• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any real use for tablets yet?

My tablet has caused me to ask myself, "Is there any reason for me to ever buy another laptop?"

Love my tablet. Use it constantly. I'm using it now.

Why to buy another laptop? It always depends on what kind of usage one needs.

Ok for example, I need to present a video presentation. I need to be able insert text/subtitles, insert slides and graphics, trim cut and arrange 24 HD videos taken from different devices with different formats, and render them into one continuous video. Do that on a tablet? I dont think so.

Lets see, another reason to buy another more powerful laptop. A designer, needs to create a vector image logo with specific design aspects like 3D graphical art, shadowing, depth, etc. You can do a "rough" design on a tablet, but actual thing? You'd need Illustrator/Draw.

As said time and again in this thread: tablets are for consumption use, not for productions. So basically, the answer for the question of "Do I buy a laptop or a tablet?" is another question: "Do you use your device for authoring and productivity, or mainly for consumption?" If the former, get a decent laptop (not netbook, I mean REAL laptops that run with at least 2Ghz dual cores and dedicated GPU's and at least 2gb RAM). If you are primarily a netbook/media consumption type user, a tablet may well replace your netbook.

Upvote 0
Its entirely dependent on what you do on your PC. Lets see those iPad fanatics do full vector drawing, photoshop designing, video editing to the level Corel/Adobe/Cyberlink is able to let you on a PC. Tablets are consumer stuff, not productivity stuff. But a tablet computer like this:
81GiebvSJoL._AA1500_.jpg

Is for productivity. Heavier though.

Looks nice. However, I'm sticking with my eee900 for now. Although it is long in the tooth technology wise its a useful bit of kit.

Upvote 0
What I wonder about tablets is whether it is possible to do the following on them as easily as a laptop or netbook:

Write an article in a word-processor - say 1000ish words

I have an Eee Pad Transformer with a keyboard dock, so I can do this.

Create non-trivial spreadsheets - something that would take more than
10 minutes on a desktop say.

I considered trying this on my tablet, but haven't done so as I haven't had a need to use a non-trivial spreadsheet until this week. I use a complex spreadsheet with macros for my hockey pool research. I decided to just use my laptop as I didn't want to go through the trouble of copying the files over. I haven't really tried Polaris office. Maybe I'll try it next week. I do have less complex spreadsheets for some games that I play to organise the playing pieces.

I'm not sure if you consider it cheating if I use my keyboard dock. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones