• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Apps Disappearing (Yes, this old problem)

C

cjeam

(I wrote all this then lost the post, grrr)

Hi. I own a Samsung Galaxy J1 running completely stock 4.4.4.

Today I did two things, first moved a few apps to the SD card, later on I turned on ultra power saving, ultimately the battery died.

Turning the phone back on this mode was still enabled, so I disabled it, when I did almost all my apps were gone. Many missing altogether some displaying the android ghost with a little SD card next to it.

The apps are listed in the application manager and are marked as disabled. There is no option to enable. Trying to move an app from phone to SD storage fails, as does vice versa. Even pressing the uninstall button does nothing at all (not even an error message!).

I have tried multiple reboots. I have tried removing the SD card. I have tried force stopping TouchWiz Home and clearing the defaults. I have tried booting into safe mode and clearing the cache, both with and without the SD card in.

The only apps showing in the app launcher are Phone, Contacts (which seems to still have all my contacts), Messages, Settings, Google, Voice Search, Google Settings and Internet. That's it. That's not even all the ones the thing came with!

Any ideas?

Reactions: rasekarpravin11
Do you know if your SD is actually OK? Because apps moved to SD and disappearing was one of the old problems, if the SD was duff. Is it a new SD, where did you buy it, be aware there's a lot of fakes around, especially from Ebay and online wholesalers. I'm sure that's one reason why moving apps to SD was removed from certain versions of Android, because of possible reliability issues with them.

Reactions: Daniel Fernandes
Upvote 0
The SD's a genuine Sandisk high(er) performance one so I doubt that's the issue. And since the problem was still present with the SD removed, I doubt it was that. I noticed going into ultra power saving mode and selecting the facebook app to be available brought it back.
I fixed it eventually: I went into application manager and via the function menu reset all app preferences, which clears which apps have previously beed marked as disabled. Nothing went back to the right places on the home screen but they're all available again now. So stay away from ultra power saving mode it looks like.

Upvote 0
Great info Mr Cjeam..since all the people that got help here never return to even bother in saying what was the solution to the problem they even come in here to begging with..that would be helpful so we all can learn in balance and peace to continue helping others instead of the guessing game..

THANK YOU a lot, my friend!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones