• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone going to get the thunderbolt?

Hearing about unlimited LTE with the Thunderbolt....it just become a lil more interesting. lol Do I get one and hope I get grandfathered into unlimited LTE? When will unlimited LTE end?

Thats the only thing making me want a Thunderbolt. Now I hear the DX 2 might be 4G...that instantly became on my radar. And playing with GB on my X, I like Blur more now. Been using the stock launcher and everything.

I got an upgrade available now, I can use it on the Thunderbolt, and get another phone I really want retail. I could just charge it to my phone bill like I did with the X....that wound up being paid off in about 3-4 months. Who knows, I might get the Thunderbolt and stick with it. Unlimited LTE ....need to find out more about this.

And all this is if I even stay with Verizon...lol Might be leaving them in a few months.

Upvote 0
were you holding the button down halfway to autofocus first?
if I do that, then taking the picture is only a second.

the Tbolt doesn't have a button, so touching the screen means autofocus and picture taking is all in one, which is a good 2+ seconds.

actually just holding the phone still auto brings the camera into focus for you. makes for instant pics. which are truly better than my x in quality.
not trolling i still like my x but my bolt is the shiz!

Upvote 0
HA!!! Good to hear. In the lounge (where I've been hanging out for the most part) they were saying HTC followed suit along with Moto and locked down their newer devices (T-Bolt and EVO-Shift) the same way the DX/D2 is locked down. That really bummed me out, because I'm looking towards HTC for my next device. Since I have absolutely no faith in Moto to unlock any future device they come out with, HTC seems like the best choice to me.

The Thunderbolt is a awesome device. A lot of people (here especially) dismissed it when the press release came out, saying it wasn't improved enough to switch from their DX to it. But from what I experienced while playing with it, it is absolutely worth going to if you have an upgrade available.

As I stated I'm not switching over to one just yet because I too wasn't all that impressed with the spec sheet of the T-Bolt. But now that I've played with one I have to say that spec sheets don't do a device justice. So I'm going to play around with a bunch of devices that may or may not have impressed me on paper and see which one impresses me the most in the palm of my hand.

I'm sure you're enjoying your new toy JReed!

perhaps this will help you to make a decision. i am rooted and running bamf's 1.5 ulv kernal. i scored 2785 on quadrant. i keep it on 1.2 and since its ulv my battery life is good. still hit 25@@ check out the root section its really coming together:)

there are some hitting 2900! probably set to performance though. there are 1.8 kernals but i couldnt imagine needing to have that much power!!

Upvote 0
I'll be keeping my "X" until I can get LTE service in my area. I'm in Honolulu and they do have 4G at the airport but I'm 15-17 miles away. They expect to have LTE in Honolulu sometime mid to late 2011, and since I'm not due for an upgrade until 3/12 (I got my "X" on launch day) That'll be the earliest I can/will upgrade. If I was upgrading in the near future, I would probably wait for the Bionic. But I'm sure by the time 3/12 comes around there will be some wonderful 4G phones for sale. Like maybe the Droid Viper.

Upvote 0
Gingerbread on my Droid X is pretty smooth. I am impressed. Almost as smooth as my Thunderbolt. Did some Quandrant runs:

Droid X - 1850 - highest I got
Thunderbolt - Just got 1870

Very impressive. I remember I got 1400ish on Froyo with DX so thats a 400 point increase! The TB with GB might get 2100!

Upvote 0
I want to hear more about this 'unlimited 4g' mumbo jumbo that's spreading around the internet having to do with the 'Thunderbolt'... is Verizon tempting us into getting that device by offering unlimited data if you get it? Having an upgrade available as of TODAY that would be a condition that could very well sway me over to the dark side.

I've been saying that I'm planning on holding on to my unlimited 3G plan for as long as I can until they tell me there is no more 3G and I HAVE to upgrade to the capped 4G plans. Not because I'm against 4G.... that's not it at all. Playing with my buddies T-Bolt gave me a huge appreciation for what 4G is going to bring us. Because we're not even in a 4G area here, so as fast as it is, I know I didn't see it hit anywhere near as fast as it can go.

But I'm just thinking to myself... when 4G does reach this area, then inevitabily you know content is going to start to swell. In other words, when you have a 4G device you're no longer going to be choosing to download video's at 240 resolution. You're going to be downloading them in 480, 720 or 1080p if it's available. Because you're phone will be able to stream it immediatelly. Which means we'll be consuming a lot more data.

And I already consume a lot of data. So once 4G is here, there and everywhere, I'm going to REALLY be consuming a lot of data! So taking all of that into consideration... if this rumor is true about grandfathering into unlimited 4G with the T-Bolt, I'd most certainly have to seriously consider doing so. It would save me a lot of money in the future. It may not be the huge leap forward I was saving my upgrade up for. But from what I gathered while tinkering with it, I know I'd be happy with it.

Guess I need to have a talk with Verizon today.

Upvote 0
^^ the unlimited data part is true. i made sure before i got my thunderbolt. not only that but best of all is that i have unlimited 4g data for 9.99 a month!! :)

yep thats right. if you were lucky enough to get on the unlimited data discount (not unlimited 3g discount as some call it)promotion a while back it carries over to 4g! confirmed by both the rep i ordered from as well as my first billing statement since ordering!
i have it untill 2038!

Upvote 0
I returned the TB for iPhone 4. Now I have both an iPhone 4 and Droid X.

The TB's 3G data disconnected randomly sometimes, battery life kinda sucked, screen wasn't too bright, and the design to me was uninspiring actually.

It isn't an iconic design like iPhone 4 or DX.

Yeah but you can't pull 26mbps download speeds on either of them

Upvote 0
^^ the unlimited data part is true. i made sure before i got my thunderbolt. not only that but best of all is that i have unlimited 4g data for 9.99 a month!! :)

yep thats right. if you were lucky enough to get on the unlimited data discount (not unlimited 3g discount as some call it)promotion a while back it carries over to 4g! confirmed by both the rep i ordered from as well as my first billing statement since ordering!
i have it untill 2038!

See this is what I was worried about. I currently have unlimited data, text, and 900 minutes + 5 friends and fam. With work discount and that promotion my bill is something like 82 bucks.

So you mean to tell me that if I upgrade to the Tbolt (as I recently bought my DX off ebay) and do a contract extension then that promotion rate carries over to the 4g unlimited plan? My upgrade is due in June, so I might just buy a Tbolt just to have it. I'm honestly in love with the X right now. Have it rooted/modded just the way I want now.

Which leads to my other question. If I got a Tbolt, could I just leave it in the box and continue to use my X while still being locked into an unlimited 4G plan?

Upvote 0
Maybe someone here can help with this, but as far as dual core goes, I have the xoom and there are several apps that run like CRAP on it. I've heard that that its because the apps have to be written to make use of the dual core. I don't know if there is any truth to that. A specific example is PDF's. PDF's are butter smooth on my X, but stutter really bad on my xoom. I even bought the new version of quickoffice HD thinking that was going to be optimized for the dual core processor. No difference in scrolling performance. There are several others that are like this. They work great on my X, but perform like crap on my xoom. On the other hand, browsing, pictures, 3d games, and video are much better than my X is. I guess the possibilities are:

1 - not optimized for the dual core processor
2 - not optimized for Honeycomb
3 - Something about nvidia not releasing purevideo drivers (for HD videos)

My point is that as excited as I am for multicore processors to take off, It might be a little bit before everything runs correctly. I know that it will all work out in the end, but for those who think that EVERYTHING you do on it will be much faster on launch day, I can tell you that not everything is running perfect yet. If you already knew that and are willing to accept that, then I think you will enjoy the speed you get on the apps that do work correctly. But then again, this could all be a honeycomb issue not the dual core issue. Someone else might be able to give more details on this than I can. Just something to consider.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones