• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any true VoIP applications that work?

miketeebo

Lurker
May 12, 2010
I have been looking around today and am trying to find a VoIP application that will actually work.

Let's say, what if I got my phone shut off from VZW, would there be a way to make VoIP calls over wifi? I have seen posts about using Google Voice in conjunction with other programs. Also, Nimbuzz? Anyone have a positive approach they have used for this?

I will be going out of the US for a while and will be getting my VZW account inactive for a while. I am looking for a way in which I'll be able to still use my Droid Incredible to make calls to the US using wifi. I'd even be willing to make calls just to Skype friends or Nimbuzz friends. I am hoping that someone else has found a way to accomplish this.

Thanks for your help!

Reactions: bmorganiii
Sipdroid works with Google Voice + Sipscorcery. Sipscorcery is invite only now, I googled this and apparently you can get Sipdroid to work with only GV, it's just not as transparent as if you also have a Sipscorecy account. For the life of me I cannot get it to work. I gave up a few days ago but will probably try again this weekend. Would LOVE to hear from anyone who's gotten Sipdroid to work with only GV.

Upvote 0
I'm in the same boat. Everything I'm finding online is outdated or very very confusing.

I suspended my verizon account while I am deployed and would really like a free to ultra cheep way to call the US from the hot spots on our installation. I have google voice and sipdroid but getting everything to work is beyond me.

I've setup accounts on pbxes, sip2sip, and IPKall as suggested in this guide but I can't verify anything is working. If someone could guide us in setting up voip on a android this would really help us deployed guys and gals out a lot.

Upvote 0
I actually got Sipdroid/Sipgate and GV to work for free outgoing/incoming calls, but the "free" account isn't very dependable with Sipgate. I missed about 1/3 of the calls while on 3G, and about 10% while on wifi.

I could make calls using GV callback without a problem, but I think the problem is really with Sipgate. The only way to receive all the calls 100% of the time was never to move. lol

I'm back to using the GV callback with that number in my 10 Friends/Family. Soooo 100% of all my calls are free. Just have to get people used to the new number. ;)

S

Upvote 0
I actually got Sipdroid/Sipgate and GV to work for free outgoing/incoming calls, but the "free" account isn't very dependable with Sipgate. I missed about 1/3 of the calls while on 3G, and about 10% while on wifi.

I could make calls using GV callback without a problem, but I think the problem is really with Sipgate. The only way to receive all the calls 100% of the time was never to move. lol

I'm back to using the GV callback with that number in my 10 Friends/Family. Soooo 100% of all my calls are free. Just have to get people used to the new number. ;)

S

care to help us out who can't get this working? I signed up for a sipgate account, not sure what else I need to setup. I used it for a few minutes, call quality was good. But then I noticed the minutes in the upper left of my sipgate account page going down, so it's obviously not using GV. GV Callback will say it's attempting to call me back but my Droid never rings.

I'm sure it's something simple but I'm stumped.

Upvote 0
care to help us out who can't get this working? I signed up for a sipgate account, not sure what else I need to setup. I used it for a few minutes, call quality was good. But then I noticed the minutes in the upper left of my sipgate account page going down, so it's obviously not using GV. GV Callback will say it's attempting to call me back but my Droid never rings.

I'm sure it's something simple but I'm stumped.[/QUOTE

This is what works for me. From the market, get the Google Voice Callback FREE app from Xinlu. There is another one with similar title that I could never get to work. Open options and under Default phone to rings, use your sipgate number. Add +1- to number if dialing in US. Check Google Voice and check that it is forwarded ONLY to sipgate number, otherwise it will ALSO try to call cellular number or whatever else is marked. Make sure your sip phone is configured right. I use SIPDroid. It has a green icon in the notification bar when it is connected properly to the sip server. Most of the other sip phones are similar. In your softphone options, make sure WiFI or WLAN and 3G are checked on.

Turn sip phone on and make sure it's connected. Open GV Callback. Input your number. Make sure that the option "Phone to ring" is set to your sipgate number. Click "Connect with Google Voice" and all the rest is magic. It will have GV call in to your sip phone. When you answer it, it will start a connection to your dialed number on the open incoming line.
Done

Upvote 0
This is what works for me. From the market, get the Google Voice Callback FREE app from Xinlu. There is another one with similar title that I could never get to work. Open options and under Default phone to rings, use your sipgate number. Add +1- to number if dialing in US. Check Google Voice and check that it is forwarded ONLY to sipgate number, otherwise it will ALSO try to call cellular number or whatever else is marked. Make sure your sip phone is configured right. I use SIPDroid. It has a green icon in the notification bar when it is connected properly to the sip server. Most of the other sip phones are similar. In your softphone options, make sure WiFI or WLAN and 3G are checked on.

Turn sip phone on and make sure it's connected. Open GV Callback. Input your number. Make sure that the option "Phone to ring" is set to your sipgate number. Click "Connect with Google Voice" and all the rest is magic. It will have GV call in to your sip phone. When you answer it, it will start a connection to your dialed number on the open incoming line.
Done

Thanks for posting this, I figured it out I didn't have my sipgate number activated in my sipgate settings DOH! Seems to work great now.

Upvote 0
- Was not impressed with the call quality over 3CX.

- Try as I might, I couldn't get SIPDroid to work.

- Currently using Nimbuzz.

I avail SIP services from Betamax. Planning to try out *talkonaut* in the near future.

I'm wondering, though, if there are SIP clients for an android device that offer call conferencing features.

PS: Unable to download Skype, just yet. Wanna see if their client allows manual entry of SIP settings.

Upvote 0
hmm i dont have a positive approach they have used for this
smile.gif

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones