1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General APN Settings

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by hippocrits, Mar 2, 2016.

1. hippocrits

hippocrits Newbie
    None

Feb 27, 2016
    This is sort of a noobish question, however after recently receiving a Galaxy S6 Edge I've SIM unlocked it and threw AT&T on it to be my main carrier.
    However, when I try to use my data it doesn't work, so I'm guessing there's something up with my access points.

Tagging you because you might be my only solution - @scary alien
    Thanks!

Advertisement

2. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    Sorry, @hippocrits, but I've honestly no idea about this :(.

Not much personal experience with carrier switching with regard to SIM unlocking, etc...

3. hippocrits

hippocrits Newbie
    None

Feb 27, 2016
    It's fine, :(
    Nothing in regards to SIM unlocking, though :p

scary alien likes this.
  4. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    Yeah, sorry--didn't mean to mis-characterize what you were asking about :oops: (data not working)...

There's a ton of folk on here that I'm sure will have some ideas and solutions for you...maybe post in the Carrier area, too (i.e., the AT&T one)?

Best of luck! :)

5. Snakeyeskm

Snakeyeskm Android Expert

Apr 8, 2014
    Male
    Investment Banking
    US
    AT&T uses GSM and as such they are issues and switching from a CDMA system. The following might help you: –

AT&T phones
    [​IMG]

• GSM carrier
    • Phones should be compatible with T-Mobile Network
    • Phones can't be used on Sprint and Verizon networks (unless global)
    • 2G: 850MHz and 1900MHz frequencies
    • 3G: 850MHz and 1900MHz frequencies
    • 4G (LTE): 700Mhz (bands 17 and 29), 850MHz (band 5), 1700 MHz (band 4), 1900MHz (band 2) and 2100MHz (band 4)
    AT&T uses a GSM network, meaning its phones all come with a SIM card. In theory, you should be able to take your AT&T-branded device to fellow GSM network T-Mobile. For the most part this holds true, although there is the odd exception - so be mindful.

Note that T-Mobile and AT&T operate over different frequencies. Some of them overlap, but not all. This means that, while your phone may ‘work’ when going from one to another, you may suffer diminished reception, as your device may not be compatible with all the frequencies utilized by whichever network you have switched to.

Phones sold through AT&T are locked to its network. You can request an unlock code, but you need to fit the criteria:

• It must be paid off in full, and not still on contract or a payment plan
    • It is not currently active on a different AT&T customer’s account
    • If you performed an early-upgrade, you must wait a 14 day ‘buyer’s remorse period’ before you can request an unlock to your previous device
    • It must not be associated with fraudulent activity, reported lost, or reported stolen
    • Post-paid customers must have an account that has been active for at least 60 days, with no past due or unpaid balance
    • Prepaid devices must have been active for at least six months of paid service
    AT&T reserves the right to amend this unlocking policy at any time without advance notice.

scary alien likes this.
  6. hippocrits

hippocrits Newbie
    None

Feb 27, 2016
    I know, however it works on several other phones.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge

The Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge was released in 2015, and offered a curved display versus the standard flat panel found in the standard Galaxy S6. The device features a 5.1-inch display, 3GB of RAM, up to 128GB of storage, and a 16MP rear-facing camera.