• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any Time is Grillin Time

I will be cooking ribs in the air fryer later tonight. Have to let thaw out and later when I stop for my 30 minute break I will throw them in a zip lock bag with Worcestershire sauce, a little salt, pepper, onion and garlic powder to marinade .
I love some country ribs. :)

Around the New Year I bought a whole rib roast. I cooked a few pounds of it as prime rib dinner and I cut the rest into rib-eye steaks. Today I pulled a couple out to thaw and they will be going on the grill pretty quick.
1710022473006.png

Upvote 0
I just unwrapped a rack of St Louis style ribs for their last hour of smoke. I'll give them at least an hour and maybe 1.5 hours before I bring them in. Here is a pic of the rack after five and a half hours.
View attachment 172111
There should be laws against that. Those look fantastic.

Upvote 0
I just unwrapped a rack of St Louis style ribs for their last hour of smoke. I'll give them at least an hour and maybe 1.5 hours before I bring them in. Here is a pic of the rack after five and a half hours.
View attachment 172111

I've grilled a lot of St. Louis ribs and those ribs are the meatiest St. Louis ribs I have ever seen. :love:

Upvote 0
I've grilled a lot of St. Louis ribs and those ribs are the meatiest St. Louis ribs I have ever seen. :love:
They were the meatiest I've ever smoked. We ate the larger half of that rack. I could only eat four ribs and the wife had three. All we had with the ribs was a tossed salad. Not only was it super meaty but I managed to cook them exactly the way I like them best for a change. I have a tendency to over cook my pork ribs in an effort to make them less greasy. Today the stars aligned and they weren't greasy and still plenty moist. To a guy that has lately struggled with the taste of pork, they tasted fantastic to me.

Upvote 0
I have a pound of ground beef thawing in the fridge. I'm going to grill big fat bacon cheese burgers for dinner tomorrow night. It's been quite some time since we last had grilled burgers. We been eating our burgers smashed thin and a bit crispy on the edges on the Blackstone for some time now. They are good prepared that way but I'm in the mood for a big old fashioned grilled burger.

Upvote 0
I have a pound of ground beef thawing in the fridge. I'm going to grill big fat bacon cheese burgers for dinner tomorrow night. It's been quite some time since we last had grilled burgers. We been eating our burgers smashed thin and a bit crispy on the edges on the Blackstone for some time now. They are good prepared that way but I'm in the mood for a big old fashioned grilled burger.
We have a nice 70 degree night, so I'm doing nice 1/2 lb burgers with the works tonight. My wife made a fresh potato salad for a side. Anything for an early taste of summer.

Upvote 0
I picked up my brisket today. Prices are outrageous. :( Anyway, I'll get it in brine on Saturday to turn it into a homemade smoked corned beef brisket by the weekend of St. Patrick's day. My wife will complain that it is only 6 1/2 lbs., but did I mention the prices. Plus, it is too hard to find the 16-18lb packers that I used to use. :(
I'm jealous of this cook every year. I hope it turns out great. I bought my store brined corned beef a few days ago. It was on sale for $3.99 a pound marked down from $5.99. It's just under three and a half pound point. They had a few flats that were not marked down. I'm not really that picky and like cheaper better. :) With no surprise, the brined brisket is simply crazy high in sodium. I've not had a cheat day since I was told to consume less than 1500mg daily with 1000 being a great number. Tomorrow I cheat! The package says the brisket contains 1120mg of sodium per four ounce serving. I can assure you that I will consume far more than four ounces. :)

I wonder just how much sodium is in your home brined brisket? I've not explored brining my own for lack of refrigeration space but that has changed. I inherited another small beer fridge that is only used to keep my yogurts and protein drinks cold. I could easily brine a whole packer if desired. As much as I'm a fan of corned beef, I will have to check out low sodium brines. The very idea of any brine being low sodium is not likely but less is good.

Added: It seems there are plenty of lower sodium recipes out there. I'll have to try them out.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I wonder just how much sodium is in your home brined brisket?
I really don't know how to tell. The brine uses 1 1/2 cups of kosher salt and 4 tbsp of pink salt, but you dump all of that out and then soak the brisket in clear water for 8-12 hours. How much salt gets absorbed? Who knows?? I'll say generally speaking it isn't as salty as store bought, but I wouldn't trust my taste buds against a medical issue. ;)

Upvote 0
I will hog down on store bought tomorrow. I'll have to try one of the lower sodium brines. It has to be healthier. I know it will still be high in sodium. Everything is high in sodium it seems. I will call it a cheat day and simply not know how bad it is. It has to be lower than store bought. And the brines I'm seeing contain no sodium nitrate. Less brining time but not necessarily cured. An add on with one brine was to use beet root powder to give the meat a red tint. I don't particularly need it red. :) I looked again... 1 cup kosher salt and no pink. I might have to give this one a go.

Upvote 0
Dang! Sorry about that. I had planned to redo my patio cover last fall but had a heart attack instead. It still sheds the cookers from the rain for the most part. It's old enough that the plastic roof panels are brittle and breaking. I hope to replace the roof framing and install new panels this year. I had no intentions to put a plastic roof on it years ago and was only seeking shade. The roof is framed all wrong for the panels but they served me well for over twenty five years in spite of my poor planning.

Upvote 0
Thankfully I don't have to man the grill, but sometimes you want to stand around and enjoy the aroma. I had mi first problem with the grill. Raindrops on the touchscreen and somehow when I was putting the brisket back on after bagging it I swapped it to pizza mode, so it would only set temps between 300-500. I was finally able to figure out how to get it out of pizza mode, but it took a couple minutes standing in the rain.

I did learn the I can cancel shut down mode, which is a huge plus. My last Weber had to go through the entire shutdown cool off cycle before it could fire back up (15 minutes or so). So if you accidentally triggered the shutdown, you were a good 20-25 minutes from getting the grill back up to temp, which is enough to ruin a cook.

Reactions: AugieTN and olbriar
Upvote 0
I don't have to worry about the pizza mode on my Green Mountain. :ROFLMAO: :cry:
Not being able to quickly return to a cook would be a bummer. The GM isn't sophisticated enough to give a hang. If all else fails, hit the power button twice.... it will shut off and start up without considering shutting down.
Once in a while, since I replaced the hot rod, it will go through the startup sequence but not catch the pellets on fire. Power button twice and it starts up again. My old GM I had to unplug it if it ever had a hiccup. Even without a fire, it insisted on doing a proper shut down and blow out of the burn pot before it would enter startup again.

How's that corned beef looking???

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I hope your corned brisket was super good! I just put my chuck roast on the smoker. I'm in no hurry and have the smoker set at 225°. If it cooks slow I'll wrap it but I don't anticipate needing to. I have a crummy day for the cook. It's about as warm as it will get today which is in the mid fifties. The wind is ripping from the South with gusts near 40mph. It is lightly sprinkling with the possibility of rain most all day. Oh well.

Upvote 0
Corned beef is as good as always. I had plenty left for corned beef hash this morning, but was lacking time to make it. I'll set some aside and freeze it so I can make the hash next weekend. It isn't something you eat before work due to a high chance of food coma.

Today I made roughly 200 Italian meatballs for an event at work. The last batch is in the oven.

Upvote 0
I forgot what a beautiful piece of meat my Christmas present was from my son. It's a bit over five pounds of rib roast. I vac sealed it and it's been waiting until I thought it would taste good to me since the holiday. I'm taking the chance and smoking it tomorrow. I've kept it frozen longer than I had planned and it's time to feast on it. Besides, I'm tired of my wife asking when we were going to eat it. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones