• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Are all these hardware issues with the EVO eligible for repair/replacement by HTC or Sprint?

tracerit

Android Enthusiast
May 7, 2010
Orange County, CA
Love the EVO but I'm concerned with the following issues:

1. wifi strength - an issue now because i haven't activated the phone yet, but when i get cell service it'll be fine i'm sure

2. glass separating - don't have it but users are saying it's the adhesive underneath and that it might wear off after use

3. grounding issue - just found out about it today in the news, not a big concern but i will be using the phone as a nav unit when my mount comes in so i can't test this.

i only have 2/3 of the problems but who knows what i might run into a month or two from now when my 30 days are up. just wondering if these are problems that HTC or Sprint will find eligible for a replacement phone in the future.

did you have the Sprint TEP service? I'm wondering if I should get it or not.

I have always had the TEP service and it has paid off. It covers everything for 7 per month so you figure you pay 84 bucks per year to replace your phone often for free but in the case of water damage, left, or loss a $100 deductible is applied but still cheaper than buying a new phone. Don't worry about issues you do not have yet and may never have. If you do get the issue of screen separation it is covered for the first year. I have had zero build issues and even if my WiFi looks like it has a weak signal sometimes (0 bars, just a dot) it still flys on the internet and speed tests are well over 14000 Kbps with zero drop off

Upvote 0
With a smart phone, TEP is a must. When your 30 days are up, almost anything can happen to the phone from hardware to software.

On top of that, as good as HTC phones are, they always have a good amount of problem units out the gate. So if your a early adopter (got one in the 1st few weeks) than you should understand there is a good chance that you may run into problems.

Upvote 0

1. wifi strength - an issue now because i haven't activated the phone yet, but when i get cell service it'll be fine i'm sure

2. glass separating - don't have it but users are saying it's the adhesive underneath and that it might wear off after use

3. grounding issue - just found out about it today in the news, not a big concern but i will be using the phone as a nav unit when my mount comes in so i can't test this.

i only have 2/3 of the problems but who knows what i might run into a month or two from now when my 30 days are up. just wondering if these are problems that HTC or Sprint will find eligible for a replacement phone in the future.

Excuse me??? From what you said, you have None of these issues. You haven't even activated phone so don't know about wifi. You said your screen isn't an issue. And you just found out about grounding issue by reading.

Then go on to say you have 2/3 of the problems??

Wow.

Upvote 0

I don't think this is an actual issue. I was complaining to my brother about my Wifi signal always being low and he pointed out the threads online about it possibly just being an icon issue. I tested the Wifi connection when it was showing 2 or 3 bars and it was as fast as when it said 5 bars. The only time I notice a drop off was at 1 bar, and even then it was pretty darned quick.

Upvote 0
Excuse me??? From what you said, you have None of these issues. You haven't even activated phone so don't know about wifi. You said your screen isn't an issue. And you just found out about grounding issue by reading.

Then go on to say you have 2/3 of the problems??

Wow.

What's your problem here? To can use WiFi without activating the phone on Sprint. The grounding issue exists when I'm using the phone on my bed. So what are you talking about? Lol

Upvote 0
not sure exactly what people mean by grounding issue, if they are talking about the phone not working if you are not holding it, I know several people with the Evo, and none of us have had this issue. (several = 6 and all purchased from different locations in the same 50 mile radius)

I do have the wifi icon issue, although I get fantastic throughput (again as mentioned by someone else, better than my wired network through the same router, sometimes), I used the network discovery on the strength meter (very awesome) and I get -92/-93db everywhere in the house (3 stories, router is on main floor in a closet under the stairs) including standing 2 feet away from the router with no physical objects between it and my phone.

I do have the glass issue and will be checking with a couple of the others I know in the area tomorrow to see if they are as well. My glass is not too bad, flush instead of recessed, but the light leakage can be seen in a well lit room.

Upvote 0
I thought this grounding issue was in all of the EVO's. Won't your replacement EVO have the same issue? I have not heard of HTC addressing any issues up to this point regarding screens, grounding or otherwise.

thats what i thought too. i have this, but dont plan on replacing it. only time i experience it is when i'm too lazy to touch the phone with my other hand (phone on the table and i only have 1 free hand, trying to scroll a webpage down when its on its kickstand, etc.). if the glass thing becomes an issue, then it'll go back.

Upvote 0
I thought this grounding issue was in all of the EVO's. Won't your replacement EVO have the same issue? I have not heard of HTC addressing any issues up to this point regarding screens, grounding or otherwise.

The grounding issue is not on all Evo's, I just got my replacement today and it works on all surfaces unlike my first one with the grounding issue.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones