• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any Time is Grillin Time

I have another butt in the freezer, and I'm thinking campground snacks with that capicola recipe.
It takes time... but as your corned beef cook.... some things are worth the time and effort. I sure want to try it. and besides, the wife and I can't eat a pork butt in one setting. Why not turn half of that butt into a dried spiced meat? There are a lot of other meats that can be dried cured. I am just a lover of capicola subs. I'd like to try additional meats too.

Upvote 0
I use a propane torch. It takes a hot flame to ignite the pellets. I don't think a propellent would work unless you just got a few at the end of the tube wet. You need to blow out the flame once it's gong so the pellets can smolder. If you don't have a propane torch, I'd try charcoal starter or one of those jet lighters.
images

Upvote 0
I'm already tired of stores running short or simply out of products. A product that comes to mind is boxed instant potatoes. Not that we are big consumers of the product but it has a shelf life of forever and is handy on occasion. It has been unavailable in my area since before Thanksgiving. It's not just the brand I like but all brands are gone. I can buy a packet of four servings and use two and try to save the rest I guess. The box was handy for making a little or a lot.
Mysteriously, this product was not only in stock but heavily stocked at my market yesterday. I haven't a clue why it was unavailable at all stores in my area for four months or why it is suddenly available again. I should have whined about it sooner. :)

Upvote 0
Your breakfast hash looks great! I'm impressed with the marbling of your brisket. It's a beautiful cut that I bet your guests were impressed with. Any deviations from the recipe you posted slated for next year? I have to try the cook sometime.... I know, I say that every year. :)
Just cutting the time if I'm only doing flats. Even with them done so early, I was able to keep them hot until dinner time.

Reactions: ocnbrze and AugieTN
Upvote 0
So a bit of an experiment today. I'm making two butts, one (on the right) with my normal homemade rub. It's basically a customized kc BBQ rub. On the left is simply kosher salt and black pepper. I'm just curious how the flavor differs between the two when cooked, and since they are cooking together, I can sample each at the same time.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-19 2.35.04 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-19 2.35.04 PM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 28
Upvote 0
So a bit of an experiment today. I'm making two butts, one (on the right) with my normal homemade rub. It's basically a customized kc BBQ rub. On the left is simply kosher salt and black pepper. I'm just curious how the flavor differs between the two when cooked, and since they are cooking together, I can sample each at the same time.
I'm curious as well. I always use a rub and have for some time been married to one particular rub for my butts. I've gone to just salt and pepper, both coarse ground, for most of my beef smokes. I've decided that there is no good reason to hide or mask the wonderful flavor of beef. With that in mind, why cover up the flavor of good pork?

I do have a question for you. Walmart has their 4 zone Blackstone on sale for $279. I'm more than tempted. Are you still enjoying your Blackstone and do you find it a great tool in your cooking arsenal? My son, who has this Blackstone, is the one that brought the sale to my attention and is trying hard to talk me into being a buyer. I'm on the fence would enjoy your vote one way or another. I can visualize the fun of using one but I've lived without one forever.
I know I'd use the griddle but I don't know just how often.

Reactions: ocnbrze and AugieTN
Upvote 0
So I have to say, I may have over salted a bit, but the plain salt & pepper was as good as the custom rub. Now, I'm not sure if I'll just add more salt to that rub or disregard it all together. I do know that if I have a butt, and no rub, that I'll be plenty happy with just some salt and pepper.

I have a 36" 4 zone blackstone and I love it. I paid more (I want to say a lot more, but I don't remember exactly) so it sounds like a good price. I haven't used it in a few months as it isn't conducive to winter grilling, but I can't wait to get back to it. It's the right tool for certain jobs. You can drive a nail in with a wrench, but it isn't as effective. Grills are the same thing. I enjoy grilling and having different ways to cook make me happy.

Upvote 0
So I have to say, I may have over salted a bit, but the plain salt & pepper was as good as the custom rub. Now, I'm not sure if I'll just add more salt to that rub or disregard it all together. I do know that if I have a butt, and no rub, that I'll be plenty happy with just some salt and pepper.

I have a 36" 4 zone blackstone and I love it. I paid more (I want to say a lot more, but I don't remember exactly) so it sounds like a good price. I haven't used it in a few months as it isn't conducive to winter grilling, but I can't wait to get back to it. It's the right tool for certain jobs. You can drive a nail in with a wrench, but it isn't as effective. Grills are the same thing. I enjoy grilling and having different ways to cook make me happy.
Thanks for the spice info. I might just cook a butt with just pepper. I'm not big on salt and I usually find pork salty enough for my taste.

My son broke his out last weekend for a cook and is cooking on it again today. His set idle all winter as well. After he showed me a pic of the surface after setting idle in the elements I became more excited. Rust has always been a major concern of mine and being on the fence has stopped me from buying.
The sale price is cheaper than my son paid 16 months ago. I might just pull the trigger. I have a home project I've put off that I need to do before playing with a new cooker. (according to my wife :)) I don't know how long the sale lasts so I might buy, do my home duties, and then put the thing together. It will add incentive to insulate and retrim my interior windows.

Upvote 0
I'll tell you what, Olbriar; try cooking a salmon filet on that thing. I don't have a pellet grill but my dad does. I think he cooks it on the smoke setting and maybe turns it up at the end to finish it, but it's amazing. I'll try and ask him and update if there's anything more specific.
speaking of salmon. i had some of my grilled salmon leftover......so on the second night i took the leftover and add some mayo with lemon and dill and mashed them all up. i then made some thin patties and used panko bread crumbs and pan fried them. i then made a salmon burger with lettuce and tomato on a brioche bun.........soooooooooo goooooood

Upvote 0
My home project has evolved and makes sense while I have my tools out of storage. I'm to remove the cabinet that houses my dishwasher and toss both. Then I'll build a new cabinet for storage to take its place. The Blackstone will have just have to wait. :( Keeping peace at home is paramount. :) I watched Blackstone cooks until the wee hours last night. They all looked fun and delicious but the cooker is not a necessity. It remains on my list of wants.

While attempting to find out how long Walmart might have the four burner on sale, I discovered that they have have a number of different 4 burner Blackstone griddles listed at varying prices. I can't tell what the difference is between them besides the price. The cheapest is the one that I was looking at and it comes with a hard cover. I don't know if they are phasing out this particular package or the more expensive units listed have more btu or a different cooking surface or what. I'm all confused. :)

Upvote 0
We started a members-only subscription for monthly ranch-to-door delivery of USDA Prime beef, never administered growth hormones or antibiotics, from the only 100% vertically-integrated independent beef operation in America. We get our first delivery mid-April and we're so stoked for some prime ribeye steaks that will blow away anything from any store!

:love:

Upvote 0
We started a members-only subscription for monthly ranch-to-door delivery of USDA Prime beef, never administered growth hormones or antibiotics, from the only 100% vertically-integrated independent beef operation in America. We get our first delivery mid-April and we're so stoked for some prime ribeye steaks that will blow away anything from any store!

:love:
I bet that is some kind of wonderful! My son and I plan to order some wagyu beef together sometime this summer. He got some a year ago and OMG.
The meat is ridiculously priced and crazy good. A person should treat themselves now and then. I hope you are very satisfied with your subscription beef Chief. I've never subscribed to a meat club but I did try a cheese, a honey, and a hot sauce club through the years. I never thought it was at a great savings but all three had nothing but quality products and deliveries like clockwork.

I grew up eating farm fresh beef raised by my uncle's in-laws. None of the cattle were doctored. The picks of the lot were always raised with the best of the best and the beef we shared was just outstanding. Oh how I miss that beef connection.

Good luck with your beef. I hope it is everything and more than anticipated.

Upvote 0
USDA Choice is generally categorized as Low Choice or High Choice, depending on the amount of marbling. High Choice is almost indistinguishable from Prime (which is the top 9% of US beef); while Low Choice isn't much better than USDA Select. One local grocery store chain here sells USDA Choice ribeye with very little marbling. A local grocery store has "Certified Angus" ribeye with very little marbling (likely the offspring of an an Angus bull mated with a scrawny dairy cow: because it's half Angus, USDA certifies it as such). It will be a refreshing change to put some genuine Prime ribeyes on the grill.

I made a video for the former tax deduction son, because I didn't want to take my steak technique to the grave with me. However, I kinda like you folks, too... so take it onboard for what you think it's worth.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It was requested that we have steak tips tomorrow. I'll go in the morning and get some, but jeez, are they expensive. I have to get them early as they need to marinate. I'll be using a mix of bourbon, brown sugar, garlic, and soy sauce. I'll let that break things down all day, grill them up and serve them over rice. I'll probably do some mixed vegetables in the rice as well to round out the meal.

Reactions: olbriar and AugieTN
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Tomorrow I'm smoking one of my corned beef briskets that I bought on the cheap a couple of days before St. Pat's day. I'm going to rinse the brisket then lightly spice it with some coarse pepper and maybe a bit of garlic. I plan on smoking it just like I normally smoke a brisket. We'll eat half of the brisket with potatoes tomorrow and Monday the remainder will be reuben sandwiches.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones