• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Application Development and Development 101

1) Yep, Announcements was intentionally put in more than one place for redundancy.

The one under app dev would be the same "App Announcements" (but that leaves out game announcements).

But yeah I intended it as a "link" So I think we agree here :D I just tried to hide vBulletin's [LINK] stuff
So like this?
Application Development
- Link: App Announcements
- Link: Game Announcements

2) Have to disagree here, most of the content of that forum is about audio and video apps. Ringtones are the only things that are theme related.
Fair enough, I don't spend too much time in that forum.:rolleyes:
3) No objections - though I would drop the "live" and make it just "Wallpapers" or make it "Wallpapers and Live Wallpapers"
I vote for simple "Wallpapers." To the larger point, these don't really have a defined home. I see them all the time in themes and App Announcements. And they fit naturally in both places. Seems the folks making these and the folks looking for these would be better served if they were in one spot.
4) I think a bunch of stickys with links would be helpful, but I'd suggest not using the "forum link" as it creates a lot of clutter. (just my opinion)
Could you expand on this? I'm not sure I understand what your getting at.

5) I am not sure. Maybe a separate conversation. But I like the idea.

I should have mentioned in my post I like the idea of getting rid of "Roms by joe" and "joe's Roms" and just identify the developer's name or the team's name. I think folks know there going there for roms and related stuff.

Reactions: alostpacket
Upvote 0
So like this?
Application Development
- Link: App Announcements
- Link: Game Announcements

Exactly, except without the word "link" - I want them to function like a link but not look like a link.

This is basically what I mean by #4 too -- rather than using the forum link redirect, I think a temporary sticky in the parent forum would be better. Like a sticky explaining "Enterprise" has been moved.

We could then take it down after a month or two when users got used to the new layout. I expect that we might need a few of these.

Reactions: Unforgiven
Upvote 0
I like this new idea a lot. ALP has cropped the description for a couple forums (which is great IMO), but I think the Games section should be changed from this:

Whether free or paid, put Games on your Android Phone and play them! Talk about, share and discuss games for Android here.
to this:
Whether free or paid, put Games on your Android Phone and play them! Discuss games for Android here.

The "share" isn't exactly needed IMO, plus the description would fit on two lines instead of three. ;)

Also, I know that developers like to have their own forum, but since ROMs are device specific, I don't think the custom ROMs subforum should be up there. Users don't even know what phone those guys are developing for! IMO, the section should be way down, but with links in the concerned devices' forums (not "forum links", but a link in a sticky or something like that).

Reactions: alostpacket
Upvote 0
I like this new idea a lot. ALP has cropped the description for a couple forums (which is great IMO), but I think the Games section should be changed from this:

to this:

The "share" isn't exactly needed IMO, plus the description would fit on two lines instead of three. ;)

Agree with this 100% :)

Plus "share" could be misconstrued as "plz can sum1 post apk??!?!"

I just wanted to avoid editing content/style much and went for just pruning the ends of descriptions that were redundant mentions of announcements, etc.

Also, I know that developers like to have their own forum, but since ROMs are device specific, I don't think the custom ROMs subforum should be up there. Users don't even know what phone those guys are developing for! IMO, the section should be way down, but with links in the concerned devices' forums (not "forum links", but a link in a sticky or something like that).

This is an excellent point! Would those forums benefit from being re-parented to existing ATR forums?

I think the "General ROM development" forum might be helpful as something that should stay near themes and app dev though. Then maybe stickies or "re-direct subforum links" for the specific ROM groups.

EDIT: we could also of course allow the dev to ask to have his ROM forum moved if he/she changes phones etc. probably?

Upvote 0
Nothing has been done if that's what you mean. Looks like a fair bit to sort though. I really like the thought process behind it though, and do plan to implement some or all of these changes. If someone could kindly catch me up to speed with what everyone seems to agree on, and what seems to be debated still, that'd be nice. I like how ALP provided a visual to make it nice and easy.

Either way, I'll be coming back to this. Just wanted to let everyone hash it out and let a consensus be made before I start to think too hard on it.

Upvote 0
Here is my crack at it.:)

Android Lounge
(285 Viewing)

A place for general Android discussion and questions.

Applications (discussion) (660 Viewing)
All the information you could ever want about Android Applications. Learn about apps and get help with them... all here!
subforum_new.gif
Audio, Video, & Ringtones,
subforum_new.gif
App Reviews,
subforum_new.gif
Announcements

Android Games (319 Viewing)
Whether free or paid, put Games on your Android Phone and play them! Talk about, share and discuss games for Android here.
subforum_new.gif
Game Reviews,
subforum_new.gif
Post Your Codes,
subforum_new.gif
Announcements

Application Development (121 Viewing)
Dev Lounge for the Coder Folks
subforum_new.gif
Game Announcements,
subforum_new.gif
App Announcements,
subforum_new.gif
Beta Tests
subforum_new.gif
(MIT) App Inventor,
subforum_new.gif
Enterprise
subforum_new.gif
Job Listings
****Note: Game And App Announcements as a link to the subs in their respective forums with out the link prefix****

Android Themes (66 Viewing)
Customize the look/feel of your Android with wallpaper, icons, graphics and more!
subforum_new.gif
Wallpapers

Custom ROMs (3 Viewing)
subforum_new.gif
Bionx
subforum_old.gif
bearsfan85
subforum_new.gif
death2all110
subforum_new.gif
Diablo67's Roms & Customs
subforum_new.gif
Enigma
subforum_old.gif
GalnetMIUI
subforum_new.gif
Getitnowmarketing
subforum_new.gif
Indiedevers
subforum_old.gif
liquid0624
subforum_new.gif
NoLiMiT06's Devland
subforum_new.gif
PlayfulGod [] scrosler [] smurfland [] StormDroid [] Team boLTEd [] Team Nocturnal [] Techno [] Velocity [] Virtuous [ ] Ziggy & Mobstergunz

I think this is where we are at. Below are alotpackets words, but in my editing I lost the quote tag. Additional thoughts after this I've included at the end
Here's what I did:

1) Re-parented Android Enterprise to app dev (not 100% sure on this one).

2) Removed Accessories completely as these tend to be device specific and mostly talked about in device forums. However, this could maybe go under the Android Lounge with Enterprise.

3) Removed the word "sub-forums" as it's already implied. The word "sections" or even a little arrow would work here too IMHO. Less is more (also see #5)

4) Removed "ROMS" from any custom ROM group name (would need permission from them of course, but I think if we ask nicely that would be OK).

5) Removed "link" from the name of any subforums, but was hoping they would still link in the same manner. (Not sure if this is possible). Essentially removed all vBulletin "link" indicators. I think this is unimportant info for a user and provides clutter. The concept and utility of a link is great though. It is just that I dont think users need to have an indication of the magic under the hood. (<- love mixed metaphors).

6) Merged app dev 101 into regular app dev forum.

7) Removed one folder image just for this "mockup" because of the 31 image per post limit.

8) Shortened a few of the forum descriptions. (Mostly removing a sentence from the end referring to announcements, etc)

9) Changed "Beta Testing" to "Beta Tests" (more in line with the language style eg "announcements" )

10) Re-parented & renamed Android Media under Android applications -- because the main App forum gets many, many media questions, I was hoping this would give it better visibility and utility.

11) Made separate Game Announcements and App announcement forums

12) Re-parented Job listings to App dev (could be a link)
Additions to what alp said:

• Added a forum for Wallpapers under Themes as Live Wallpapers are mixed between Themes and Applications Announcements so this would give them a single home like Apps and Games.
  • Added links for both Applications Announcements and Game Announcements under Application Development
This condensed version is about the same vertical size as Android Discussion is now, but to me anyway, is clear, simple, and intuitive with the benefit of not pushing the device forums down the page.

The only major thread move efforts I see are:

• Accessories - this one is probably going to be the most difficult as each of the nearly 500 threads will need to be individually reviewed for a move to a device forum and prefixed, and some would probably need some discussion before hand as to where they should go (probably some moderation as well).
  • App Announcements - 3000+ threads, but the forum wouldn't be going away, so we have more leeway here. We could move this to Android Apps and begin by moving the last three months of games/live wallpapers to their respective forums and pick away at the rest as time allows.
  • Live Wallpapers - In addition to the ones in app announcements, these would need to be cleaned out of themes and other places they are scattered around the forums. Like app announcements, we could clean up 3 months or so of themes and pick away at the rest as time allows.
The only loose end as I understand is what to do long term with Custom Roms. I wondered if any aged ones could / should be archived and Das suggested moving them into the device forums. I think I agree with alostpacket that maybe best handled in a separate conversation.

Reactions: jonbonazza
Upvote 0
I also just want to stress that moving the application announcements forum is something that really needs to be done. Since I frequent the Dev, Apps, and Games forums most often, I move a lot of threads to the App Announcements forums, and every time I do so, The thought that it would loose a lot of feedback crosses my mind. Devs aren't the ones that should be reviewing the apps and providing their feedback, but the users are. I honestly have no idea why the App Announcements are in the dev forum to begin with, but it DEFINITELY needs moved.

Upvote 0
Well, it's there because it was designed FOR the developers that frequent and work off this site. Not for ...spam basically. Apps get pumped out all day ever day, I don't want us to be spammed or flooded with people signing up just to "announce" it.

Although... I COULD make it so only "App Dev" usergroup can post new th reads in there, then start forcing/encouraging people to apply to be pu tin that usergroup - with a certain post count/history here as well.

Or remove the section.

Or simply move it and just try to make sure it remains non-spammy.

Upvote 0
Here is my crack at it.:)

Android Lounge (285 Viewing)
A place for general Android discussion and questions.

Applications (discussion) (660 Viewing)
All the information you could ever want about Android Applications. Learn about apps and get help with them... all here!
subforum_new.gif
Audio, Video, & Ringtones,
subforum_new.gif
App Reviews,
subforum_new.gif
Announcements

Android Games (319 Viewing)
subforum_new.gif
Game Reviews,
subforum_new.gif
Post Your Codes,
subforum_new.gif
Announcements

Application Development (121 Viewing)
Dev Lounge for the Coder Folks
subforum_new.gif
Game Announcements,
subforum_new.gif
App Announcements,
subforum_new.gif
Beta Tests
subforum_new.gif
(MIT) App Inventor,
subforum_new.gif
Enterprise
subforum_new.gif
Job Listings
****Note: Game And App Announcements as a link to the subs in their respective forums with out the link prefix****

Android Themes (66 Viewing)
Customize the look/feel of your Android with wallpaper, icons, graphics and more!
subforum_new.gif
Wallpapers

Custom ROMs (3 Viewing)
subforum_new.gif
Bionx
subforum_old.gif
bearsfan85
subforum_new.gif
death2all110
subforum_new.gif
Diablo67's Roms & Customs
subforum_new.gif
Enigma
subforum_old.gif
GalnetMIUI
subforum_new.gif
Getitnowmarketing
subforum_new.gif
Indiedevers
subforum_old.gif
liquid0624
subforum_new.gif
NoLiMiT06's Devland
subforum_new.gif
PlayfulGod [] scrosler [] smurfland [] StormDroid [] Team boLTEd [] Team Nocturnal [] Techno [] Velocity [] Virtuous [ ] Ziggy & Mobstergunz

If all those forums would be listed above the device forums then I would love to cast my vote for this arrangement. Not sure if that's how it's intended or not since there has been resistance to move things from the bottom up. Also like the wallpapers subforum. Nice to have a dedicated home for those imo.

Reactions: Unforgiven
Upvote 0
Ok, I've added this to my to-do list. The one I get to every so often that is a lower priority than other things I have to stay caught up on. This may require a lot of planning and doing, and depending on what all is decided I may have to run it through Rob first. Feel free to keep discussing and fine tuning if you like. I'll be back. :)

It may have to wait a few weeks though. Sorry :( I do very much like this effort though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones