• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help anyone with GPS issues after 2.2 update?

Leonard1818

Android Enthusiast
Oct 13, 2010
Hey everyone. Used my navi to get to my parents new house yesterday. Updated to 2.2 last night. Tried gps and we're back to "searching for gps..." indefinately.

I just re-downloaded GPS TEST and GPS Status apps so I can clear "a gps" data like I used to have to do.

Question though, am I the only one having this problem? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

GPS is as slow as ever- nearly non functional with 2.2- no worse than 2.1 but no better. My GPS status which locked on sats within 10 -20 seconds on 2.1 and allowed the Google nav and maps to function beautifully within 2 meters accuracy no longer works on 2.2. I need a sat locator like GPS status that will allow the stock nav to work.

Upvote 0
Mine is superb once I learned that WiFi needs to be on for maps/nav to work- GPS status is not really needed- nice to keep around for speed and altitude.

Questions-WiFi needs to be on? Even while driving and there are no hotspots? That's odd-
Anyway-while you are driving WiFi is on and the stock GPS lock onto the satellites? I'll try this too.

Upvote 0
Questions-WiFi needs to be on? Even while driving and there are no hotspots? That's odd-
Anyway-while you are driving WiFi is on and the stock GPS lock onto the satellites? I'll try this too.

Seems rather counterintuive that GPS needs WiFi to work yet there is no WF signal in many areas zipping down the freeway. My GPS has never lost signal whilst navigating either with 2.1 (GPS status appp was needed to lock sattelites) or with 2.2 (stock GPS/Maps lock nicely withut GPS status app). I am impressed as long as GPS and WiFi are on. I still use GPS status which is a great compass and altimeter. It also needs WiFi on to lock satellites on 2.2 and never needed it on 2.1- it was the only way for me to get a GPS signal. Now Wifi is the only way to get a signal- not complaining- I am just glad it works.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones