• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

App locker safe mode work around

Greetings Andriod Forums!

Phone: Moto X
Andriod version: 4.4.4

The common problem with most app blockers or locks is that running in safe mode disables them. So, if you wanted to block something like Google search or another stock app with the app blocker, to protect your kids from free unrestricted internet, you are hosed if they find out how to access safe mode.

I would like to know if the community knows of an app blocker that runs, or can be made to run in safe mode.

If rooting is required to allow this, then I know the first thing I need is an unlockable bootloader, followed by nandriod in order to perform a stock rooted backup, then SuperSU or equivalent to get cracking. Can you guys lead me in the direction of a trusted unlocked or unlockable bootloader?

My noobness shows. Thank you for your help.

You don't seem nooby at all
The only way I know would be to root and install the locker app as a system app (in the folder /system/app (and I'm not sure if it would run as a system app but worth a try and maybe someone else knows?
System apps should keep running in safe mode
@scary alien would this work mate

This won't require an unlocked bootloader or custom recovery as far as I know so ask in the root section of the moto x forum for the best way to root

Upvote 0
Awesome, thanks for your post.

I went on the XDA Developers Subforum for the Moto X, and that is what I found, but a Moto X specific forum would definitely be a good idea as a second source.

Sure, having the app locker (Smart App Protector Lock) as an app in the system folder should hopefully rebadge this app so that it is not identified as a third party app.

I know I might also be able to root and edit the code that activates the safe mode prompt in the first place:

- If power prompt is held down longer than 1 second
- Then display Safe Mode Reboot "yes, no" prompt window

I know that is totally simplified, but if I could change that to

- If power prompt is held down longer than 1 second
- Then display power off "yes, no" prompt window

So as to mimic what happens when the power prompt is tapped.

This may not be possible to do, and not having a safe mode is risky business.

Upvote 0
Check out "Screen Time Parental Control"

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.screentime.rc

Before Google kicked the app out of the store over the way it handled admin passwords, this was easy to set up and hard to get around. This newest version requires that you go to their servers to complete set up.

Drop the dev a line, see if they have safe mode covered, if anything does, this will.

Best kids endorsement going - "When I get old enough, I'm going to sue you!" :D

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones