1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Root Apps2SD on Rooted Stock 2.1 ROM?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jesch88, Feb 13, 2011.

1. jesch88

jesch88 Newbie

I've been doing some research but have found conflicting information.

Is it at all possible to set up Apps2SD on a stock 2.1 ROM (rooted). I just need more app space.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

2. scotty85

scotty85 Extreme Android User

3. Bob Cat

Bob Cat Careful, They're sharp!!
    VIP Member

Well I thought I'd give xtrSENSE 4.6.5 a try (I'm with you Scotty, flashing too many rom's to keep my sig updated). Not familiar with the apps2sd thing (I think Scary uses this as a daily driver). When I go into TI, I now have Internal storage with 145mb free, sd storage with 4.97gb free, and apps2sd which is full with 1.67mb free. Is this normal? Sure looks like I used alot of memory but on what?:eek:

4. scotty85

Bobcat,eclair roms move apps differently than froyo ROMs and must have the sd car partitioned in order to work correctly. If you want to use this feature you'll have to back up your card,and reformat it,and partition it.

I don't know what will happen if you try and move something with a non partitioned card :eek:

When I play with eclair rims I just flash like i do any rom and don't try and move apps to sd. Never had a prollem or anything weird happen.

I have run across a couple users that have an sd card for each to save time- 1 for eclair Roms, 1 for froyo :)

As for your original question... I'm not sure if that sounds normal or not

5. Bob Cat

VIP Member

Good to know. I flashed it like all others. Heeyyy Scary what's your take on this.

6. doogald

doogald Extreme Android User

As I recall with xtrSENSE, trying to set up apps2sd without partitioning the SD card will just do nothing. Until you partition the SD card and then run the gscript to activate apps2sd, you are not running with any apps on the SD card.

With the default cache2cache on xtrSENSE, I cannot believe that anybody has enough apps to require apps2sd as well!

Titanium seems to misreport a ROM that has an internal folder /system/sd as having apps2sd enabled. That's the mount point that the Eclair apps2sd ROMs use to move the apps to SD, but just having it there as a placeholder in case somebody wants apps2sd doesn't necessarily mean that you have apps2sd.

7. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary

lol, sorry, doogald's your apps2sd go-to guy around here :p...

I've stayed away from formatting (or even needing to) my SD card... xtrROM 5.0 is what I've got installed right now...plenty of space.

Cheers!

8. Bob Cat

VIP Member

Well i'm not into the formatting thing so maybe I'll check out xtrROM 5.0

9. scotty85

sounds like your fine to stay on xtrsense if you want to. nothing bad is gonna happen with an unpartioned card,you just cant move apps to it :)

10. doogald

doogald Extreme Android User

Right - as far as apps2sd goes, xtrSENSE and xtrROM do it the same way.

11. Bob Cat

VIP Member

I'm on xtrROM 5.0 right now but that could change by tomorrow.:D

12. scotty85

now you sound like me :D (wont say wether thats good or bad ;) )

13. Bob Cat

VIP Member

yea I'm just a flashin fool.:D

14. bberryhill0

bberryhill0 Android Expert

I'm out of room on xtrROM 4.6.5. It's those darn 5MB apps. Factbook and Photaf come to mind. I saw one interesting app that ONLY uses 11MB of internal memory, the 400MB database is stored on the card. Astro takes 2MB. When you have 100 apps those numbers add up.

15. scotty85

thats more apps than you can shake a stick at! :D