• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anybody else loving/hating their naked/bare Eris?

@karib
Yeah I would defiantly not count on being able to reapply the BW. They usually will attract dust particles the second you remove them and it is almost impossible to store them on a dust free surface like they are packaged from the factory so on reapplication I think you will find many dust bubbles an debris under it.

@Ty07allstar
One catch for you to be aware of though is that Zagg (much like all the others that give a lifetime warranty) does not warranty faulty installation issues, only physical damage. To receive your replacement your card is generally charged the full price for the product pending you returning the damaged product to them within 25 days. If you return the damaged product then they refund you all but the $3.95 and you have your replacement. If you do not return the damaged product, or return it with no damage then you are charged the full amount for the replacement.

Upvote 0
@Ty07allstar
One catch for you to be aware of though is that Zagg (much like all the others that give a lifetime warranty) does not warranty faulty installation issues, only physical damage. To receive your replacement your card is generally charged the full price for the product pending you returning the damaged product to them within 25 days. If you return the damaged product then they refund you all but the $3.95 and you have your replacement. If you do not return the damaged product, or return it with no damage then you are charged the full amount for the replacement.

The one side of mine seems like it wasn't cut straight so it doesn't fully stick and sticks up a bit and the one part on the top didn't stick fully for whatever reason. If I need to I'll just stretch it out or something before I return it.

Upvote 0
I just took my case off, which has a few scratches i'm grateful are not on my phone. I like the cheap amazon 10$ cases, but i wanted a new color so i ordered a new one. as i wait for it, I have it naked right now...and it reminds me how frickin sexy it is! I remembered why i got this and not a droid and why i dont need a nexus 1!

Upvote 0
I can watch that vid 50 times, but I won't stop me from putting a screen protector on. The protectors I used(Bodyguardz) on my LG Dare and ZuneHD have had no effect on the screen quality or responsiveness. Tackiness on the LG Dare is noticeable, because with or without the protector, the screen required some force to recognize your touch. But the screen on my Zune is much more responsive to light touches, so tackiness has not been an issue. So for me, it puts me at ease for a small cost and no loss of functionality.

Eris should be here tomorrow and screen protectors in a few days.:D

Upvote 0
Don't understand how people scratch there screens.
Watch this vid.

NO NEED for screen cover,
case .......maybe for dropping protection
And not matter how many times someone comes along and posts that vid, I'll continue to have a screen protector on. Not only has previous experience proven that I require a screen protector but I do not believe everything I see on internet. None of you are going to replace my phone when it is scratched all to hell are you?

Upvote 0
They did the same shyte to the iPhone, put it in a bag of nails and rattled it around and what ever.

I still recommend them. It's more for surface scratches, which can happen (not physical breaks or cracks, those are much harder/rarer) and if it's an anti-glare it helps greatly. Plus, anti-glare tends to do better vs your face oils.

Upvote 0
I can watch that vid 50 times, but I won't stop me from putting a screen protector on. The protectors I used(Bodyguardz) on my LG Dare and ZuneHD have had no effect on the screen quality or responsiveness. Tackiness on the LG Dare is noticeable, because with or without the protector, the screen required some force to recognize your touch. But the screen on my Zune is much more responsive to light touches, so tackiness has not been an issue. So for me, it puts me at ease for a small cost and no loss of functionality.

Eris should be here tomorrow and screen protectors in a few days.:D

I had a an LG dare before this and the screen is totally different, its not glass, I had a screen protector on my Dare because of that.

Upvote 0
And not matter how many times someone comes along and posts that vid, I'll continue to have a screen protector on. Not only has previous experience proven that I require a screen protector but I do not believe everything I see on internet. None of you are going to replace my phone when it is scratched all to hell are you?

Yeah I guess your right , that kid in the vid probably used special effects to help out HTC in there marketing of the phone...;);)

Do you have a case on your phone?
Because thats whats going to save your phone, I'm not sure this phone would bounce more than once if dropped on the driveway from your ear or even pocket. I just bought the otterbox looks sweet..:)

Upvote 0
FWIW, I just removed my screen protector and I'm going naked. I will hold the guy that made the vid responsible for any scratches I get on my screen...

I just took my screen protector off and I'm amazed at how good the screen feels without it! I think I want to attempt to go without one as well.

How has your screen held up the past month or so?

Upvote 0
I just took my screen protector off and I'm amazed at how good the screen feels without it! I think I want to attempt to go without one as well.

How has your screen held up the past month or so?

Welcome to the darkside, you will like it over here.....LOL

Really though when you think about it, we will be getting new phones in a 1 1/2 anyways with our new ever 2 right??? I will be looking to get the next Gen Eris....:)

Upvote 0
IM GOING NAKED! :)
i have the two part holster case from verizon for occasional drops but no screen protector. this is my first capacitive screen phone and i like the way it responds as is.

The screen protector (the verizon one) is what kept me from getting an Eris right away. My wife's had one on it, and I was constantly pushing the wrong button, not registering taps, etc. The plan was we'd get hers for Christmas, then I'd get mine later after I'd had time to play with hers. I hated the non-responsiveness. Then I read on the 'net that the capacitive screen worked better with bare skin touching it, I took hers off, and it was like a different phone. Coming from a winmo background with easy to scratch screens I'm very uncomfortable running it naked, but it works so much better. My prudent side will likely get the best of me and I'll put one on, but it's a hard decision. That's why I'm enjoying this thread. I'm getting opinions from others who are having to make the same choice.

Upvote 0
I personally use this cover. Its awesome, covers the whole phones, but you can't even tell it's on there. It looks like the phone is still naked. Check it out.

ZAGG | invisibleSHIELD | HTC Droid Eris Cases, Screen Protectors, Covers, Shields, Skins, Invisible Shield

Make sure to watch the youtube video on the page as well with the demo.

I had the Zagg on my omnia. I loved it, but it did cause Swype to have some problems. I loved the way it felt. It was a bear to put on, I gave up and let my wife do it, she has more patience than I do. How does it affect the responsiveness of the screen for you?

Upvote 0
I personally like the Eris as is, but I am very accident prone so this phone will not be "naked". I will be doing a couple of mini-reviews in the following days for some cases I've purchased: 1. is a semi-hard case from ebay that was $8 and 2. is the full body skin from Phantom Skinz.

I've been known to drop a phone or two. I found a new kind of silicone case, it's called a silicone crystal case. It isn't like the 'rubbery" ones, it's a little more rigid. Amazon.com: For HTC Droid Eris 6200 Crystal Silicone Case Smoke: Electronics It obviously changes the form factor, but I was finding it to slip out of my hands while using it totally naked. I like the feel of this case. And it doesn't grab like the regular silicone cases when taking it out of a pocket. And since it is partially clear (mine is blue, but still a bit see through) it looks really cool.

Upvote 0
I bought mine cause the price and sense ui

i would rather it be the size of the droid.

My problem with the Droid wasn't the size, I didn't really find it to be too big. My problem with it was the boxiness. It just looks UGLY in my opinion. It boggles my mind that a company that introduced the Razor defaulted to a design that looks like it belongs with the brick phones of the 80's. They could have rounded the corners or something! :)

Upvote 0
Yeah I guess your right , that kid in the vid probably used special effects to help out HTC in there marketing of the phone...;);)

Do you have a case on your phone?
Because thats whats going to save your phone, I'm not sure this phone would bounce more than once if dropped on the driveway from your ear or even pocket. I just bought the otterbox looks sweet..:)

While I don't recommend trying it, I dropped mine the 2nd day I had it. Had it in my hand when the 4year old had to have her shoe tied. As I bent down to do it I hit my elbow on the car door, dropped the phone from approximately shoulder height onto the concrete floor. It landed face down, bounced up, then hit the side, and onto the back. It was like watching it in slow motion. The only damage was in the lower right corner of the casing there was a little bit of abrasion.

Upvote 0
The screen protector (the verizon one) is what kept me from getting an Eris right away. My wife's had one on it, and I was constantly pushing the wrong button, not registering taps, etc. The plan was we'd get hers for Christmas, then I'd get mine later after I'd had time to play with hers. I hated the non-responsiveness. Then I read on the 'net that the capacitive screen worked better with bare skin touching it, I took hers off, and it was like a different phone. Coming from a winmo background with easy to scratch screens I'm very uncomfortable running it naked, but it works so much better. My prudent side will likely get the best of me and I'll put one on, but it's a hard decision. That's why I'm enjoying this thread. I'm getting opinions from others who are having to make the same choice.

I agree. It's a completely different phone without the screen cover. Unbelievable difference.

Upvote 0
To each his own, but the sensual pleasure of the naked Eris outweighs the slight risk of damage from the average user. If I had wanted something bulkier, I would have gone with the MOT Droid. Naked, the Eris fits easily in my pockets, feels great in my hand and has a very responsive screen. I seem to drop encased phones fairly frequently - not so my Eris.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones