• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps closing, need more memory

dishe

Nov 22, 2010
So, I've noticed apps close a lot on my f3, much more than other similar phones did for me (Galaxy Victory, etc).
They don't crash and force close, but just silently shut off while running in the background because the OS runs out of space I think. This is particularly annoying when using apps that stream audio like Pandora or an app for my school that streams recorded lectures (that's the most annoying because I leave it running and listen while doing other things on the phone. 10 seconds after being pushed to the background, it closes without warning. I then have to reopen it, find the lecture I was listening to, and find where I was up to. as it doesn't pick up where I left off). I've found it also happens to navigation more than once, which was super frustrating because I was waiting for the next turn, and it never told me... lo and behold, I checked and found Nav had closed without warning, who knows how long ago. And forget about running Nav and Pandora at the same time- something I used to always do on road trips with nearly EVERY other android device I ever owned!

Anyway, I know the device has limited memory, so I'm trying some things. I downloaded kernel tuner and adjusted the OOM preset to light. That seems to make it last longer, but apps like music streamers still close if I so much as open a text message window over it. According to Kernel Tuner's task manager, I can see that the device really is just struggling for free memory, with stupid things like Sprint Zone and Connection Optimizer sitting in RAM even though I don't want or use them.

What else can I do, short of installing a custom rom, to free up some memory and allow this thing to multitask like an Android device is supposed to? Is a ROM the only way to really remove this bloatware?

Because to be honest, I kind of like the stock ROM- Qslide is pretty useful for example, and it looks like the rom devs consider that part of the bloat.

It's simple. If apps you want to run are shutting down for lack of RAM, you need to lighten the load. That means a lean, mean ROM (no Touchwiz) no Sprint Zone, etc. Strip it down and you should be OK.
Right, the question is, does such a ROM exist for my phone- one that removes the Sprint bloat but still keeps the LG customizations that I DO like (Touchwiz is a Samsung thing, but LG's Qslide and Quickmemo are actually really good add ons that made me pick this phone over other similar class ones).

Meanwhile, I agree with the sentiment but my Galaxy Victory was able to multitask without closing apps, and it has the same amount of RAM as this does.
Is it because of Android 4.1? The Victory ran 4.0, I think. Is 4.1 more resource intensive and/or more aggressive with closing apps?

Upvote 0
What about apps that load in the background even if I'm not using them, like Pandora? I was pretty surprised to see the service listed as running in my Kernel Tuner's task manager after a fresh reboot. Also, Sony Play Memories app (which I use to remote control my Sony camera) seems to do the same thing, as well as a handful of other apps that I'd assume won't run unless needed.

I don't want to freeze those apps as I do use them ocassionally, and reinstall/unfreeze seems like a tedious way to handle the situation.

Upvote 0
Are they actually running, or service-only processes, or merely cached in memory? Most task managers don't tell you.

Install System Panel. It will tell you that and more.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nextapp.systempanel.r1

It doesn't matter too much if apps load in the background unless they are running, active processes. That's the stuff that is actively using system resources.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ther
IDK if an AOSP ROM is available for your LG, I'll let you check into that, but you may have to go that way and skip the LG stuff. Maybe you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Then again, maybe you can strip out or freeze enough crap like Sprint Zone to leave room for desert. You won't know until you try.
there is an kk called liquid Smith out for this phone ask phenomx4 for the link or exclusive36 he working on a cm rom10 I believe

Reactions: Crashdamage
Upvote 0
Weird, why is no thread about any of this? I wanted to find out where things have progressed and if its a ROM I'm really interested in trying, but there is nothing about it I can find.

Meanwhile, I don't necessary need an AOSP rom. I don't mind the LG customizations, I just want something as close to stock as possible that won't close apps so often.

Upvote 0
In your case, the reason for using a n AOSP ROM is to run a stripped down, lightweight version of Android. Losing added weight like the LG customizations is a necessary part of that. And a lighter load, so to speak, is what you need to make the phone run faster, smoother, and without apps closing and crashing.

I understand the concept, but there aren't any solid AOSP roms anyway. So I'd rather have something closer to stock that works than something half baked that doesn't!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones