all these new devices are coming out, I still don't want to let go of it, but I think I would like a galaxy note. I just upgraded from Savaged Zen rc4/ Savaged Zen 2.2.1 to cm7/ tiamat SBC and went from 1450 to 1550 on quadrant. So m loving my phone right now!

In my house we have 4 evos. I thought it was worth mentioning that my brothers had problems until I rooted it and put cm7/tiamat on it ( after seeing how good it ran I made the switch) my moms speakerphone automatically comes on and her proximity sensor has problems. But my dads runs great, and I myself have never had a problem that I either couldn't fix or made myself. IMHO this phone set the standard, and many phones that are coming out still don't compare to it.

Upvote 0
Don't have the Evo anymore, but before I got the Nexus S 4G, I got a replacement Evo. The other Evo was basically in perfect condition, all the previous problems I've had before fixed itself somehow. But it started to overheat; the heat was so hot, I actually dropped my phone once after not being able to handle the heat. Then the dreaded rebooting curse started to kick in. But I assume the overheating caused the rebooting, as prior to the reboots, I felt the heat starting to kick in. I took it over to Sprint, and they just factory reset it. I already did that a bunch of times, but I pretended to be a fool, and just let them do their thing, and they said if it still rebooted and/or overheated, to go back and they'll replace it for $30. I was more than glad to pay those $30 for a new Evo. I got the replacement, and there were no problems with it; no light leakage at all, and it was just perfect. But I did notice that I got a crack (like bottom picture) a week after getting the phone. But nothing else besides that. :)

6a00d83451c9ec69e20133f31792d4970b-800wi

Upvote 0
Well i had my Evo 4g replaced @ best-buy less than a week when i had it,8/17/11 phone would not charge, wifi quit working, and speaker sounded crackling, so i took it in, they gave me a referb crap, the "clear" button would not work, replaced phone again 8/24/11 now this phone out of referb box had lens scratches on camera, crack next to power button when i got it.... was so pissed that they canceled my black tie thing, and canceled my insurance with sprint, now i have the "clear "button not working. 1/30/12 turned off service due to no reception in my area for sprint, just only verizon ( phone is on page plus now) I'm waiting for HTC to contact me so i can get phone fixed under MFG warranty... glad i keep all my receipts and records, I will NEVER BUY CRAP FROM BEST BUY!

Upvote 0
I've had my Evo since 1 or 2 months after release. The kickstand is a little loose, the silver "T" and "C" are gone from the back cover, and of course the camera lens is cracked (not like anyone didn't know that was going to be an issue on the launch day). Aside from that, it's great! I stripped the case and screen protector a few months back and haven't looked back :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones