• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Breaking and Entering

olbriar

Jun 19, 2010
Land of Oz
In my case it was just breaking, thankfully. Yesterday I went to put a bag of trash in the dumpster when I found I couldn't get the back door to open. The lock would not draw the bolt from the keeper. I walked around my house and could clearly see evidence that someone had tried to pry their way though my back door. I finally managed to get the bolt retracted and the door open. The lock was broken and my door and the lock side jamb were gouged up. I was last through that door Wednesday AM. The wife and I were both away from home Wed. night to look at Christmas lights. We also ran to the grocery store Thursday. I have to speculate that the attempted break in happened while we were away and most likely while it was dark and we were looking at the Christmas lights. Whenever, I'm glad that they didn't get in.

I spent the afternoon replacing the lock and also installing a deadbolt. At least the chore was something I have the tools and the working knowledge to achieve. I was able to buy hardware that I could rekey to match my front door locks. At least I can use the back door once again and have it secured.

I'm now considering some sort of security cameras. I've lived here for over fifty years and this was my first attempted break in so it's not a frequent problem. I would love to have evidence to turn over to the police of the infraction. All I have is chipped door and jamb and broken lock. A video would be excellent. I hope I never have another problem but I don't want it to be my fault they walk free. I know nothing of my security options. I'm not interested in a service. I think my own hardware and storage device is more up my alley. I think wifi would be the answer. I'll be doing my research but welcome any suggestions.

Reading this I'm reminded of something that happened at our family house in the 90s. On our back door we found the key difficult to turn and wouldn't lock, upon investigation we found a piece of cardboard had been stuffed into the mortice preventing the lock tenon from fully engaging. Someone must have done it deliberately, likely with the intention of coming back later to break in. We did inform the police to report it, and they did say this does sometimes happen, basically sabotaging the locks to make breaking and entering much easier for the burglars. Back in the 1990s, the idea of home security cameras wasn't really a common thing yet.

Upvote 0
It depends on how much you'd like to invest.

I use Blink branded motion cameras over wifi. Have one in front and one in back. They run on lithium AA batteries and can be moved easily since they aren't wired up. I can access them from anywhere I have an internet connection - usually phone. The sensitivity and zone size can be adjusted as needed so that if you only want to monitor specific areas around their placement they won't detect it. The one on the front of my house will pick up to the street, roughly 100ft. It will also send you notifications when triggered if you want so you have near real-time communication if you weren't expecting activity.

Upvote 0
This maybe specific to the UK. But sometimes properties might be tagged with chalk marks on the pavements, gateposts, or walls. Where properties have apparently been scouted in preparation for potential breaking and entering.

I've heard it called "Da Pinchi Code". And I have seen some of these marks myself on occasions.
dapinchicode.jpeg

Upvote 0
Blink.. on my list and thanks @jhtalisman. I've never considered security. My home sits in an old part of town that is pretty much the slums of town. Through the years most of the properties have become investment rentals and very few homes are occupied by home owners. I never considered any of these properties a target for theft. I just started locking my doors this year. It's not the friendly neighborhood anymore. A lot of people are here and gone within a year and they seem a bit on the shady side. I'm not moving so it's time to up the security. The attempted break in was a wakeup call.

Upvote 0
Back when my wife and i got married we got an apartment I noticed these guys maybe 20 years old always walking through the apartment hallways from time to time, but never going into an apartment. I thought they were up to something. I bought a door reinforcement plate and put it on my door. Then on one New Years Eve we went to a party. We got back around 2am. Three apartments had been broken into. My door reinforcement plate was all bent up, but they never got into my apartment;

I have put one of these plates on every other home I have had.

doorplate2.png

Upvote 0
i love my ring security camera and floodlights.

Reactions: AugieTN and olbriar
Upvote 0
It is offered, but is free if you want.
Here's their explanation :
Is a Blink Subscription Plan required to use my Blink products?
No. Your Blink products provide their standard features (such as motion alerts, live view, and two-way audio) without any subscription. Blink Subscription Plans offer additional features for those who want them.
I have never used their paid plans since day one and never had an issue.
So far they are the only company without a monthly fee out there, and that is why I went with them. Wireless installation and a mobile Blink app is all you really need to be up and running in a flash. This is a screenshot of the Blink app and your cameras in action.
IMG_COM_20231225_0031_22_2421.jpg

With my Google Nest Cameras I pay $80 a year and get a recording when their is activity picked up and it's held for 30 days. If I wanted 24/7 recording and have it held for 60 days it's $150 a year. I'm happy with the $80 a year plan.

Those Blink cameras look like a really good deal and I know a person who has them and he's really happy with Blink

For comparison here are two pics from my Google Nest Cameras

ccard2.png

rvercamera.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It is offered, but is free if you want.
Here's their explanation :
Is a Blink Subscription Plan required to use my Blink products?
No. Your Blink products provide their standard features (such as motion alerts, live view, and two-way audio) without any subscription. Blink Subscription Plans offer additional features for those who want them.
I have never used their paid plans since day one and never had an issue.
So far they are the only company without a monthly fee out there, and that is why I went with them. Wireless installation and a mobile Blink app is all you really need to be up and running in a flash. This is a screenshot of the Blink app and your cameras in action.

It seems like to have a Blink system work properly there is a monthly charge involved? Anyone care to elaborate?
I haven't paid anything aside from the hardware involved. I have 2 entrances, so 2 cameras. You will have to get a kit with a sync module so that they communicate but it should be included when you purchase (double check the package before purchasing).

Upvote 0
Blink.. on my list and thanks @jhtalisman. I've never considered security. My home sits in an old part of town that is pretty much the slums of town. Through the years most of the properties have become investment rentals and very few homes are occupied by home owners. I never considered any of these properties a target for theft. I just started locking my doors this year. It's not the friendly neighborhood anymore. A lot of people are here and gone within a year and they seem a bit on the shady side. I'm not moving so it's time to up the security. The attempted break in was a wakeup call.
I, with everyone else here, am grateful that it was just a wake-up call (that the damage was relatively minor, nothing was taken, and you weren’t home and thus no risk of injury or fearful confrontation.

After they get in, it takes a long, long time to again feel comfortable in your abode.

It’s a sad truism that when neighborhoods flip from owner-occupied to rentals and investment companies, the neighborhood always goes downhill. And it’s a real shame to see it happen to a place where you’ve done so much living, too.

Good luck with the security cams, too.

You may want to consider being a little more annoying and go with an alarm system (WiFi makes these things stupid easy to install nowadays) as a loud outdoor alarm draws more attention than most ne’er-do-wells want. But if you don’t want to be that annoying you can install a system with a proximity system and when someone walks to close, it “talks” to them (Attention: you are being recorded.). And if the initial voice doesn’t scare off the miscreant, the voice tells them to leave the premises or police will be dispatched.

Good luck, kind sir, and a very merry Christmas to as well!

Upvote 0
I use a 8 cam 7 day hard-drive recorder that has onscreen display on my tv set. I am only using 4 cams at the time but can use all four on screen, one at a time in rotation, etc. The system is a hard wire system so there is no worry of security breaches or privacy issues.

I will grab some pics next time I am in the living room.

Upvote 0
I use a 8 cam 7 day hard-drive recorder that has onscreen display on my tv set. I am only using 4 cams at the time but can use all four on screen, one at a time in rotation, etc. The system is a hard wire system so there is no worry of security breaches or privacy issues.

I will grab some pics next time I am in the living room.
Years ago I mowed for a guy that had a fleet of active cameras and a heads up live view on a large screen. It looked very cool. I don't really need the heads up but I need my system to record and store for a few days. Purging dated data for new would be ideal. I'm never away from home more than a few days at a time. I'm interested in your system so please share. Hardwired would not be impossible but not easily achieved. Still an option that is attractive.

Reactions: ocnbrze and AugieTN
Upvote 0
I have vinyl siding and mounted the cams up in the eaves of the roof and ran the wires down by tucking it in the corner trim on the house. From there I ran it under the house to the living room area and bought them up through the floor. You can buy extensions for the cables, I did but have not put up the cams for around the garage yet but will need them for that install.

extension cables/click here

Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0
My home is full brick. It is nearly impossible to mount anything to the brick or to drill through the brick or mortar to access the home. Not impossible but a real problem trying to hardwire anything makes wifi communication attractive. I could mount cameras inside looking at the entry doors as an option. The idea is to capture video of someone breaking in, not alarming me someone suspicious is outside my home. I will not be subscribing to a monitoring service.

Your pics are legit and look great!

Upvote 0
All the more reason to go with the wifi cameras using Blink. My house is all brick except for the eaves around the roof, that's where I mounted my cameras.... Plus Blink is the ONLY company that is totally free from monthly fees. Cameras are motion activated, and will automatically save the video clips, until you decide to delete them.
Again, all with no monthly charges....

Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0
All the more reason to go with the wifi cameras using Blink. My house is all brick except for the eaves around the roof, that's where I mounted my cameras.... Plus Blink is the ONLY company that is totally free from monthly fees. Cameras are motion activated, and will automatically save the video clips, until you decide to delete them.
Again, all with no monthly charges....
WiFi communication via router and then video stored where or on what?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones