• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Anyone recommend Clingo Car Mount

Absolutly brilliant until it got hot from the sun and now the green sticky pad is so "super sticky" it tear's as you try to remove your mobile from it.:mad:
Agree, I noticed this summer using it that it is "super sticky" after I washed it & I practically have to use vice grips to get it off. Almost sprained a finger getting it off.

Upvote 0
Agree, I noticed this summer using it that it is "super sticky" after I washed it & I practically have to use vice grips to get it off. Almost sprained a finger getting it off.

After a couple of days in the car in the summer heat the pad became too sticky and leaves traces of the sticky residue on the back of the phone every time when I remove it.
I tried to wash it, I tried to put it into the freezer but no avail. It still leaves nasty sticky stuff on my phone.
I guess it'll come back to normal in fall-winter but for now it just feels nasty.

Upvote 0
After a couple of days in the car in the summer heat the pad became too sticky and leaves traces of the sticky residue on the back of the phone every time when I remove it.
I tried to wash it, I tried to put it into the freezer but no avail. It still leaves nasty sticky stuff on my phone.
I guess it'll come back to normal in fall-winter but for now it just feels nasty.
Agreed, it does not do well in summer. I threw mine away when it took me 10 minutes and one broken finger nail to peal my phone off the Clingo. Currently shopping for a new phone mount.
Pity, they had a great idea and looks fantastic, just intense summer heat killed this product for me.

Upvote 0
Hi,

Firstly thank you for purchasing a Clingo product.

We are naturally disappointed that you have experienced a problem with the Clingo material on your unit. We have experienced a small number of units, less than 0.5% where the polymer has degraded due to heat. We have made some adjustments to the gel and will continue to improve the polymer in order to prevent a repeat.

If you email me your postal address I will immediately send you out a replacement cradle unit (the section that attaches to your phone).

Regards

[FONT=&quot]Daniel[/FONT]
Daniel Farinha
Regional Sales Manager
Allsop Europe Ltd
IDA Industrial Park
Cork Road
Waterford
Ireland
www.allsop.eu
www.clingobyallsop.eu

Tel: +353 (0) 51 334 845
Fax: +353 (0)51 377 717
Email: daniel.farinha@allsop.eu

Upvote 0
This item I bought 2 months ago.
I work for a shop that sells these too.
The green 'gel' uses quantum force, same as the gecko lizard, to hold onto things. I found it left no residue at first and was very strongly sticky when attached to ridged plastic. It's no good on flexible silicone skins. But this is normal.

After a few weeks I noticed that dust, pollen, etc. settling on the green caused the material to become far less sticky so I submerged the end into luke-warm water with a touch of washing up liquid for a while. Dried it off and it was back to normal.

But after a period of sunny weather, I began to notice that pulling it off my phone seems to need more force. It is also leaving a fine sticky residue on the back of my phone.

I suspect this may be due to bacteria film perhaps growing on the green or perhaps a reaction to the sun?
I've asked Clingo for an explanation and am waiting for an answer.

I also had one customer in the shop returning a Clingo due to the same heavy residue left on the back of his phone.

Mine isn't that bad and I think a touch of citrus sticky stuff remover liquid will remove it safely (it did!).

UPDATE: Sept 2012

Regarding the sticky mess. I contacted Clingo and was told about and sent a new replacement pad free of charge.

The new item is a touch less sticky when warm and doesn't leave a residue.
The item surface looks far more transparent and so less intense green at the edges.

Works great now!

See image of the new one below.

imag0256.jpg

Upvote 0
yes i used it...it was great for the first little while...(month or two) now it will not hold the phone...i say go with the arms not the sticky pad...my daughter had the same issue...after the first wash it is not able to hold...and in the heat it is even worse:(

Sounds like you've got the original sticky surface which got recalled.
Contact the company and get a free replacement like I did.

The original pad looks dark green and leaves a sticky residue on the back of the phone in hot weather.
The new pad looks lighter green and the edges are semi-transparent, unlike the original.

BTW,
I've now had my pad for 12 months and it's seriously less sticky despite washing it with a spot of Fairy Liquid Platinum washing up liquid every month.

I suspect I used too strong a washing up liquid. :mad:

Something to watch out for....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones