• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any Time is Grillin Time

Did a little beer can chicken for dinner.
upload_2021-9-2_18-41-16.png

upload_2021-9-2_18-41-47.png

Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0
I'm of the opinion that beer can chicken is the best grilled chicken. Your chicken looks great! It's a cook that I haven't done since buying the Webber. Now you have it topping my list of upcoming cooks.
That was on the Traeger, so try it, of if you have friends over, a few on your new smoker. :)

Upvote 0
I never tried smoking a beer can chicken. I spatchcocked and smoked pieces. I never had the skin turn out like I wanted. Your bird looks nice and crispy. What temp did you smoke?
My beer butt chicken was always grilled. It's been so long but I'm thinking 375 or 400 degrees.
That's nearing flash point of grease so I've shied away from the smoke.

Reactions: Unforgiven
Upvote 0
Speaking of friends and cooks... my plans now are to smoke my pork butt Sunday at the cabin. I put the smoker together today so it's ready. It's supposed to rain tomorrow and one of the couples coming wanted to do something tomorrow night. I'm not quite sure just what but all I have to do is eat. :) Sunday is supposed to be a nice day for smoking the butt so it is working out great.

Upvote 0
I never tried smoking a beer can chicken. I spatchcocked and smoked pieces. I never had the skin turn out like I wanted. Your bird looks nice and crispy. What temp did you smoke?
Yes, 375. Like roasting a chicken, I separate the skin from the breast, and shove pats of butter between, which helps keep the meat moist as well as gives that nice, golden brown color to the skin.

Upvote 0
Yes, 375. Like roasting a chicken, I separate the skin from the breast, and shove pats of butter between, which helps keep the meat moist as well as gives that nice, golden brown color to the skin.
I've never done that with a chicken but most always do my turkeys that way. I see that you put a pan under your chicken. That's a good idea as well. Appreciate the tips.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
The new GM smoker had it's maiden cook this weekend. I smoked out a pork shoulder and it turned out great. I established a point to point connection between cooker and phone which worked just great. However, without a wifi network, I had to forget the connection to return internet service to my phone. I don't foresee it being a problem. I just won't use the wifi ability of the smoker. I'm always out on the deck stirring the pot so to speak anyway.

I was a bit alarmed about the length of my cook. I put the shoulder on at 8:00 AM and through experience I anticipated my cook to be over between four or five PM. Give it some time to rest and pull it for dinner around 6:00 pm. I wrapped it at 3:00 when it was only 140° to speed up the cook. I turned up the smoker temp to 260° at 4:30 and to 285° at 6:00. I finally called it done at a bit after seven with an internal temp of 203°. I've never had a shoulder cook so slowly. Next time I'm down there I plan to put an oven thermometer in the smoker to see if it is achieving the temp the smoker says. It's either off some or that was a really dense shoulder.

Upvote 0
A smoked out a beef brisket point yesterday. It wasn't a large piece of meat and it cooked a lot faster than my guess. When it was nearing 200° I turned the smoker off and let the point fall to 180° before starting the smoker again. I set the smoker temp at 205° and let the meat reach that temp before removing it to rest. The step added about two hours to the cook but I had no desire to let it rest all of that time. The point turned out fantastic! I'll never be hesitant about elongating a cook again if need be.

Upvote 0
I grilled out some boneless skinless chicken thighs tonight. It amazes me how hot my Weber cooks. All three burners on low holds a temp just over 400°. It's easy enough to turn a burner or two off or open the lid to decrease the temp. A lot easier than trying to get more heat in the grill than it's capable of. No complaints. I'm really liking the Weber. It's a good tool.

This weekend it's boys night out at the cabin. I planned on keeping it simple for eats. I'm going to grill some burgers for dinner served with some chips and dip. I want to jazz up the cook being as it's so simple I was thinking about smoking some onions and some thick sliced peppered bacon.
I googled up both and it looked simple enough. The onions you either split from end to end or cut away both ends, peel away the outermost skin, and smoke at 180° for an hour. The bacon goes right on the grill with the smoker at 300° for a half hour or until the desired doneness.

My question is has anyone tried either of these cooks? They look legit but I'd love to have some trusted input on them. I don't want to waste my time smoking them if there isn't a benefit. And if there is a tweak to google's cooks I'd definitely want to incorporate it.

Upvote 0
I grilled out some boneless skinless chicken thighs tonight. It amazes me how hot my Weber cooks. All three burners on low holds a temp just over 400°. It's easy enough to turn a burner or two off or open the lid to decrease the temp. A lot easier than trying to get more heat in the grill than it's capable of. No complaints. I'm really liking the Weber. It's a good tool.

This weekend it's boys night out at the cabin. I planned on keeping it simple for eats. I'm going to grill some burgers for dinner served with some chips and dip. I want to jazz up the cook being as it's so simple I was thinking about smoking some onions and some thick sliced peppered bacon.
I googled up both and it looked simple enough. The onions you either split from end to end or cut away both ends, peel away the outermost skin, and smoke at 180° for an hour. The bacon goes right on the grill with the smoker at 300° for a half hour or until the desired doneness.

My question is has anyone tried either of these cooks? They look legit but I'd love to have some trusted input on them. I don't want to waste my time smoking them if there isn't a benefit. And if there is a tweak to google's cooks I'd definitely want to incorporate it.
I haven't tried either of those, but when you said you wanted to jazz up the cook with burgers, the first thing that came to my mind was Juicy Lucys. It's a recipe I found earlier this year and is quite simple. It is basically saute'd onions and cheddar cheese sealed between two 1/4 pound patties, topped with bacon, bbq, and whatever else you want to throw on your burger. Pretty simple but an absolute blast of flavor and juices. Google a recipe for specifics if you want. :)

Two hints, don't skip the onions inside as some recipes omit, and get good cheddar cheese so it is creamy when it melts and not oily.

Upvote 0
That sounds good. I think I'll try that at home before I spring it on the boys. I have one that doesn't eat cheese for one and I worry about keeping the cheese from melting out. Have you tried that recipe with some pepper rings?
I haven't, just onions. I'm sure you can stuff it with whatever you want.

Upvote 0
I will likely do my juicy lucys with sautéed onions, quality cheddar, and some crisp pepper rings. I think I'd enjoy the flavor and the crunch. Appreciate the idea.
Soooo, I had some leftover saute'd onions and peppers and Tillamook cheddar cheese from a fajita meal, so I grabbed some 80% ground beef and made some juicy lucys. You just can't go wrong, except thinking you will want to eat more than one. :p
upload_2021-9-18_9-27-16.png

Upvote 0
Burgers at the cabin were good. I smoked my onions and bacon. They were okay but honestly not worth the effort or the pellets. I really could not taste smoke on either. The onions took on a light brown color so they were pretty. Once they were sliced the color was lost. The bacon cooked perfectly on the smoker. They were extra tasty without frying in their fat. The same could be easily achieved in a 300° oven with the bacon on a rack sitting in a drip pan. I'll not be smoking onions or bacon again unless I have the smoker going for something else already.

Upvote 0
I got in a round of golf with my son this morning and on my way home I stopped at my local market for something to grill out tonight. They had a great price on some t-bones so a couple of beauties followed me home. I marinated them in beer and Allegro with some Grill Mate Montreal steak seasoning for a few hours then smoked them at 150° until I saw an internal temp of 107°. I then tossed them on a rippin hot Weber and put a nice sear on them. They were medium rare which is the way we like them, very tender and t-bone tasty. I also bought some bb ribs that I'll smoke tomorrow. They were on sale today as well.
T-Bone.jpg

Upvote 0
I smoked out my bb ribs yesterday. I used a different rub than normal. One of my daughters graced me with an assortment of spices from the Spice Guy and I tried a new one on the ribs.
It was called Colorado something or another. Just a bit on the fingertip told a tale of bold and hot.
I finished up the ribs with a brown sugar honey glaze hoping the it would produce a sweet hot rack. The ribs were good but I was not at all fond of the spices. They didn't ruin the ribs but they just weren't me. I'll try the rub on some chicken sometime and if I don't like that... it loses its place on my spice shelf.

Upvote 0
I went camping this weekend and made a couple of breakfast fatty's. I was only planning on making one, but my mother in law accidentally bought hot sausage meat, so I made a hot one and a mild one. Essentially, it was scrambled eggs and cheddar cheese wrapped in sausage meat wrapped in dry rubbed bacon weave and glazed with bourbon maple sauce. I cooked it at 275 on my tailgate smoke and wow did they come out good. I have a couple tweaks for the next time I cook them, number one being 1 dozen eggs, 1/2 lb. of cheese, and 4lbs of meat is too much for 4 adults to eat in an entire weekend, but I will make them again.
upload_2021-9-27_14-7-44.png

upload_2021-9-27_14-8-9.png

Upvote 0
I just have to try a breakfast fatty. Yours look fantastic!!
I think I'd go a little lighter on the rub, maybe even eliminate it. The sausage, bacon, and glaze are plenty of flavor. And I need to more evenly distribute the egg as it was a little light on the ends and heavy towards the center.

Oh well, you don't know what to improve if you never try it the first time. :p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones