• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Anyone have trouble rooting MM MRA58K?

Outatime

Android Expert
Mar 6, 2010
I've done this twice now and failed both times.

I am not using the OTA version. I flashed MRA58K via Wugs from the Nexus OS webpage.

After doing so, I updated Wugs. My bootloader is still unlocked. I went to root. Get the three files pushed. Use TWRP to flash them in the correct sequence. Go to reboot the phone. It hangs on the Android animation. And I mean hangs. I left it go for an hour the last time I did it before I gave up. I can re-flash back to MRA58K with no problem at all.

I guess I have a stupid question in relation to this... custom ROMs are starting to come out based upon MM. Can I flash them in TWRP with an unlocked bootloader but an unrooted ROM? I never tried to do that before.

Edit: I didn't realize this before, I can't get in to TWRP as it sits. I wonder if locking and unlocking the bootloader, then going through the whole process again would clear things up.

Last edited:
Well I solved this! When I was rooting and flashing TWRP, it got to the TWRP boot. I never really paid attention, the first thing it does is asks you if you want the recovery section to be read only. I was never changing that and just swiping. Last night I told it to put it into read only mode. Everything worked like a charm. Just wanted to update this in case someone was having a similar issue.

Reactions: Chairshot215
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones