• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone Using Swype? What Do You Think.

I used Swype for a couple weeks and it really hooked me with how fast I could get a message out. But at the same time I would be pulling my hair out after realizing I got a word wrong three words back. The delete key is too close to the return key for my thumb and I would often suddenly be three paragraph spaces below my text when trying to delete words or characters.

So I tried out ShapeWriter and it's such a smoother experience. There's no pop up menu for word suggestion, the bar is unintrusive and adding words is really easy too. I find myself deleting less, which means it's either more accurate or the keyboard layout is easier for me to be accurate. It's disappointing ShapeWriter is being discontinued, hopefully it can get picked up again down the road and become a real rival for Swype.

Go to... Swype | Text Input for Screens ... and watch the video about word correction.

Upvote 0
I'll say this: adding words to the dictionary SUCKS with Swype. You have to actually highlight the word. If the cursor is just beside/inside the word and I hit the Swype button, I get the big "You just hit the Swype button!" dialog with Tutorial/Options/More. With ShapeWriter I could manually type a word and just hit the word selection bar and bam. New word.

Upvote 0
I'll say this: adding words to the dictionary SUCKS with Swype. You have to actually highlight the word. If the cursor is just beside/inside the word and I hit the Swype button, I get the big "You just hit the Swype button!" dialog with Tutorial/Options/More. With ShapeWriter I could manually type a word and just hit the word selection bar and bam. New word.

You're doing it wrong. In Swype all you have to do is type the word and then hit the space key and it's saved in the dictionary.

Upvote 0
Well that's no good either. I don't want everything I type to add to the dictionary, sometimes I feel like purposefully abusing slang or misspellings for comedic effect, and now I'll have things like "haet" or "mouf" in the dictionary to start showing up when Swype doesn't feel like giving me the popup window? Not a fan, not a fan.

Upvote 0
Any replacement keyboard is going to have this warning.

If I saw a replacement keyboard with the security requirement that it allowed full internet access I would think that would be cause for alarm.

The Swype installer requires internet access to download the keyboard application, that's all though. The keyboard app itself has no communication privileges. Once it's installed, one can uninstall the downloader.

I recall it stating it can capture text, passwords etc. Did I miss something in the fine print? This was the same for ShapeWriter as well. As soon as I saw this, I did not install either.

Upvote 0
Swype is a nice functional bridge for no keyboard. I wish the dev would hurry and put it in the market to buy, so I can stay honest. Dev deserves my dollars.

I would love to see the spelling algorithm, since it if very efficient. Me thinks it is held close and protected.

Still, I wish the microphone for speech to text was on the Swype interface, rather than having to change input method.

Upvote 0
Well that's no good either. I don't want everything I type to add to the dictionary, sometimes I feel like purposefully abusing slang or misspellings for comedic effect, and now I'll have things like "haet" or "mouf" in the dictionary to start showing up when Swype doesn't feel like giving me the popup window? Not a fan, not a fan.
If you don't want to add it to the dictionary, then select the word you typed from the pop-up box and it will not add it to the dictionary.

[edit]oops, I was incorrect, selecting word from popup also adds word to dictionary.

Reactions: Rarewolf
Upvote 0
It's better with longer words. Shorter words can have some difficulty. Other times you have to swype around letters you DON'T want to get the word you want

For instance, if I swype the word "pretty" it will inevitably come up with "perry" (all the letters are on the same row of the keyboard) so I have to duck around letters to get it right. Or I'll get "utah" instead of "yeah". Which one do you think is more commonly used?

I wish there were some way to edit the stock dictionary. Perry IS a word but I never consume effervescent pear-based drinks, much less text about them frequently :)

That said, overall I think it's definitely faster than stock... HTC's keyboard comes up with some unique non-words as well.

I find that if I don't look at the Swype keyboard and just go to town, I am faster and just as accurate... still have to go back and correct something every now and then but I don't find myself paying attention to mis-spellings until the very end when the message is on the "cutting floor".

S

Upvote 0
If you don't want to add it to the dictionary, then select the word you typed from the pop-up box and it will not add it to the dictionary.

[edit]oops, I was incorrect, selecting word from popup also adds word to dictionary.

Uhm, I believe if the word is in the popup box that pretty much indicates that it was already in the dictionary. :)

Upvote 0
I'd like to try it, but ShapeWriter is off the market for now (as of June 20). I like Swype a lot--typing is really hard for me on these little virtual keyboards (altho the Incredible's keyboard is much MUCH better than the BlackBerry Storm). When I wanted Swype, it wasn't available from the Android Market--only in Beta. So I set my Incredible to accept non-market apps, and got a pirated version of the Swype Beta from a reliable person on this list. Then, uh-oh, my pirated Swype Beta expired! I tried to go back to the vanilla keyboard. It was painful! So I wrote to the Swype guys and begged them to let me join the Swype Beta as a legitimate tester. They did. Now i think they're letting more people in. I loooove Swype and they're nice, nice people.

Upvote 0
I don't know if its just me... but i look forward to texting, i don't know if its using SWYPE, or using it in order to practice/master the technic so i can increase my speed. i always liked using voice-to-text, but now i take on the keyboard SWYPE-ING. It seems like its taking on a life of its own!!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones